NHL & Sweden agree to transfer agreement

Patches O'Houlihan

Probably the most interesting aspect from a Devils perspective is 1st rounders under 22 can be returned to their Swedish club if the don't make an NHL roster. That could mean Tedenby and Josefson may never see any AHL action.

Deadline for signings is June 15th, or August 15th during the players draft year.

It doesn't state anything about draft re-entry, so it's not clear if Tedenby would go back into this years draft if he isn't signed prior to June 15th.

Link is Swedish, should be something on TSN soon, I would guess.

My link

Probably the most interesting aspect from a Devils perspective is 1st rounders under 22 can be returned to their Swedish club if the don't make an NHL roster. That could mean Tedenby and Josefson may never see any AHL action.

Deadline for signings is June 15th, or August 15th during the players draft year.

It doesn't state anything about draft re-entry, so it's not clear if Tedenby would go back into this years draft if he isn't signed prior to June 15th.

Link is Swedish, should be something on TSN soon, I would guess.

My link

The timing of this is very good for Tedenby and Josefson. I've watched a lot of international hockey and the Swedish Elite League's quality of play is superior to the AHL. If Tedenby and Josefson can get real playing time on their SEL clubs it will make the jump to the NHL much easier. Something like this may have helped Bergfors develop quicker.

The key part to that argument is IF they get real playing time in the SEL. I'd rather take my chances with developing them in the American League where the Devils organization can control their minutes then hoping they get 1st or 2nd line ice time in the Swedish League.

The timing of this is very good for Tedenby and Josefson. I've watched a lot of international hockey and the Swedish Elite League's quality of play is superior to the AHL. If Tedenby and Josefson can get real playing time on their SEL clubs it will make the jump to the NHL much easier. Something like this may have helped Bergfors develop quicker.

The key part to that argument is IF they get real playing time in the SEL. I'd rather take my chances with developing them in the American League where the Devils organization can control their minutes then hoping they get 1st or 2nd line ice time in the Swedish League.

i think both are interesting points but i have a feeling that we'll know the answer better once we see what lou does

That's really good to hear. I wonder how this will affect teams, since certain teams have been drafting Swedes recently (Devils included). And I wonder if this could mean that more teams will delve into the SEL over other leagues, including Canadian Juniors. I mean, not a huge decrease but some change could occur.

MZA is probably heading to Detroit, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah thats what I was hearing also, his agent said something about not wanting to send him to a defensive minded team, and that Detroit was one of his prefered options.

Probably because its basically where most of the swedish national team hangs out when there arn't international games on :giggle: . 7 Swedes, crazy stuff.