78 replies to this topic

#1 GetReal

GetReal

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:00 PM

This is lengthy but it's funny, it's good, it's history and it interesting.

Ode to New Jersey:

New Jersey has THREE, count them, THREE Stanley Cups in 9 years because of the NJ Devils.

New Jersey is a peninsula.

Highlands, New Jersey has the highest elevation along the entire eastern seaboard, from Maine to Florida.

New Jersey is the only state where all of its counties are classified as metropolitan areas.

New Jersey has more race horses than Kentucky.

New Jersey has more Cubans in Union City (1 sq. mi.)than Havana, Cuba.

New Jersey has the most dense system of highways and railroads in the US.

New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is sometimes referred to as the 'Diner Capital of the World'.

New Jersey is home to the original mystery pork parts club (no, not spam)...Taylor Ham or Pork Roll.
Yo!.....with fried egg & mustard on a hardroll.

Home to the less mysterious but best Italian hot dogs and Italian sausage w/peppers and onions.

North Jersey has the most shopping malls in one area in the world, with seven major shopping malls in a 25 square mile radius.

New Jersey is home to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

The Passaic River was the site of the first submarine ride by inventor John P. Holland.

New Jersey has 50+ resort cities & towns, some of the nations' most famous: Asbury Park, Wildwood, Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Long Branch and Cape May.

New Jersey has the most stringent testing along our coastline for Water Quality Control than any other seaboard state in the entire country.

New Jersey is a leading technology & industrial state and is the largest chemical producing state in the nation when you include pharmaceuticals.

Jersey tomatoes are known the world over as being the best you can buy.

New Jersey is the world leader in blueberry and cranberry production (and here you thought Massachusetts?)

Here's to New Jersey-the toast of the country!
In 1642, the first brewery in America opened in Hoboken.

New Jersey rocks!
The famous Les Paul invented the first solid body electric guitar in Mahwah in 1940.

New Jersey is a major seaport state with the largest seaport in the US, located in Elizabeth.
Nearly 80% of what our nation imports comes through Elizabeth Seaport first.

New Jersey is home to one of the nation's busiest airports at Newark Liberty International.

George Washington slept here. Several important Revolutionary War battles were fought on New Jersey soil, led by General George Washington.

The light bulb, phonograph (record player) and motion picture projector,were invented by Thomas Edison in his Menlo Park, NJ laboratory.

We also boast the first town ever lit by incandescent bulbs.

The first seaplane was built in Keyport, NJ.

The first airmail (to Chicago) was started from Keyport, NJ.

The first phonograph records were made in Camden, NJ.

New Jersey is home to the Miss America pageant held in Atlantic City.

The game Monopoly, played all over the world, named the streets on their playing board after the actual streets in Atlantic City.

And Atlantic City has the longest boardwalk in the world.

New Jersey has the largest petroleum containment area outside of the Middle East countries.

The first Indian reservation was in New Jersey, in the Watchung Mountains.

New Jersey has the tallest water-tower in the world. (Union, NJ!!!)

New Jersey had the first Medical Center, in Jersey City.

The Pulaski SkyWay, from Jersey City to Newark, was the first skyway highway.

NJ built the first tunnel under a river, the Hudson. (Holland Tunnel).

The first baseball game was played in Hoboken, NJ, which is also the birthplace of Frank Sinatra.

The first intercollegiate football game was played in New Brunswick in 1889. (Rutgers College played Princeton.)

The first Drive-in Movie theater was opened in Camden, NJ.

New Jersey is home to both of "NEW YORK'S " ProFootball Teams!

The first radio station and broadcast was in Paterson, NJ.

