545 replies to this topic

#461 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

I just think there's no one in there to tell them what's acceptable and what isn't. I guess Sutter did to a degree (at least they would have gotten some much needed cardio after this game), but I don't think very many guys respected him, he's just a "junior" guy. I know for a fact some didn't. then again, they didn't respect Julien either, and neither group, this one, or the good one back in the day, respected Larry Robinson, Ftorek was pretty much unrespectable :lol:, Kevin Constantine was coach for 20 minutes... really, there's only one guy they've had that was able to command that respect, because if you didn't give it, he'd take it.

not so coincidently, that's the year they got the most out of the least.

I think they respected Lemaire the first time around too, at least until they won a title and then they didn't care for how distant or strict he was after that. I didn't think he changed that much in Minnesota but personality-wise he's done a total 180. At least the old Lemaire would have laid down the law long before this instead of just randomly scratching Rolston and Langenbrunner while hiding it in public, claiming they were getting a rest.

#462 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

meh. Game 4 decides this series. We'll find out tomorrow night.

#463 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

I think this respect talk is nonsense. This is a respectful team --- if you're going to tell me the yankers in Philthy respect Laviolette... :huh: :mellow: :urg: :mellow:

well then I don't know what to say -- there is nothing to discuss because that goes beyond MY over-thought out deranged assumptions - and that's no easy task.

It's purely a lack of team focus - each man must do his job to be in the game and completely focused.

If as few as four guys are off even by a slim margin then that's it -- one guy on a line not present playing with a weak minded guy --- forget it then even the smart ones are pulled out of it -- Scott Stevens was so single minded he pulled it back for the others. I think the fact he was defence helped -- I dont see how Zach can be that kind of guy as a winger -- and Zach is as complete as they come :noclue:

I'm here for the party

#464 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

Game 4 only decides the series if we lose. If we win we start a best of 3 with 1 more home game. If we win game 4 we're still in it and probably pull it off in 7, but it's not a guaranteed win. If we lose, it's basically over.

#465 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

i thought zubrus played well.

Yes. Zubrus did show up. The Flyers had more than half their team show up and the Devils barely had 3 show up. Not going to work in the playoffs or any game.
Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

#466 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

yeah, I corrected what I meant when I posted to SD. he is ridiculously raw and does things that defy logic. you'd think at some point someone would tell him to stop, and the correct thing to do. but it hasn't happened. clearly didn't happen in ATL and it isn't happening here. but remember, in ATL he was playing defenseman minutes. here, except when he has 94 PP's to point, like tonight, he's been playing more along the lines of a second line role with some double shifts. more time = more production. I know Triumph hates this concept, but prorate Elias or Mogs from '01 out with defenseman like ice time, and yeah...

yeah, great idea, why don't we just pro-rate from a team that shot like 12% at even strength in an expansion year and assume that will hold for all time.

Edited by Triumph, 19 April 2010 - 07:37 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#467 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

i don't want to seem reactionary - and this may be, but i think the best forward corps he can put out looks like this:

parise-elias-zubrus
kovalchuk-zajac-langenbrunner
rolston-mccammond-clarkson
zharkov-neidermayer-pelley

regarding that 4th line, i'd really rather see neidermayer get scratched and keep corrente who amazingly has been effective when on the ice. i do agree that zharkov's speed and tenacity could be of good use in this series - they could send him into forecheck and he's got the speed to recover.

For all you guys who want to put line combos together like you are some sort of coach...here are a few things: 1. Save your energy, you aren't a coach, so don't try to be and 2. Save your energy, whatever you want Lemaire to do, he is going to do the exact opposite and play forward line roulette and keep changing and keep changing...good bad or indifferent, this is how Lemaire is doing things and he expects us to win this way. Us telling him who to put together on an internet forum is clearly a waste of time and energy. Lemaire will continue to shuffle us out of the playoffs.
DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#468 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

YOU gave Brodeur credit?!?! The world is coming to an end!

I did and I often do.

#469 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

For all you guys who want to put line combos together like you are some sort of coach...here are a few things: 1. Save your energy, you aren't a coach, so don't try to be and 2. Save your energy, whatever you want Lemaire to do, he is going to do the exact opposite and play forward line roulette and keep changing and keep changing...good bad or indifferent, this is how Lemaire is doing things and he expects us to win this way. Us telling him who to put together on an internet forum is clearly a waste of time and energy. Lemaire will continue to shuffle us out of the playoffs.

