20 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

I would like to announce my lobbying campaign to add an annoying play-by-play announcer retirement mandate in the health bill. From his way over the top canned calls to his annoying nicknames, his schtick is gut curdling even for Yankee fans. Now apparently, he's breaking out into song every time Curtis Granderson hits a homerum.

Coming from a Yankee and Devils fan, I'd rather listen to Sam Rosen say "It's a powerplay goal" on a continuous loop for a 3 hour plane flight.

Regardless of political party, team allegiance, favorite color, please give your support this noble cause.

Thank you.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#2 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

While I think his voice is annoying, and his "AND IT'S HIT HARD. OOOH BABY IS THAT FAR. ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE WALL IT'S...caught by jeter on the edge of the infield" moments... you gotta admit the Sterling shake is legendary.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#3 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,499 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

lol, as a Met fan from afar I find Sterling kinda funny (in small doses)...a cross between Chico with the airhead moments and Rick Jeanerett with the planned over-the-top calls.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

I'm all for getting him off the air...and Suzyn while we're at it.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:00 PM

To be fair, I'm not a huge Yankees fan, by any stretch, but I pretty much agree with everything Daniel said. The nicknames when players hit homeruns are the absolute worst. To me, the most maddening thing about Sterling is he actuallt calls a great game when he just does the call...no schtick, no "Alexander The Great conquers again" when A-Rod goes yard...just do the call, Sterling!

And, no, the Yankees Win warrble was amazing when they won the World Series in '96 because it was honest, genuine emotion. It's even acceptable now in the playoffs or if the game was a close one. But when the Yankees win 10 to 2 against Minnesota in May, do you really need, "Theeeeee Yankees WIINNN!"?

Daniel, you have my support for this fine cause of yours.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#6 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

his "AND IT'S HIT HARD. OOOH BABY IS THAT FAR. ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE WALL IT'S...caught by jeter on the edge of the infield" moments

Ah, John Sterling. Possibly the person who polarizes Yankees fans more than anyone else associated with the organization.

I think the guy has a great voice and calls the game with a great pace, which is really important with baseball (see: Kalas, Harry). But he sucks at painting a picture with words. What M3 mentioned above is, to me, the most infuriating thing about him. I'll be driving and listening to the game and he'll let out one of these cocktease home run calls: "IT IS HIGH, IT IS FAR, IIIIIIIIT IIIIIIIIIIIS ...", getting me all riled up behind the wheel, before finishing it with "... caught 20 feet shy of the track." Let's just say John Sterling is the reason why the center console in my car is broken.

But I like his cheesy home run calls. They're fun. When Matsui left, one of the first thoughts to run through my head was, "Guess I'll never hear another 'Upper-Decki from Hideki' call again." Not gonna lie, it was a bummer.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#7 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

If you hate sam and micheletti -- theres no way you can like sterling, the guy is a CLOWN all he needs is a red rubber nose... its time to retire
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#8 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Am I the only one that thinks people are being WAAAYYYY too harsh on Sterling as a whole?

Yes, he struggles sometimes with plays, and I wish he'd be a little more accurate. But his act, his sayings, and his theatrics, to me, is actually quite fun. "An A-Bomb! From A-Rod! The Yankees Win!"

It's a hell of a lot better than other baseball announcers.

Now, Susyn, on the other hand, I want to run over with lawnmowers. And not just these little pansy hand-push lawnmowers, I'm talkin' big-ass John Deeres.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#9 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

I get a kick out of when he anticipates things the wrong way.
"And the 2-1 to Cano.. off the plate, ball th--- no it caught the edge strike 2"

and the amount of dead air in his broadcasts is amazing.

Also, the fact that some broad with a thick boston accent does the radio color commentary for the most storied franchise in all of sports history is just downright embarrassing.

"Oh my goodness gracious!"

#10 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Huge Yankees fan, not so much a Sterling fan, but I do have to admit having Yankees win, Thhhhhhhhhhhhe Yankees win as a ringtone.

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

they always tease him on the Boomer & Carton show on 660 WFAN

#12 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

I love Sterling. It is a game and is supposed to be entertaining. Sterling never forgets that. If all you wanted was dry news report style broadcasting you could get a computer to do it. Waldman's voice is grating but I can't get help but smile every time I hear Sterling's voice. Does he have a big ego and a little full of himself? Sure. But so what?

In 2003 I was down in Texas for Yankees/Rangers and had seats right below the broadcast booths. It was way before the game started and he was up there reading something. This was after Game 2 vs Tampa that year and I yelled up to him "Hey John Sterling, how did the Devils do?" He turns around for a few seconds and comes back with "Hockey game over, Devils win theeeeeeeeeee Devils WIN!". I will never forget that.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#13 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

In 2003 I was down in Texas for Yankees/Rangers and had seats right below the broadcast booths. It was way before the game started and he was up there reading something. This was after Game 2 vs Tampa that year and I yelled up to him "Hey John Sterling, how did the Devils do?" He turns around for a few seconds and comes back with "Hockey game over, Devils win theeeeeeeeeee Devils WIN!". I will never forget that.

That is seriously awesome.
Posted Image

#14 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

I love Sterling. It is a game and is supposed to be entertaining. Sterling never forgets that. If all you wanted was dry news report style broadcasting you could get a computer to do it. Waldman's voice is grating but I can't get help but smile every time I hear Sterling's voice. Does he have a big ego and a little full of himself? Sure. But so what?

haha :evil:

#15 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

I'm a Mets fan...but when I was younger (probably 10-12) I remember finding Sterling's calls pretty funny. Now that 10 years of growing up have occurred, I find his calls to be just annoying and dumb.
Posted Image Posted Image

#16 matcat1116

matcat1116

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

Absolutely hysterical.

Edited by matcat1116, 27 July 2010 - 10:01 AM.

Posted Image

#17 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

they always tease him on the Boomer & Carton show on 660 WFAN

I get so pissed off about how fvckin pro mets that god damn station is. I don't listen to it anymore except for the Devils radio feeds. Its just non stop lament over the gruesome state of affairs in met land. I got fvcking tired of it.

#18 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

I get so pissed off about how fvckin pro mets that god damn station is. I don't listen to it anymore except for the Devils radio feeds. Its just non stop lament over the gruesome state of affairs in met land. I got fvcking tired of it.

I know, right? Mike Francesa is such a Mets' homer!

Edited by nmigliore, 28 July 2010 - 03:08 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#19 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

I know, right? Mike Francesa is such a Mets' homer!

Boomer & Carton and Benigno & Roberts vs. Francesa ... four Mets fans to one.

And I have no idea what Steve Somers is. I can't stand that guy's voice for more than half a second before I want to punch a baby. I hear that "BMW of Baaaaaaaaaaaayside" commercial in my nightmares.
Posted Image

#20 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Boomer & Carton and Benigno & Roberts vs. Francesa ... four Mets fans to one.

And I have no idea what Steve Somers is. I can't stand that guy's voice for more than half a second before I want to punch a baby. I hear that "BMW of Baaaaaaaaaaaayside" commercial in my nightmares.

Those 4 guys are such clowns, especially Carton and Joe, that they shouldn't even count. :lol:

I've only heard Somers on at night, so I never get to hear him often, but he is a Mets fan IIRC.

Edited by nmigliore, 28 July 2010 - 03:27 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users