237 replies to this topic

#1 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

I just got traded to the capitals in NHL 10.

WHAT

THE

%#@&

I didn't know that could happen lmao

edit: Lots of cool info here, see the post from martyisthebest. Thats why i changed the name of the thread

us NHL 10 players can come here and discuss nhl 10 war stories, what you like/dislike about the game and what you would want to see changed for nhl 11.

or not whatever

Edited by skullsmasher, 07 September 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#2 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

That happened to my boyfriend in his Ba A Pro. He was doing fantastic on the Sens, they signed him in the off season and traded him mid-way though........to the Sabres. He chose to tank his season to weaken the Sabres and ended up in the minors. Then had to work his way back up to get an NHL contract again.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#3 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

This may not be the right thread to post this, but I just got NHL 10 for PS3 and the Be A GM mode is reaaaally complex. Now, I've always said that I would love a Franchise mode that let you do all the little minutia that a GM has to do but now I have it, I feel like I'm going to suck at it! Kind of like COD only shows me I would be a terrible solider in real life, NHL 10 is going to dash my dreams of being a GM.

Sorry, just needed to vent as I felt overwhelmed by it when I started it last night!
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#4 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

I played two full seasons in the AHL before I came up then got traded to Edmonton after 3 games.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#5 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

This may not be the right thread to post this, but I just got NHL 10 for PS3 and the Be A GM mode is reaaaally complex. Now, I've always said that I would love a Franchise mode that let you do all the little minutia that a GM has to do but now I have it, I feel like I'm going to suck at it! Kind of like COD only shows me I would be a terrible solider in real life, NHL 10 is going to dash my dreams of being a GM.

Sorry, just needed to vent as I felt overwhelmed by it when I started it last night!

I've held off on doing that kind of stuff because of school and everything, just been playing a season through (and I'm only in November in the season, shows how much I get to play anymore). Will probably start up a GM mode once I'm finished with class forever in a month (and by forever, I mean, until I decide I'm bored with not going to school).

I also love that you used the word minutia in this post. I've felt the need to use that word quite a bit lately, for no good reason whatsoever.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#6 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Be a GM mode is so much fun. I love all the little details, and the cap is such a challenge, yet so much fun. I won the Cup in my first season after making two trades: Pandolfo and Davison for JM Liles and a 2nd round pick at the start of the year, and Vasyunov (or however you spell it) and Colorado's 2nd round pick to the Sharks for Patrick Marleau (who they had on the trading block for some reason). I played the Sharks in the finals and Marleau was on FIRE. He had like 8 goals in 5 games and like 6 assists. Conn Smythe, too.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#7 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

Be a GM mode is so much fun. I love all the little details, and the cap is such a challenge, yet so much fun. I won the Cup in my first season after making two trades: Pandolfo and Davison for JM Liles and a 2nd round pick at the start of the year, and Vasyunov (or however you spell it) and Colorado's 2nd round pick to the Sharks for Patrick Marleau (who they had on the trading block for some reason). I played the Sharks in the finals and Marleau was on FIRE. He had like 8 goals in 5 games and like 6 assists. Conn Smythe, too.

They're not kidding when they talk about the ridiculous trades you can pull off in NHL 10...

#8 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

And the funny thing is, Colorado offered me the Pandolfo trade during the draft :lol:

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#9 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

Here are some tips if you need them for Be A GM:

In the offseason, always go to free agents and scroll over to the "potential" area and organize it that way. The more B+ to A- players you have in your system, the more they develop, and the more you can afford to dangle prospects for trade bait.

Give yourself your own cap 2.5m short of the actual cap ceiling. Teams will be willing to trade their big guys at the deadline, you better have the cap for it.

If someone offers you a prospect-for-prospect deal... take it. As long as you're not losing much, completing trades boosts your rep with that team and your overall rating.

If you simulate alot (like I do), look for underacheivers. Believe it or not, there are many 86 overall players that will consistantly score more goals than your high-paid center if he doesn't produce. NHL seems to just pick players and lable them as high-rating duds. I had a guy named Nikko Tordjman on my team; 96 overall as a 23 year old. For the next 3 years, he didn't break 30 goals nor 70 points, and I was paying him 9m/y. Trade players like that to high-reputation teams.

Don't trade your first round picks. Ever. NHL loves to make you feel like "yay I picked a gem"; so even when your 6th overall pick is a 77 defenseman for the first 3 years of his contract, keep him. Give it a few more years and he'll be a top-4 defender.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, make sure you're smart with your lines. I like to only skate out 11 forwards. My first line center is also my 4th line center. You have to keep another one dressed, but nowhere does it recquire him to play. Your center gets more points, and your 4th line can dominate some tight moments in games.

