#21 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:15 PM

.c The Associated Press

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) - New York Rangers forward Roman Lyashenko was found dead in a hotel room while vacationing in Turkey.

The Rangers said Monday that the cause of death wasn't immediately known. However, Turkey's Anatolia news agency reported it was a suicide.

Yuri Koritskiy, a Russian consular official, said the 24-year-old hockey player had been with his mother and sister in Antalya, a southern Mediterranean resort province popular with Russian and other European tourists. He said Lyashenko died Saturday but would not provide any other details.

The Anatolia news agency said Lyashenko apparently hanged himself with his belt in his hotel room.

The consulate was making preparations to send the body back to Russia this week, Koritskiy said.

Lyashenko played regularly with the Dallas Stars his first two seasons in the NHL, then was traded to the New York Rangers late in the 2001-02 season. Last season, the forward played one game with New York, spending the year with Hartford for the American Hockey League, where he had 23 goals and 35 assists.

``Roman was a quality individual who had a positive impact on everyone he touched, both on and off the ice,'' said Glen Sather, the Rangers' president, general manager and coach.

In 138 NHL games, Lyashenko had 14 goals and nine assists. The Russian was selected by Dallas in the second round of the 1997 NHL entry draft.

07/07/03 15:05 EDT
So Say We All

#22 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:17 PM

:huh:

:saddevil:

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#23 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:17 PM

Suicide? Why oh why? That has to be the MOST tragic cause of death and the most difficult for the family to deal with. So very sad.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#24 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:18 PM

:saddevil:
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#25 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:22 PM

The Rangers have called a 4:30 PM ET Press Conference, most likely to address and discuss the death of Lyashenko.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#26 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:27 PM

So very, very sad. Poor Roman, and poor family.

Grant, Jamie & Joe all played with him.

:(
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:34 PM

The Stars have put up a photo "In Memoriam" on their front page. Very nice.

http://www.dallasstars.com/
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#28 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:34 PM

Very classy on the Stars' part. So sad.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#29 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:42 PM

very classy of the Stars....
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#30 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:58 PM

Suicide or made to look like a suicide...I tend to doubt he would plan and dew that with his mother so close by...we can speculate however we will never know...haunting :(
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#31 dallasdevil15

dallasdevil15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 03:01 PM

It's just getting worse and worse. I must have missed the part that he hung himself. I don't understand it but I guess we won't. I was really hoping that the Stars would put something up, indeed very classy.

#32 MaddDog

MaddDog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 05:00 PM

I was sort of wondering what Dew did - was it an legitimate suicide, or a homicide MADE TO LOOK LIKE a suicide? It seemed a bit odd of him to be killing himself when he's on vacation with him mom and sister, no less :( . Either way, it's way too tragic and sad.

(I do realize anyone can pretty much commit suicide whenever they want, just don't know how many people elect to do so outside the country on a trip is all..... and god knows there's so much Russian mob/mafia sh**, it makes me wonder).

#33 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 05:10 PM

My husband was thinking what's up with that...did they throw a game or agree to then not? Are memebers of the team being systematically taken out or something?

I'm here for the party

#34 ladyshrouds

ladyshrouds

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 05:14 PM

I was sort of wondering what Dew did - was it an legitimate suicide, or a homicide MADE TO LOOK LIKE a suicide? It seemed a bit odd of him to be killing himself when he's on vacation with him mom and sister, no less :( . Either way, it's way too tragic and sad.

(I do realize anyone can pretty much commit suicide whenever they want, just don't know how many people elect to do so outside the country on a trip is all..... and god knows there's so much Russian mob/mafia sh**, it makes me wonder).

In a hotel room with his mom and sister (i believe) with him...too sad...

#35 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 05:34 PM

In earlier news, Marilyn Monroe also commited suicide. No Kennedys were available for comment.

#36 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 06:44 PM

This was shocking to me and it is really tragic. On the Russian mob, they do have a strong presence in Turkey and they did demand money from players before (especially players with family in Russia)
Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

#37 -C-

-C-

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:42 PM

I read a translation of the original article off a Russian news site. It was tough to make out, but it sounded like a former teammate and the coach of Lyashenko's former team in Russia have also died recently of suspicious causes.

Something very odd about this one. :(

#38 -C-

-C-

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:47 PM

Here's the Babel translation of the site I mentioned above (it's real rough):

Russian forvard of cloud/club NKHL "New York Reyndzhers" 24- summer novel Lyashenko tragically camber, being found on leisure in Turkey.

The details of the death of young hockey player are not thus far known.However, information about the death 24- summer of eks- that attacking team Russia (Lyashenko it was drawn into the national composite in 1999, but into the composition of the composite of Aleksandr yakusheva to the championship of peace/world into Norway it did not fall at the last moment/torque) in the telephone conversation with the correspondent "gazety.Ru" confirmed the general manager of Yaroslavl "locomotive" Yuri Lukin.Lyashenko before its departure in NKHL it spoke in favor of Yaroslavl cloud/club, because they perceived the tragedy of hockey player in Yaroslavl' closely to the heart.

On one of the versions, in Turkey it was located on leisure together with the family and died of the heart insufficiency in the hotel number.In all likelihood, Lyashenko it died in the sleep.Turkish policemen arrived in the hotel in the morning revealed/detected Lyashenko by already dead.The hockey community of Russia is found in the shock and it is not thus far ready to give the official explanations to the occurred tragedy.Thus far sharp/acute heart insufficiency the lethal outcome considers the most plausible version of death Lyashenko, although they speak both about the auto-catastrophe and about the fact that Lyashenko it sunk/drowned in the sea.

Lyashenko no longer first loss, which bears the Yaroslavl hockey.

During January of 2003 years, let us recall, on the balcony of its own apartment was found the body of the trainer of the Yaroslavl cloud/club of Aleksey Traseukh.As a result of investigation it was established that it was shot down from the gun.

Then, on 6 June of this year, into the auto-catastrophe fell the shielding the colors of "locomotive" player team Russia, close friend Lyashenko Vladimir Antipov.As a result of emergency perished the wife of hockey player Mary, player himself with the numerous damages was delivered into the hospital

But is still earlier, in 1999, in the auto-catastrophe camber player then even Yaroslavl "torpedo" Vladimir Zhashkov.

It is necessary to say that the interseason is frequently turned around by tragedies for the Russian hockey players.Several years ago, being found on aqueous leisure, by the nelepeyshim means camber Russian enkhaelovets Dmitriy Tertyshnyy;however, present in spring, already after the end of season in Togliatti, in the emergency seriously suffered one of most talented Russian yuniorov of Igor Grigorenko.

By the way, Lyashenko, that was the captain of youth team Russia on the championship of the peace/world of 1999 victorious for it, in the future season completely could become odnoklubnikom Grigorenko.After five years, carried out after the ocean, the hockey player, who played in the finale of the goblet of Stanley 1999 - 2000 years, lost place in the basic composition of cloud/club NKHL. after passing by the spring of last year from "Dallas" to "New York Reyndzhers", novel Lyashenko so could not become its in the new command.Forvard of defensive plan already conducted negotiations from the tol'yattinskoy "Ladoy", which heads the former trainer Lyashenko on the Yaroslavl "torpedo" Peter Vorobyev, apropos of his return to Russia, but from completing them him death prevented.

#39 Tretyak 20

Tretyak 20

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:04 PM

-C-, Do you have a link to the original in Russian?
Fire Lou Now.

#40 -C-

-C-

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 09:26 PM

http://gazeta.ru/spo...7/a_40648.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users