134 replies to this topic

#121 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

That was chico's best game of the year..Actually got a deflection correct on parise's goal and had a few jokes that actually made sense..Chico hitting his stride heading in to the playoffs
"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#122 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

And why would that be? Because he is playing his best hockey of the season and is incredibly focused? 2 GA in 4 games. less than a minute shy from having 4 straight shut outs? You're out of your mind....

This isn't the playoffs yet, I'd rather not burn him out just because he's on a roll now and he's in the zone partly because he got that long break during the Olympics and then sat another couple games besides.

If we win Thursday and Saturday, we clinch the division and if Buffalo loses even a point in their next two games we will have the two seed locked up with two wins so it becomes academic at that point.

#123 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Not much on the line? You're kidding right?

Lets see...

FIRST place in the Atlantic Division in a dogfight with Pittsburgh.

SECOND seed overall in the EC in a dogfight with Pittsburgh AND Buffalo.

I would say there is a LOT on the line right now for the Devils.

And what does all that mean starting Wednesday or Thursday? Nada. We're going to have home-ice no matter what in the first round, we're basically playing for who gets home ice in the second round basically should we get there, and home ice hasn't meant all that much our first two years at the Rock anyway (2-5 in the playoffs).

#124 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

Dear Jacques,

It took 79 games but I'm finally satisfied with the lineup and the lines. Let's not ruin a good thing.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#125 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

if we don't end up with anything better, always nice to add another division banner to your ceiling. at least you don't end the season empty handed.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#126 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

if we don't end up with anything better, always nice to add another division banner to your ceiling. at least you don't end the season empty handed.

no cup = empty handed

cghico.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#127 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

I didn't get to see this game. I'm assuming they played fairly well?

So the Devils should probably have 4 bagels in a row right now. That is scary fvcking good. I've been pretty critical of the team the last few months so I have no issue with giving credit when they deserve it. This is pretty incredible.

It's funny...they've been frustrating as hell at times, no question, but they've very quietly managed an 8-3-4 record in their last 15 games...a .667 point%. Considering how they were playing before that, I think to a fan we all would have signed up for that in a heartbeat.

What also funny is that I still think they're a 50-50 shot to get past the first round...but I think that percentage will hold no matter what round they're in. I don't think the Devils can be considered an overwhelming favorite or underdog in any potential series, but I think they can beat or lose to anyone.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#128 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

It's funny...they've been frustrating as hell at times, no question, but they've very quietly managed an 8-3-4 record in their last 15 games...a .667 point%. Considering how they were playing before that, I think to a fan we all would have signed up for that in a heartbeat.

What also funny is that I still think they're a 50-50 shot to get past the first round...but I think that percentage will hold no matter what round they're in. I don't think the Devils can be considered an overwhelming favorite or underdog in any potential series, but I think they can beat or lose to anyone.

POD

Exactly Sums up the entire Devils's situation at game 79.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#129 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Now we just need to eliminate the Caps to complete the SE trifecta! :P

Edited by NCDevsFan, 07 April 2010 - 08:15 AM.

It's the whiskey talking.

#130 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Division Banner; Marty's 600 win, home ice first round, & home ice second round !!!! So What it's about play in the playoffs. That's what matters especially the last 90 seconds of each game in the playoffs.

#131 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

I don't think we'd be considered an overwhelming favorite, sure. However, I think it all depends on the matchups.

I really really really don't want to play Philly. Like please, let's hope they play Buffalo...please.

I think they beat Montreal and Boston, but Philly......Y'I don't know.

Obviously it doesn't matter who ya play, but...

#132 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

OMG we suck. Lemaire stop messing with the lines, I cant believe our PP sucks and we cant score why cant we win every game ,Mottau sucks, our defense is suspect, blah blah blah..........

oh wait, I forgot this forum was in "we just won" mode. lol

anyways nice couple wins the last 2 games.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#133 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

My guess is that Danis goes in the Buffalo game as there's a very good chance the Devils can clinch the division on Saturday against the Isles. Pittsburgh looked listless tonight against Washington. Buffalo clinched their division tonight and I don't see them burning out Miller in that game either.

Depends on how Buffalo plays to that point. That game will probably be for the 2nd seed.
Posted Image

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

i don't think they have quietly managed this at all. people just panic around here when there's one bad game and think that it means the devils are playing all kinds of terrible hockey. they're not. out of their last 9, they've had 2 bad games, and got a point out of one.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#135 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

i don't think they have quietly managed this at all. people just panic around here when there's one bad game and think that it means the devils are playing all kinds of terrible hockey. they're not. out of their last 9, they've had 2 bad games, and got a point out of one.

No, they have, if you really think about it...8-3-4 would be considered a surge by some...the Devils haven't always been impressive over that time, but the record is what it is, which is pretty solid. But somehow (maybe because the some of the losses were so frustratingly memorable) no one seems to have taken notice of this, of the the fact that they've only lost three games in regulation in their last 15...if anything, people will still point to the poor overall record since the Devils started 32-11-1 and lump all the games played into one "this team has been sucking since January" category.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users