I'm pretty savage at Be a GM. I'm currently in the year 2029, my 5th year as the GM of the Coyotes after 15 years as GM of the Devils (Which included 9 cups). I got my Legendary GM card some 12 years ago, give or take. Game is awesome.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#10 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

Damn, dude. I'm the type that plays every game in a season, I just find it more enjoyable that way...I like having control over every part of my team, including the actual games (though I don't play AHL games until the playoffs). Its so addicting though, you're right. I doubt I'll ever get as far as you using my method.

Also, why aren't they the Jets? All the Winnipegians think they'll have a team by next year :P

Edited by RSC, 10 April 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#11 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

Dude, i feel your pain. I was drafted 1st overall to the Atlanta Thrashers. Tallied 110 points in about 52 games. got about 70 points in 16 playoff games en route to the Stanley Cup. Offseason comes, i get traded to San Jose for garbage. next season in San Jose, 200+ points in 82 games and another cup.

Edited by parisebrandon1994, 10 April 2010 - 11:54 PM.

25smul5.png

#12 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

You guys either have waaaaaay too much time on your hands, or have to stop playing on rookie mode. :P

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#13 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

You guys either have waaaaaay too much time on your hands, or have to stop playing on rookie mode. :P

Well my dynasty mode doesn't take long at all, I play about an hour every other day. I don't know how parisebrandon1994 doesn't get bored scoring that many goals. It's more fun online... I have about 175 games played, 100 goals and 120 assists... it's a hell of alot more fun because a goal actually has meaning, and isn't just "oh look there's my 19th goal of the game".

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#14 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:43 AM

Well my dynasty mode doesn't take long at all, I play about an hour every other day. I don't know how parisebrandon1994 doesn't get bored scoring that many goals. It's more fun online... I have about 175 games played, 100 goals and 120 assists... it's a hell of alot more fun because a goal actually has meaning, and isn't just "oh look there's my 19th goal of the game".

I stopped playing my be a pro a long time ago. I've been working on my online be a pro, and my player name is Ilya Kovalchuk. lol
25smul5.png

#15 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

By the way, a tip for GM mode, in your first year, try hard to get Kyle Turris from the Coyotes. He has the best potential in the game (A, A-, A) in about two seasons he becomes an 88-91. its ridiculously awesome.
25smul5.png

#16 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

Just wanted to thanks MB for all the great tips...they will definately help as I try to navigate my way through the trades, signings and tasks in Be A GM mode.

Oh, and the game is freaking brilliant...but I'm sure you all know that! :D
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#17 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:12 AM

You people are bad influences for your teammates, that's why you get traded. My Pro is in his 3rd season. Played the whole first year in Lowell. Something I dislike here is that, if you simulate about 6 games, even if you score 6 goals the "your coahch wants to speak with you" thing comes up, and it's always he's disappointed....what the fvck!

I'm now going with the GM thing. Just started the 5th season. Penguins won the Cup the first two, but I (the Devils) have won the last two, both New Jersey and Lowell.

My first trade was Brian Rolston for S. Pahlsson :lol: just to clear space.

Fvcking Clarkson got a 1.7 Mil. contract for 3 years and sucked so I just dumped him this offseason. Brodeur didn't want to re-sign, neither did Elias (a$$holes :D). Still got Parise, Zajac, and Kovalchuk, picked up Janssen as F.A 2 years ago....just what the team needed to win the Cup haha.

There are awful flaws though. First, too many big time trades happen all over the place. Second, Patrick Kane, Mikko Koivu, Claude Giroux, and people like that have been free agents all the time after the first or second season...like really?? Are all GMs cab drivers?

It's still entertaining

believe-3devils.jpg

#18 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:30 AM

There are awful flaws though. First, too many big time trades happen all over the place. Second, Patrick Kane, Mikko Koivu, Claude Giroux, and people like that have been free agents all the time after the first or second season...like really?? Are all GMs cab drivers?

I believe someone said the CPU GMs handle cap space horribly so guys who will only play for big bucks often sit out there because no team's can afford to add their contract, within their AI.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#19 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

I believe someone said the CPU GMs handle cap space horribly so guys who will only play for big bucks often sit out there because no team's can afford to add their contract, within their AI.

Yeah it's all big trades but no big F.A signings, that's a huge flaw they hopefully fix for '11

believe-3devils.jpg

#20 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

For some reason, I can NEVER beat the Blackhawks in online mode. Anytime somebody picks them I know I'm doomed. Anybody else have a team that they just can't seem to beat? I don't think I've ever lost to the capitals to be honest. Easiest team to beat for me.

BEST GAME EVER MADE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users