All New Jersey natives:
Sal Martorano, Jack Nicholson, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Jason Alexander, Queen Latifa, Susan Sarandon, Connie Francis, Shaq, Judy Blume, Aaron Burr, Joan Robertson, Ken Kross, Dionne Warwick, Sarah Vaughn, Budd Abbott, Lou Costello, Alan Ginsberg, Norman Mailer, Marilynn McCoo,Flip Wilson, Alexander Hamilton, Whitney Houston, Eddie Money, Linda McElroy, Eileen Donnely, Grover Cleveland, Woodrow Wilson, Walt Whitman, Jerry Lewis, Tom Cruise, Richard Wojewodzki, Joyce Kilmer, Bruce Willis, Caesar Romero, Lauryn Hill, Ice-T, Nick Adams, Nathan Lane, Sandra Dee, Danny DeVito, Richard Conti, Joe Pesci, Joe Piscopo, Robert Blake, John Forsyth, Meryl Streep, Loretta Swit, Norman Lloyd, Paul Simon, Jerry Herman, Gorden McCrae, Kevin Spacey, John Travolta, Phyllis Newman, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Eva Marie Saint, Elisabeth Shue, Zebulon Pike, James Fennimore Cooper, Admiral Wm.Halsey,Jr., Dave Thomas(Wendy's), William Carlos Williams, Ray Liotta, Robert Wuhl, Paul Robeson, Ernie Kovacs, Joseph Macchia and of course........
Frank Albert Sinatra and "Uncle Floyd" Vivino.

You know you're from Jersey when....
You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges".

You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags.

A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.

You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.

You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3a.m.

You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.

At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and you know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from.

You know what a "jug handle" is.You know that WaWa is a convenience store.

You know that the state isn't all farmland.

You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey there's the shore and you don't go to the shore, you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore".

You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.

You knew that the last sentence had to do withdriving.

You know that this is the only "New..." state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico, York, Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?)

You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.

You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.

You don't think "What exit" is very funny.

You know that people from the 609 areacode are "a little different".
yes they are!

You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton - that's for out-of-staters.

The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or local bar.

You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.

You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers.

Every year you have at least one kid in your class named Tony.

You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.

You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall.

You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central Jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood. It can be no other way.

You weren't raised in New Jersey -- you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.

You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamburger's and Orbach's.

You've eaten a boardwalk sausage sandwhich with - peppers, onions and sauce!

You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February.

New Jersey Devils hockey is the best.

And finally...
You've NEVER, NEVER pumped your own gas.

#2 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:11 PM

We also invented the Texas wiener (in Paterson).

#3 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:15 PM

you can't get a Texas weiner in Texas.. hell most Texicans don't even know what one is :D
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#4 NJDF

NJDF

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:15 PM

New Jersey has TWO count them TWO Stanley Cups in 9 years because of the NJ Devils.

Isn't that 3 cups?

GO DEVILS!!

#5 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:18 PM

I guess Jerseyians can't count either, because we've won THREE count them THREE Stanley Cups in 9 years.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#6 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:22 PM

GR it was a good read (egregious error aside...though maybe this was written before the playoffs ended?).
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#7 dallasdevil15

dallasdevil15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:11 PM

you can't get a Texas weiner in Texas.. hell most Texicans don't even know what one is :D

:huh:
Ive been fortunate enough to play on some pretty good hockey teams, and Ive been fortunate enough to win two Stanley Cups. I dont know what more I could ask for. -Jamie

Posted Image

How much Mat could a Matvichuck chuck,
If a Matvichuck could chuck Mat?

#8 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:19 PM

oops.. I haven't used that Texcian comment before in here have I ?? It's an old homage to Jessie the Body Ventura who always called people from Texas Texicans which I found funny !!

.. or this is about the hot dogs and I feel stupid :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#9 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:51 PM

I'll confirm that . . . never heard of it!

Texicans??? What, did you go back and study Texas history? :P
(Early Anglo settlers were called Texicans.)
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:54 PM

New Jersey is the world leader in blueberry and cranberry production (and here you thought Massachusetts?)

Well, techn. we rank 2nd nationally in blueberry production, and 3rd nationally in cranberry :)

http://www.state.nj....nelands/cmp.htm
---

LOL, I remember reading that a week ago when I was trying to determine what each zone actually meant in the pinelands... a friend of mine does research there, and I didnt want to sound like an idiot :) hehehe.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#11 Dr. Death

Dr. Death

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:58 PM

GetReal: Great ode! You ought to email your ode to writers who love to mock Jersey.

#12 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:17 PM

GetReal: Great ode! You ought to email your ode to writers who love to mock Jersey.

Nice find, GR.

The latter half of this post has been brought up a few times on these boards since I've been here, along with a classic "Screw you for being anti-NJ" rant I found on the 'net.

