545 replies to this topic

#441 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

i don't want to seem reactionary - and this may be, but i think the best forward corps he can put out looks like this:

parise-elias-zubrus
kovalchuk-zajac-langenbrunner
rolston-mccammond-clarkson
zharkov-neidermayer-pelley

regarding that 4th line, i'd really rather see neidermayer get scratched and keep corrente who amazingly has been effective when on the ice. i do agree that zharkov's speed and tenacity could be of good use in this series - they could send him into forecheck and he's got the speed to recover.

Yeah, I'd agree with those lines. While I feel like Zharkov might get killed physically, at least he can be trusted to play some minutes and control the puck reasonably well. Considering PL3 plays about 10 seconds a night, I don't think his "physical presence" is necessary.

#442 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

Even if they somehow pull out this series, there are MAJOR problems with this team. Imagine if they win and wind up playing a REAL goalie like Ryan Miller. I'm going to try and enjoy the playoffs, but my expectations are very low right now. This team is not built for a long playoff run.

#443 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

No doubt. Some major changes have to be made to this team because the inability to get up for a playoff game is just disgusting. The fact that the majority of this team makes awful hockey decisions and/or complains like adolescent girls doesn't help matters either.

it's too bad we're stuck with these players for the foreseeable future though. Lou isn't going to slash and burn this team. He'll sign one, maybe two, journeymen players to the roster and hope for better luck next season. And once again Marty will be asked to stand on his head for 70+ games and get us into the playoffs. It's like a broken record... it's been the M.O. of this team for the past few years and it's not going to change.

#444 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

i don't want to seem reactionary - and this may be, but i think the best forward corps he can put out looks like this:

parise-elias-zubrus
kovalchuk-zajac-langenbrunner
rolston-mccammond-clarkson
zharkov-neidermayer-pelley

regarding that 4th line, i'd really rather see neidermayer get scratched and keep corrente who amazingly has been effective when on the ice. i do agree that zharkov's speed and tenacity could be of good use in this series - they could send him into forecheck and he's got the speed to recover.

I would pay good money to see Niedermayer scratched but it's just not going to happen so the lines you have are probably our safest bet. The lack of depth in the lineup tonight just killed the team this game and the 4th line you have there is more then serviceable even with that anchor Niedermayer attached to it. Man has he looked slow and old out there. Langs, whether he is hurt or not, is really making things difficult as well.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#445 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

Patrik Elias said. "That excitement, that drive we had in the last game, maybe we didn't have it tonight. We've got to have it every game. I felt like we didn't push ourselves enough."

These quotes say it all... when a player admits maybe they didnt try hard enough, it's time to switch things up. If you can't get up for a playoff game, then you need to have your head examined. And that goes for alot of the players on this team (not named Brodeur and Parise).

Since '07, they've been a pouty, confused bunch in the postseason. No matter who coaches this team, it's a revolving door of disappointment once they get into the playoffs.

#446 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:36 PM

I think the Zharkov needs to be in the lineup come Tuesday. I think he can be an asset out there, and maybe play more than 5 seconds that Leblond did tonight.

Allegedly he's hurt and the Devils right now really have no need to make this a fake injury like they did with Leblond earlier this year because of the cap.

#447 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

Allegedly he's hurt and the Devils right now really have no need to make this a fake injury like they did with Leblond earlier this year because of the cap.

If this is true then I say go with Pelley and Corrente as the wingers for Nieds. I like the energy both of them bring over PL3's size advantage.

#448 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

fvcking bullsh!t. i fvcking hate the flyers so god damn much.

Amen sistah! Much more hate for the Female kangaroos than the Rags!!! Can't friggin STAND them!!!

this series is fvcking over.

Now can we say this series is over?

season over.

:koolaid:Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

hopefully you learned a lesson tonight
never bet on the devils in ot

I'm still putting my money where my mouth is. GO DEVILS!!!! Get 'em Tuesday boys!!!!

is there anywhere you can watch online?

p2p4u.net works for me most of the time :thumbsup:

any team in the west and/or washington would fvcking eat us alive..we are fvcking brutal to watch...dull..boring..stale..AWFUL. scary even. fvcking pathetic. laughing stock of the NHL. nobody respects the Devils..no fvcking need to. choke artist fvcking losers.

No actually, the Failures are just the ONE team this Devils squad is having trouble with this year. IF we can get past this test, the rest of the road should be MUCH LESS painful and we shall be watching the Cup paraded in Newark!!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

And I think JL expected a few fights tonight, but that didn't happen amazingly enough. Rearm and PLEASE come out SHOOTING in game 4!!! WE SHALL PREVAIL!!!!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#449 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

Patrik Elias said. "That excitement, that drive we had in the last game, maybe we didn't have it tonight. We've got to have it every game. I felt like we didn't push ourselves enough."

These quotes say it all... when a player admits maybe they didnt try hard enough, it's time to switch things up. If you can't get up for a playoff game, then you need to have your head examined. And that goes for alot of the players on this team (not named Brodeur and Parise).

Since '07, they've been a pouty, confused bunch in the postseason. No matter who coaches this team, it's a revolving door of disappointment once they get into the playoffs.

As much as I feel Lemaire played a role in tonight's outcome, ultimately it comes down to the players to go out there and execute. I'd like to say that the team was gassed tonight (from rolling 5 D and 3 lines) but it seemed to be more then that. Like you said, this is the playoffs. Where the hell was the intensity? Philly smelled blood in the third and just crushed it. Why do the Devils struggle with this so much?