:blahblah:
Pretty sure its a discussion board, If he wants to discuss his idea for line combos he can. Your post is a waste and should be kept to yourself. The best way to say something like that is to just not post at all rather than leaving a comment that makes you look like an ass.

815631765.gif

#470 The Facepainter

The Facepainter

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

Yes. Zubrus did show up. The Flyers had more than half their team show up and the Devils barely had 3 show up. Not going to work in the playoffs or any game.

I loved when Zubrus absolutely crushed Pronger. I don't remember when it happened, but I know it wasn't in the 3rd, when the Devils did nothing.

#471 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Two things...

A) I don't know why this team has such a hard time scoring goals. This goes back to the series aganist Ottawa and Damian Rhodes. We made him look like the second coming of Ken Dryden and got bounced early.

B)The other enigma with this team is the lack of fire in the playoffs. After a playoff loss, you see the same 'ho hum' responses from Langenbrunner, Elias, and others. It's disturbing to watch.

I dont know which is worse... winning the Atlantic Division every year and getting bounced in the first round, or not making the playoffs but stocking up on high draft picks (i.e. Islanders) and building for the future. I love seeing this team get into the playoffs and root for them come hell or highwater, but when you see the lack of passion and effort in the playofss it makes you wonder how much longer they can keep this going.

#472 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

Lemaire will continue to shuffle us out of the playoffs.

^^^

believe-3devils.jpg

#473 Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

^^^

More shots ! WTF. :whistling:
#474 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,010 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

Here is my question. Why is Zach Parise playing under 20 minutes after 60 minutes? I made this point earlier in the year when Niedermayer was getting more minutes than Parise. In the playoffs, your best players have to be your best players and the Devils need to find more ice-time for Parise and to a lesser extent, Zubrus and Elias.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#475 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

Here is my question. Why is Zach Parise playing under 20 minutes after 60 minutes? I made this point earlier in the year when Niedermayer was getting more minutes than Parise. In the playoffs, your best players have to be your best players and the Devils need to find more ice-time for Parise and to a lesser extent, Zubrus and Elias.

the devils got caught in their end so many times that ice times went up for all the stragglers. parise-elias-zubrus would have a decent shift and get pulled off the ice at a normal time.

#476 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

he did get 20 minutes and played the 3rd most total forward time to kovalchuk and zajac and was equal to elias. he didn't get as much 5 on 5 time because he played so much special teams time - i mean he was second to zajac in short handed time.

essentially, because so much of the game was played on special teams, the 3rd and 4th line saw a TON of even strength play comparitively speaking to a regular game. this may actually have something to do with why they were so bad 5 on 5.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#477 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

he did get 20 minutes and played the 3rd most total forward time to kovalchuk and zajac and was equal to elias. he didn't get as much 5 on 5 time because he played so much special teams time - i mean he was second to zajac in short handed time.

essentially, because so much of the game was played on special teams, the 3rd and 4th line saw a TON of even strength play comparitively speaking to a regular game. this may actually have something to do with why they were so bad 5 on 5.

yeah that's a great point, something i didn't consider. i figured penalty filled games would benefit new jersey, but they don't at all - at best its a wash. the flyers can get their best ES line up against our worst after a PP, it's just not pretty at all.

#478 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:10 AM

yeah that's a great point, something i didn't consider. i figured penalty filled games would benefit new jersey, but they don't at all - at best its a wash. the flyers can get their best ES line up against our worst after a PP, it's just not pretty at all.

this is why kovalchuk playing the entire PP should be scrapped. he has not greatly improved it and the team's eagerness to defer to him has made it essentially a one trick pony.

if they when to:

clarkson-zajac-parise-elias-martin

langenbrunner-zubrus-kovalchuk-rolston-greene

they would be able to put out one of the top two lines AGAIN after the PP if the play dictated it. following a good kill, the flyers have natural momentum. couple that with getting one of their top lines against what is CLEARLY a deficient 3rd or 4th line for NJ and you get what we've seen - lack of sustained pressure.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#479 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

I do agree with Kovalchuk not playing all the time in the PP, however, he has gotten assists this past two games and it's only a problem of his when he shoots wide, nothing he can do about others hitting the boards and glass

believe-3devils.jpg

#480 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

34 shots to 19 will not win you playoff games..

Too many penalties in these playoffs. Not just our games but in every game. Bettman has ruined playoff hockey with all these penalties and power plays! oh well!

just need to limit our turnovers, mistakes, and get shots TO THE NET.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users