#1 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

http://www.nj.com/de...a_gets_a_n.html

"No, I was too young," Leblond said. "I've seen the team pictures here. I always thought it was good."

So does Andrew Peters.

"Awesome. I think they're really cool. It will be neat to see," Peters said after practice. "I love when teams do retro. They should bring back the Winnipeg Jets jerseys in Phoenix and the Minnesota North Stars. Carolina should wear the Hartford Whalers jerseys and the Cooperalls.

"It reminds me of when you were a kid. If they went full retro, I'd go with no helmet and a mustache. Take all the labels off the boards. No music, just organ. Have a total throwback night."

That was the first time I laughed because of Andrew Peters in ages, rather than shaking my head. Well played, Andrew.

Mark Fraser is among those who feel using the original colors just once "keeps it special." General manager Lou Lamoriello told me he would consider using retro jerseys once a season, but no more.

Lou's going soft. :lol:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#2 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

Yeah but Lou's a superstitious freak...if we ever lost this game in the throwbacks after going five for five against the Pens this year, those babies are going back in the closet for good, or at least as long as he's around.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#3 Easy Parise

Easy Parise

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Yeah but Lou's a superstitious freak...if we ever lost this game in the throwbacks after going five for five against the Pens this year, those babies are going back in the closet for good, or at least as long as he's around.

i'd be surprised if lou even shows up to the game. he'll probably be at the bottom of a bottle somewhere, lamenting the use of the jerseys. :(
Posted Image

#4 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

yeah one of the reasons i've always been 50-50 about lou. the lack of 3rd jerseys and the fact we actually have a numbering system? i guess tradition is important, but that's limiting things a little much. and how do we get people like Richer, Mogilny and Gilmour and they're allowed to break the numbering system?

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#5 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

I love Peters comments, he plays it old school.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#6 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

I really cannot hate on Andrew Peters at all.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#7 magicducksauce

magicducksauce

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

love the fact that we're the only team besides detroit that doesn't have a 3rd jersey (if you don't count the winter classic). i like honoring the green too even though i don't like them, retro is cool...even if it honors the dark days of losing a lot.
Posted Image
Thanks to Zajkisen for this pic!

#8 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Honors all our foundation players who set this franchise up and had to take the losses. Go Duke Blue Devils. Go NJ Green Devils!!
Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#9 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

Speaking of Lou and his numbering system etc, I was wondering if there's some kind of a rule that you can't have a beard in Devils? I mean, now that Gionta is no longer a Devil he has that beard and Oduya's been rocking that thick facial hair in Atlanta as well. I know this is weird, but I was just wondering :D

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#10 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Speaking of Lou and his numbering system etc, I was wondering if there's some kind of a rule that you can't have a beard in Devils? I mean, now that Gionta is no longer a Devil he has that beard and Oduya's been rocking that thick facial hair in Atlanta as well. I know this is weird, but I was just wondering :D

NO facial hair policy, just like the Yanks....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#11 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

I wish they brought back the red and green for good but I guess I'd settle for them as a 3rd jersey.

Edited by Elias26, 16 March 2010 - 06:39 PM.

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#12 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

The red and green permanently would be a terrible move. I would like to see it 2-3 times a year....maybe Sunday games and St. Patty's day

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#13 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

Well it didn't really generate the hype they expected when it was advertised as a "one time only" thing.. Not to mention that we won't always have 3/17 home game
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 openheads

openheads

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

No 3rd jersey for the devils.
I love that we are fans of an organization building a real fundamental tradition. No gimmicks, no BS, just winning & hard work.
This is a great limited event.
If (when) the Devs have another St. Patty's game, do it again. Until then, nah.................

#15 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

bah.... the only throwback i want out there is stevens...
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#16 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Well it didn't really generate the hype they expected when it was advertised as a "one time only" thing.. Not to mention that we won't always have 3/17 home game

I'mm not so sure that's true. The Devils can arrange that if Lou pressures the league.

#17 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

I'mm not so sure that's true. The Devils can arrange that if Lou pressures the league.

I think next year's a definite no, though. The Rock is hosting opening round NCAA tournament games next year, I don't see how a Devils game can squeeze in too.

That said, if not for that, it's definitely possible. The Stars always play at home on New Year's Eve...I'm reasonably certain the Isles always play a matinee on Martin Luther King day...so it's possible to do, but next year seems unlikely because the the Prudential Center's schedule.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#18 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

yeah one of the reasons i've always been 50-50 about lou. the lack of 3rd jerseys and the fact we actually have a numbering system? i guess tradition is important, but that's limiting things a little much. and how do we get people like Richer, Mogilny and Gilmour and they're allowed to break the numbering system?

They had long been established wearing their numbers before they came here, so Lou made exceptions. He actually wanted Gilmour to take #9 I believe.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#19 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

i'd be surprised if lou even shows up to the game. he'll probably be at the bottom of a bottle somewhere, lamenting the use of the jerseys. :(

Nah, Lou's not one to imbibe... he'll probably be catching the action at Panera while enjoying a flat-bread turkey wrap and an iced tea. :P

I love Peters comments, he plays it old school.

Totally down with the Peters comments. The league should look into one big throwback night. That would be insanely awesome.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#20 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

I think next year's a definite no, though. The Rock is hosting opening round NCAA tournament games next year, I don't see how a Devils game can squeeze in too.

Unless they move St. Patty's day back a week, it won't be a problem. The Rock is hosting the East Regional games (sweet 16/elite 8), not the opening round, on March 25 and 27
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users