#21 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:25 AM

*waits patiently to see what STB/HOS has to say about this*

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:28 AM

I have to imagine they signed for one year.

The Avs will have to get goaltending from somewhere now, perhaps Khabibulin? They can now confidently deal Alex Tanguay for goaltending help, or sign Felix Potvin.

If Forsberg is leaving next year, that gives the Avs the room to sign Kariya and Selanne for more than one year, but I can't imagine the Avs have the room to keep all of those players together for more than one year.

The Ducks now have to be the front runners for Sergei Fedorov. They must sign him or lose everything they have gained this season.

Selanne and Kariya have never been great playoff players. Now they have the ensemble cast to do something. Still, though, their game relies on speed and skill, and the NHL playoffs is a grind...

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

Where do these franchises find that kind of obscene money? :blink: You know it has to be high between the two of them.

Colorado gets it's $$$ from Wal-Mart. The Avs owner is married to one of Sam Walton's daughters and uses as least part of her $$$ to fund the team. Interestingly, the other Walton daughter is married to the owner of the Blues.

So...don't shop at Wal-Mart. Not only will you cease giving money to the evil empire that is W-M, you will stop supporting the Avs and the Blues.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#24 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:33 AM

So...don't shop at Wal-Mart. Not only will you cease giving money to the evil empire that is W-M, you will stop supporting the Avs and the Blues.

Excellent point Sue! :evil:
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#25 ladyshrouds

ladyshrouds

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:34 AM

Where do these franchises find that kind of obscene money? :blink: You know it has to be high between the two of them.

Colorado gets it's $$$ from Wal-Mart. The Avs owner is married to one of Sam Walton's daughters and uses as least part of her $$$ to fund the team. Interestingly, the other Walton daughter is married to the owner of the Blues.

HA HA HA HA HA I never liked Wal-Mart anyways...LOL! :P

I'm a Target fan! :D

#26 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:40 AM

WOW! I am in shock. As soon as ILB told me I got chills. I spread the word pretty quick here and the resident Duck fans all about dropped dead on the floor. The Ducks really screwed the pooch. They had so much success this year and now they will miss the playoffs next year. I must say Selanne and Kariya are very smart. If they want the cup they have a chance. First Colorado must get a goalie.
Is Jiggy available? :blink:
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#27 ladyshrouds

ladyshrouds

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:42 AM

HA HA HA THE BANDWAGONEERS & TRUE FANS ARE NOW JUMPING SHIP! :P

And yeah, if they do want the cup, they just made the best move possible... :D

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:44 AM

The Ducks were screwed either way. Kariya for 10 million was just too much. For what that guy did in the playoffs, his salary could not be justified, and Murray wanted to build a championship team, not try to coast into the playoffs and get knocked out first round.

They replace Kariya with Fedorov and go on. If they can't get Fedorov, I am not sure what they will do.

Plus, they have Stanislav Chistov, who will make some people forget about Kariya in 3 years.

#29 ladyshrouds

ladyshrouds

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:45 AM

So, who's going to buy the Ducks now??? :P

#30 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:48 AM

Let's remember that the Sucks were on the bottom of the barrel and made their way to the Finals--top names and plenty of money don't guarantee anything. :)
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#31 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:50 AM

true, but I like Colorado's chances alot better than the Ducks right now.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#32 Have Another Donut

Have Another Donut

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:51 AM

OVER-RATED OVER-RATED

Why all the panic? These guys will do the usual , put up big regular season numbers and disappear in the playoffs. Selanne is a no-guts perimeter player and Kariya is one concussion away from retirement.
In case you have a short memory-the Devils methodically eat guys like these for breakfast.
"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." Dr. Jerry Graham

#33 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:52 AM

El Chico now hates this floating peice of sh!t avatar even more. Looks like they've replaced the Wings as the Rangers of the West.
Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

#34 ladyshrouds

ladyshrouds

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:53 AM

It is a whole new dynamic though...They aren't with the Ducks, they are with a whole new team, together...They are going to get a fire up their a$$ next season and I think they will do quite well...May be somewhat over-rated...But Kariya is a great team player and I think he will blend it WELL with the AVS...Especially since Selanne will be there... :)

#35 ladyshrouds

ladyshrouds

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:54 AM

El Chico now hates this floating peice of sh!t avatar even more. Looks like they've replaced the Wings as the Rangers of the West.

They are definitely right up there El Chico...

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:55 AM

The Avs now have the best power play in the league, but they are still lacking depth and a goaltender. Have Another Donut is right.. Kariya's failure to pay the price until about Game 5 cost the Ducks the series and his leadership was strangely absent until Game 6, but by then it was too late. Teemu Selanne has always been a perimeter player and his failure to re-attain elite scoring status in San Jose was a prime reason for their failures of seasons past.

I liked the Avs chances better than the Ducks even before this signing, but I still put the Ducks down for a 2nd round berth if they continued as is.. now it looks unlikely unless they sign one of the big names.

#37 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:56 AM

Heres the espn storyAvalanche reunite Selanne, Kariya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne are apparently together again.

The Sports Network of Canada reported on its Web site Thursday that the Avalanche have signed both players.

According to the report, the team plans to announce the signings at a news conference today at 4 p.m. ET.

Selanne and Kariya were linemates with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks before Selanne was traded to the San Jose Sharks during the 2000-01 season.

Kariya, who comes with a $10 million price tag, did not receive a qualifying offer from the Ducks after netting 25 goals and 81 points last season. The Shakers reportedly did not want to pay $6.5 million for Selanne, who had 64 points last season.

The move is a surprise after general manager Pierre Lacroix recently told the Denver Post that the team would not spend big on the free-agent market.

The Avs already boast a solid offense -- with players like Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg and Milan Hejduk -- and many thought Colorado would shop for a goaltender after Patrick Roy announced his retirement last month. Roy's move freed up some $8.5 million. Forsberg signed a new one-year deal with the team on June 25.

The NHL's collective-bargaining agreement expires Sept. 15, 2004, and could effect the 2004-05 season, with a potential salary cap.
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#38 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:57 AM

Posted Image

P.S. ilovebrodeur30, is that nipple I see in your avatar? :huh:
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#39 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:58 AM

Is Forsberg thinking of hanging it up after next year?
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#40 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:58 AM

(ESPN Article)

No free spending on free agents

"The Avs may have saved some $8.5 million with the retirement of Patrick Roy but don't expect them to put that money towards signing any big name unrestricted free agents. "We will not change our philosophy as an organization this year from previous years," president and general manager Pierre Lacroix told the Denver Post June 20. In recent years, the team has concentrated on signing its own players before any high-profile unrestricted free agents. The collective bargaining agreement expires Sept. 15, 2004, and could effect the 2004-05 season, with a potential salary cap. So available players like Sergei Fedorov (Detroit), Derian Hatcher (Dallas), Brian Leetch (Rangers), Teemu Selanne (Sharks), Joe Nieuwendyk (Devils), Eric Desjardins (Flyers) and Darren McCarty (Red Wings) likely won't be wearing an Avs sweater next season."
Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users