I know that there are holes on this team. They're obvious. But there are also a healthy amount of quality players and plenty of skill to go around. It just seems that there are too many instances when they look like they don't have that drive. I mean this team was literally flat in the 3rd and OT. They were giving up one great chance after another and they could do nothing to stop it. It was painful to watch.

Game 4 is the season obviously. It won't be enough just to win though. I really think they need to play a dominating and suffocating game. These just good enough and poor efforts can not go on any longer. I know Philly is trying to win as well but if the Devils have any intentions of moving on they'll need full contributions from everyone and they'll have to match Philly's intensity every step of the way. There is no other way. I mean aren't they tired of getting pounced early every spring? I know I am. Enough is enough. They were showing all the signs of this the 2nd half of the season. Just gotta hope they find a way to overcome it and deliver.

Edited by Sickman, 18 April 2010 - 11:52 PM.

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#450 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

I mean aren't they tired of getting pounced early every spring? I know I am. Enough is enough.

You're a spoiled fan. Don't you know the Florida Panthers never even make it? ;)

Where's LA Devil these days, by the way?

#451 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

You're a spoiled fan. Don't you know the Florida Panthers never even make it? ;)

All joking aside I'm not one of those people who feel they need to win the Cup to be successful. If they find a way to win a couple of rounds and make thinks interesting, I'll consider that a success. The younger core of this team needs to take that step. They need to get a taste of winning in the post season and they need to get that thirst to win. I'm forever grateful for all the "overall" success this team has had but they're better then one and done every year. I just hope they can prove it. I think they can but I seem to think that every year lol.

#452 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

I'm just happy for that run from 2000-2003, because if this is the last best chance, youch. they really need to be reamed for this. I wish they would get Stevens more involved, I don't know if his switch turned off when he retired, but if it didn't, he would be absolutely seething after a game like this. then again, if this is the best we can do, maybe he'll leave and that that Blue Jackets job the Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)-esque rumor has him on the short list for.

#453 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,279 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

I'm just happy for that run from 2000-2003, because if this is the last best chance, youch. they really need to be reamed for this. I wish they would get Stevens more involved, I don't know if his switch turned off when he retired, but if it didn't, he would be absolutely seething after a game like this. then again, if this is the best we can do, maybe he'll leave and that that Blue Jackets job the Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)-esque rumor has him on the short list for.

Forget Stevens. I'd actually be embarrassed for everyone in that room if they needed to bring in Stevens to pump them up. You'd think there is enough leadership in that room and enough guys that have that compete factor...that they would be fine. And if there isn't, maybe this team needs a major shakeup somehow just like the Sharks so badly need one.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#454 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:20 AM

Forget Stevens. I'd actually be embarrassed for everyone in that room if they needed to bring in Stevens to pump them up. You'd think there is enough leadership in that room and enough guys that have that compete factor...that they would be fine. And if there isn't, maybe this team needs a major shakeup somehow just like the Sharks so badly need one.

I just think there's no one in there to tell them what's acceptable and what isn't. I guess Sutter did to a degree (at least they would have gotten some much needed cardio after this game), but I don't think very many guys respected him, he's just a "junior" guy. I know for a fact some didn't. then again, they didn't respect Julien either, and neither group, this one, or the good one back in the day, respected Larry Robinson, Ftorek was pretty much unrespectable :lol:, Kevin Constantine was coach for 20 minutes... really, there's only one guy they've had that was able to command that respect, because if you didn't give it, he'd take it.

not so coincidently, that's the year they got the most out of the least.

#455 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

To do any kind of shakeup, i think you need to go into the core that's been here a long time....Elias, Langenbrunner, White, Brodeur and Pandolfo and start there. Those guys are the group that are the main leaders with Cups won as Devils. You can throw Parise in there, but i'm not worried about him. He's shown me he'll wear the C very, very soon.

Are those guys hungry? Do they lead by example? Are they going to challenge the guys next to them? Do they preach accountability? Those are the questions that need to be asked.

If you want change, a 5 game loss with a few more like this i think would do the trick finally.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#456 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

I just think there's no one in there to tell them what's acceptable and what isn't. I guess Sutter did to a degree (at least they would have gotten some much needed cardio after this game), but I don't think very many guys respected him, he's just a "junior" guy. I know for a fact some didn't. then again, they didn't respect Julien either, and neither group, this one, or the good one back in the day, respected Larry Robinson, Ftorek was pretty much unrespectable :lol:, Kevin Constantine was coach for 20 minutes... really, there's only one guy they've had that was able to command that respect, because if you didn't give it, he'd take it.

not so coincidently, that's the year they got the most out of the least.

They didn't respect Robinson as a coach because, in the end, he was too much of a player's coach. They simply took advantage of that. Larry was too nice, too trusting of the player's to handle themselves. However, the players loved him as a person and respected his great career as a player.

Burns was one of a kind. I don't think a healthy Burns would still be here or have lasted by the time of Sutter's arrival as Burns has about a 3 1/2 season shelf life, but he could take teams and turn them around and squeeze them like few others.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#457 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

I still don't see us losing this series, and dekes patented gut feeling has rarely failed him the last 28 years.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#458 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:36 AM

Still think we take this in seven games.

What a poor effort though. Marty stood on his head and got nothing to show for it.

I think the Devils Take the next two.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#459 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:26 AM

I still don't see us losing this series, and dekes patented gut feeling has rarely failed him the last 28 years.

I see us winning the cup. However, the skullsmasher paten pending gut feeling is 2.3 percent accurate

#460 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:33 AM

Where has our Capitan been? Lead us to victory our fearless leader...
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users