545 replies to this topic

#481 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

it's too bad we're stuck with these players for the foreseeable future though. Lou isn't going to slash and burn this team. He'll sign one, maybe two, journeymen players to the roster and hope for better luck next season. And once again Marty will be asked to stand on his head for 70+ games and get us into the playoffs. It's like a broken record... it's been the M.O. of this team for the past few years and it's not going to change.

That's what really worries me. This team either needs a bunch of new players or to start playing passionate, inspired hockey, and it's difficult to bet on either of these happening.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#482 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

That's what really worries me. This team either needs a bunch of new players or to start playing passionate, inspired hockey, and it's difficult to bet on either of these happening.

the devils have 10 players signed for 2011-12 and 3 for 2012-13, so it is going to be a new bunch of players, one way or another.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#483 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

I have no idea how anyone can say this team isn't passionate either.

They have respect and passion --- just poor focus, IMO (I dont know if anyone caught that's what I'm thinking yet).

I'm here for the party

#484 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

34 shots to 19 will not win you playoff games..

Ask Colorado

believe-3devils.jpg

#485 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

I have no idea how anyone can say this team isn't passionate either.

They have respect and passion --- just poor focus, IMO (I dont know if anyone caught that's what I'm thinking yet).

i'm not sure how anyone can say it after game 2, where the devils played their most passionate game of hockey since who knows when.

edit: in before 70 people tell me how much last night's game sucked

Edited by Triumph, 19 April 2010 - 10:45 AM.

#486 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

i'm not sure how anyone can say it after game 2, where the devils played their most passionate game of hockey since who knows when.

edit: in before 70 people tell me how much last night's game sucked

I thought this was the playoffs and you had to play like that every game....not every other game

believe-3devils.jpg

#487 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

I thought this was the playoffs and you had to play like that every game....not every other game

you do see where i say 'in before 70 people tell me how much last night's game sucked' to try to head off this obvious retort - the team is unquestionably capable of passion, which is my point.

Edited by Triumph, 19 April 2010 - 10:56 AM.

#488 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

I'm not so sure they know they played like crap, like you say. Did you watch Zajac's interview after the 3rd? He said their play dropped off a "little", but they just need to up it a little bit. He didn't seem concerned at all, and neither did the rest of the team, it seemed. JL was probably singing Kumbaya from behind the bench throughout the 3rd and OT.

Like I said after game 1. The team is feeding off the coach like it or not. Parise thought they played well in Game 1, and they still think they are playing well enough to win, when in all honesty it could be 3 - 0 right now instead of 2 - 1. Even the game 2 that they won could have gone either way as well. Last night was a perfect example. The third period, they were penned in their own end for so long it seemed like they were on the PK most of it.

This team has not brought nearly the intensity it needs to win this series to this point. I hope they have anothewr gear because if not by next week we will be wondering how a team that scraped to get in on the last day of the season knocked the Devils out of the playoffs. I knopw they have more, and are still a better team. When they want to play they take it to the Flyers, but that energy is too far and between to win these tight games.

Marty is playing well, now the rest of the team needs to support him with some offensive momentum!

There is no way in hell Brian Boucher should be beating this team I dont care who they have playing defense in front of them, and even then they only have Pronger and Timmonen.

JL you need to show some dame emotion!! Maybe throw a trash can or two in the locker room like another Devils Coach did...

#489 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

you do see where i say 'in before 70 people tell me how much last night's game sucked' to try to head off this obvious retort - the team is unquestionably capable of passion, which is my point.

Yo do see that you edited that 1 min before I POSTED the reply, meaning that while you posted your edit, I had this reply thing open?

NOW I agree with your point

believe-3devils.jpg

#490 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Ummmmmmmmmm would that be a product of "lack of consistencty"?????

#491 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Like I said after game 1. The team is feeding off the coach like it or not. Parise thought they played well in Game 1, and they still think they are playing well enough to win, when in all honesty it could be 3 - 0 right now instead of 2 - 1. Even the game 2 that they won could have gone either way as well. Last night was a perfect example. The third period, they were penned in their own end for so long it seemed like they were on the PK most of it.

This team has not brought nearly the intensity it needs to win this series to this point. I hope they have anothewr gear because if not by next week we will be wondering how a team that scraped to get in on the last day of the season knocked the Devils out of the playoffs. I knopw they have more, and are still a better team. When they want to play they take it to the Flyers, but that energy is too far and between to win these tight games.

Marty is playing well, now the rest of the team needs to support him with some offensive momentum!

There is no way in hell Brian Boucher should be beating this team I dont care who they have playing defense in front of them, and even then they only have Pronger and Timmonen.