DD, I'm sure many are already aware of these, they've been circulating for years. Oh, and if you're hardcore anti-Jersey, you just make fun of those things that NJ is proud of -- at least that's what all my PA friends who hate NJ do (real mature, hm?)

Consider this: It is my experience that, aside from Texas, no other state boasts people that are so dedicated to their state. Again, just my experiences, could be faulty if applied nationally.

Also, check this out: From my experiences, Pennsylvania folk have Penn State pride, but not state pride.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#13 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:27 PM

All New Jersey natives:
Sal Martorano, Jack Nicholson, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Jason Alexander, Queen Latifa, Susan Sarandon, Connie Francis, Shaq, Judy Blume, Aaron Burr, Joan Robertson, Ken Kross, Dionne Warwick, Sarah Vaughn, Budd Abbott, Lou Costello, Alan Ginsberg, Norman Mailer, Marilynn McCoo,Flip Wilson, Alexander Hamilton, Whitney Houston, Eddie Money, Linda McElroy, Eileen Donnely, Grover Cleveland, Woodrow Wilson, Walt Whitman, Jerry Lewis, Tom Cruise, Richard Wojewodzki, Joyce Kilmer, Bruce Willis, Caesar Romero, Lauryn Hill, Ice-T, Nick Adams, Nathan Lane, Sandra Dee, Danny DeVito, Richard Conti, Joe Pesci, Joe Piscopo, Robert Blake, John Forsyth, Meryl Streep, Loretta Swit, Norman Lloyd, Paul Simon, Jerry Herman, Gorden McCrae, Kevin Spacey, John Travolta, Phyllis Newman, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Eva Marie Saint, Elisabeth Shue, Zebulon Pike, James Fennimore Cooper, Admiral Wm.Halsey,Jr., Dave Thomas(Wendy's), William Carlos Williams, Ray Liotta, Robert Wuhl, Paul Robeson, Ernie Kovacs, Joseph Macchia and of course........
Frank Albert Sinatra and "Uncle Floyd" Vivino.

You can also add the future Mrs. Z-Man, Tara Reid. ;)

Posted Image

#14 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:00 PM

NJ is also home to the one and ONLY redruM :lol:
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#15 Dr. Death

Dr. Death

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:06 PM

iggy: Just because I follow the Minnesota teams or yearns for the days of living in the Midwest does not mean I am anti-Jersey. I live in North Jersey and I have enjoyed my time here. I am very proud to live in New Jersey. I am happy for the state when the Devils and Nets do good things. I get angry when I see people making fun of Jersey or bashing NJ which is why I encouraged Get Real to show that list to writers for particular publications and then shove it up to his or her butt.

#16 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:07 PM

Tara Reid is from like three miles away. Friend said he saw her at a pizza shop without make-up and she looked AWFUL... probably not as bad as he made it out to be because of all the "hype" of the magazines...

A Texas weiner has nothing to do with Texas. It is a (usually deep-fried) hot dog with chili sauce (not exactly chili, more of a sauce) and raw onions on it. This guy that came into the deli I worked at was a local historian on them. He's traveled all over, mostly in the state but also elsewhere, and says the best ones can be found at the Hot Grill, Falls View, and somewhere else I am forgetting...

#17 dallasdevil15

dallasdevil15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:16 AM

A Texas weiner has nothing to do with Texas. It is a (usually deep-fried) hot dog with chili sauce (not exactly chili, more of a sauce) and raw onions on it.

yummmmmmmmm we have chili dogs but not usually deep-fried. But then again I'm not a hot dog expert!
Ive been fortunate enough to play on some pretty good hockey teams, and Ive been fortunate enough to win two Stanley Cups. I dont know what more I could ask for. -Jamie

Posted Image

How much Mat could a Matvichuck chuck,
If a Matvichuck could chuck Mat?

#18 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:03 AM

New Jersey is home to the Statue of Liberty

with that .. New Jersey is the most french place ;)

#19 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:33 AM

You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamburger's and Orbach's.

Anyone remember Britts and Alexanders?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#20 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:47 AM

Doc D. I yearn to live in the midwest also and I have never lived there. SD in particular. Just gotta love those wide open spaces. But NJ is also a great place to live, just not as wide open and the winters are much better. :)
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users