• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:17 AM

Friesen, White stick with Devils
http://www.bergenrec...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

By TOM GULITTI
STAFF WRITER

Devils' left wing Jeff Friesen and defenseman Colin White passed on their opportunities to file for arbitration Tuesday, agreeing to new contracts with the team.

Friesen, who will turn 27 next month, accepted the Devils' one-year, $3 million qualifying offer. White, 25, agreed to a multiyear deal. Terms were not immediately available, but it is believed to be an upgrade from the one-year, $825,000 qualifying offer he received June 30.

Both players had until midnight Tuesday to file for arbitration.

Friesen finished second on the Devils during the regular season with 23 goals. He became a hero by scoring 10 playoff goals, including four game-winners, during the team's run to the Stanley Cup. His biggest goal was the game-winner in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals in Ottawa.

White also had a solid year, solidifying his position as one of the team's top four defensemen. He had five goals, eight assists, and a plus-19 rating in 72 regular-season games. He played in all 24 of the Devils' postseason contests, registering five assists and a plus-3 rating.

DEVILS BRIEFS: The Devils have also signed prospects Matt DeMarchi, a defenseman, and forwards Ahren Nittel, Thomas Pihlman, Ilkka Pikkarainen, and Aleksander Suglobov to entry-level contracts. ... The team will host a cyberchat with retired defenseman Ken Daneyko at 11 a.m. today on newjerseydevils.com.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 Devil Dog

Devil Dog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:27 AM

Very good news.
George Martin and Son should be shot for what they did to The Beatles.

The Eagle picks my eye, the worm he licks my bones.
Feel so suicidal, just like Dylan's Mr. Jones.

Is this heaven? No its Iowa.

#3 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:55 AM

Good news for sure. Didn't expect Friesen to go for arbitration, but I had no clue what White would do. How many years do you think he's inked for?

#4 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:59 AM

Why is it some dumbass thing like Pens sign 6th rounder makes international headlines and NO WHERE does it say Devils re-sign Friesen and White? This should be news! I mean Red Wings Prospect Wipes Squirt Off Left Buttcheek makes headlines sooner! :angry:

I'm here for the party

#5 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:13 AM

lol, Pk you are a riot. This is great news. It was important to get this guys signed. We need to keep these pieces together.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#6 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:40 AM

Why is it some dumbass thing like Pens sign 6th rounder makes international headlines and NO WHERE does it say Devils re-sign Friesen and White? This should be news! I mean Red Wings Prospect Wipes Squirt Off Left Buttcheek makes headlines sooner! :angry:

Didn't you hear? Prospect squirts are the latest fad! :D
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#7 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 12:19 PM

Great news that these guys will be here - and happy - for a couple of more years.
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#8 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:17 PM

Now Little G needs to be signed!!
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#9 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 09:02 PM

I hope Friesen has another good year as well as Langenbrunner (and all the Devs!)

Btw, happy birthday Claude!! Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#10 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:12 PM

Is DeMArchi a possible 6th dman for the DEVS or do we expect him to play w/ the rats???
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#11 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:59 PM

Most likely the Rats.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#12 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:35 PM

Only a one-year deal for Friesen? Hmm, an important year for him. If he has a solid year, I could easily see the Devils re-signing him. If not, I could see Lou wishing him well and letting some of the young guns on the rise take up after the CBA.... Personally, I'd rather have Friesen around for a few years, provided he doesn't become his Anaheim self.

DeMarchi should be a rat, maybe will see one or two NHL games this year. I expect Hale and Giroux to be the rookies that see a lot of time, but I really think Lou will land someone else to balance it all out.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#13 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:40 PM

El Chico was a little surprised no Devil filed for arbitration but after all, they find themselves in a good situation on a team that just won the Cup and we all know you don't want to be on Lou's bad side. El Chico wishes Freeze could have gotten more than a one year deal but at least White is locked up long term and he can further improve and develop.
Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

#14 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 08:32 AM

When a RFA like White gets a "multi-year" deal its normally 2, 3 tops.

He made 825K last year, I imagine he got 2 for 3, or 3 for 4.5.

Poti, two years ago made 925K, went to arbitration last year and got 1.8, so no way could White come in too far below that number.

#15 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 08:53 AM

I don't know the total contract value, but the first year is supposedly $2,250,000.

#16 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 09:09 AM

Really? Then I guess that 1.5 avg number is way off.

Maybe he got 1.75 per.

WOW, that's a nice contract for Colin.

#17 GetReal

GetReal

All-Star

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 09:09 AM

Thank you PK, that was my point the other day about press coverage.

#18 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 09:16 AM

Really? Then I guess that 1.5 avg number is way off.

Maybe he got 1.75 per.

WOW, that's a nice contract for Colin.

How do you figure an average of 1.75 if he's making 2.25 the first year of a possible 3 year? Makes even less sense if it's 2 years. I might be misunderstanding you too... :D

#19 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 09:29 AM

If he is getting 2.25 in year 1, I am assuming the deal is front-loaded.

Makes sense for several reasons.

1) If 2004-2005 doesn't get played, or even a portion there-of, players don't get paid, so its natural for players to insist on front-loaded deals.

2) If 2004-2005 does get played depending on how contracts will be counted it makes sense for the team to front-load. Say I sign you to a 2 year 6 million deal, 4 in yr 1, 2 in year 2. The most that yr 2 can be counted at is 3 mil (the avg), however there is a chance that year might only count for cap or tax purposes as 2 million.

3) I do not believe that Colin White got a deal for 2.25 annually, perhaps but Lou doesn't normally go that high with a no leverage RFA. Clearly with that first year number its probably higher than 1.5 per, so 1.75 was the next guess.

Also, although things might change, for FA's like White they only need to be qualified at 110% of the avg sal if they are under the avg. If White signed for 2.25 then 750K for two years, in 2005-2006 the Devils could in theory qualify him at 825. No agent would take that kind of gamble. Like I said things will change, but the risk of an 825K qualifier with no leverage is not smart business.

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 10:28 AM

If the first year is 2,25, I don't think the Devils can pay him below that in subsequent years.. unless it's paid as a bonus of some kind. I would think the CBA would prevent such frontloading of contracts.

If Lou did frontload it, it's a strange move and suggests to me that A: Nieuwendyk will not be back and B: Lou has a plan for dealing with this deferred money that Stevens and Brodeur will be receiving.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users