JL you need to show some dame emotion!! Maybe throw a trash can or two in the locker room like another Devils Coach did...

Or....throw a player or two IN the trash can?

believe-3devils.jpg

#492 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

An NHL coach shouldn't have to "inspire" NHL players to play in the postseason. Especially against a division rival. And moreso when the series is tied 1-1 after a huge, emotional victory.

The problem last night was a sudden change in either game-plan, strategy or short-term memory loss. All the things that had them see success on Friday night were suddenly forgotten and we gave Bobby Boucher a friendly bye instead of driving another huge nail into the coffin that so tentatively holds his confidence.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#493 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

An NHL coach shouldn't have to "inspire" NHL players to play in the postseason. Especially against a division rival. And moreso when the series is tied 1-1 after a huge, emotional victory.

The problem last night was a sudden change in either game-plan, strategy or short-term memory loss. All the things that had them see success on Friday night were suddenly forgotten and we gave Bobby Boucher a friendly bye instead of driving another huge nail into the coffin that so tentatively holds his confidence.

I totally agree that they SHOULDNT HAVE TO inspire them, but when you see an "uninspiring effort" than the coach needs to btring it to some of these guys attention and let them know it isnt going to happen again or they will bew riding the pine (and mean it)

#494 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

it's too bad we're stuck with these players for the foreseeable future though. Lou isn't going to slash and burn this team. He'll sign one, maybe two, journeymen players to the roster and hope for better luck next season. And once again Marty will be asked to stand on his head for 70+ games and get us into the playoffs. It's like a broken record... it's been the M.O. of this team for the past few years and it's not going to change.

This team does not need to be blown up, and the players we're "stuck with" are all good (with the exception of Rolston, who isn't nearly the drag on the team as guys like Redden/Drury are).

What is clear to me though is that the blue-line needs to be significantly upgraded. I don't know how exactly it can be done, except by good/lucky drafting.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#495 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

One day later, and I still don't understand how they came out for OT without any improvement in their game from the 3rd period. What the hell happened in that locker room between the 3rd and OT? Because I know if it was Stevens sitting in that room, it would be 18 minutes of obscenities and things flying around the room, and they would sure as hell come out for OT with a fire lighting up their asses. Where is the leadership? Where is the coach telling the players they were damn lucky to be tied? Where is our amazing captain telling everyone they were playing like sh!t, him included?

I honestly think that absolutely nothing was said in that room between periods other than Lemaire giving his team the old "We shoot da puck, dey shoot da puck. We just have to shoot puck in da goal one more than they. Go team!"

#496 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

One day later, and I still don't understand how they came out for OT without any improvement in their game from the 3rd period. What the hell happened in that locker room between the 3rd and OT? Because I know if it was Stevens sitting in that room, it would be 18 minutes of obscenities and things flying around the room, and they would sure as hell come out for OT with a fire lighting up their asses. Where is the leadership? Where is the coach telling the players they were damn lucky to be tied? Where is our amazing captain telling everyone they were playing like sh!t, him included?

I honestly think that absolutely nothing was said in that room between periods other than Lemaire giving his team the old "We shoot da puck, dey shoot da puck. We just have to shoot puck in da goal one more than they. Go team!"

explain why the devils were terrible in overtime with scott stevens as a new jersey devil, then.

edit: 9-16, or .360

the devils had almost no time in OT, and right away clarkson took a penalty, and the devils never recovered.

Edited by Triumph, 19 April 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#497 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Honestly they were lucky to get to OT with as much time as they spent in their own end in the 3rd period. That is what amazes me, no urgency in the 3rd...

#498 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

explain why the devils were terrible in overtime with scott stevens as a new jersey devil, then.

edit: 9-16, or .360

the devils had almost no time in OT, and right away clarkson took a penalty, and the devils never recovered.

Stevens being on the team and the team still failing in OT is not the same thing as Stevens being on the team and kicking their asses after being thoroughly outplayed and not showing up for the entire game as they are heading into OT. I was arguing that Stevens would throw a sh!t fit between periods, not that he was a magical OT inspiration.

#499 No1betterNJDevs

No1betterNJDevs

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

I definitely agree with those who say it's partially Lemaire's fault. He's CONSTANTLY changing up the lines and linemates and they never get a chance to friggen try to get any chemistry...so when they're in a jam or even a good situation, they don't know who to pass it to and they get all jumbled up.
Pain is weakness--leaving the body.

#500 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

optional practice today. nice. hopefully they have a film study today at the hotel, but I have a feeling it's more likely they have cribbage and cheesesteak eating contests

edit: and only the scratches/fringe guys showed up. Lemaire isn't even there. beautiful.

Edited by maxpower, 19 April 2010 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users