132 replies to this topic

#41 Patches O'Houlihan

Patches O'Houlihan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

these are pretty significant changes, all things considered. nothing can be done about rolston. i don't really think that getting rid of colin white is a significant change. langenbrunner, meh, while i wouldn't mind seeing him gone, he's gone in another year.

They are insignificant to me in that I think the end result would be the same as it has been...probably make the playoffs and most likely lose in the first round. At some point, they have to make a decision to stop being Sisyphus, even it leads to some lean years.

Having said that, I am aware that they are somewhat hamstrung with too many mid-30s players with NTCs to change much of the core. They can change the coach though, bring in someone with a fresh perspective and energy. That's something I would definitely be in favor of.
"I won't put big money into defenders, guys who only defend. There are guys out there who make millions of dollars that strictly defend. We don't believe doing that gives you bang for your buck."
- Ken Holland

#42 mikedabigdawg

mikedabigdawg

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

:ECW: :puke: :puke: :puke: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

#43 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I woke up this morning having decided to not dwell anymore and just talk about the future.

I could barely eat after reading that sh!t....I lost the horizon :evilcry:

believe-3devils.jpg

#44 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

I am very happy about this. Unlike everyone else on this board. I still believe in Lemaire and love his coaching. Of course there are things I wish he did differently, as with all coaches. But he really is the smartest coach and has taught players so much already. And if everyone is still on Kovalchuks balls, after the other game he did say the entire team still trusts Lemaire. So a recap, Lou loves Kovalchuk, both Lou and Kovalchuk like Lemaire, and Lemaire doesn't question Langenbrunners leadership. Somewhere you'd have to break your trust with someone if you don't believe that. Anyone calling for Lou's head is probably the worst hockey fan ever.
Devils.

#45 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

I'm guess in the word effort is missing from the above quote. If Lou is not unhappy with the effort the players gave than I'm sad to say it's time for Lou Lams to step down.

Amen +1

JL better than Johnny Mac.

Edited by LucifersDog, 23 April 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#46 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

this better be face-saving for certain individuals. if not, my advice is not to get a 1st round pick or an early 2nd... no draft party. there's going to be some really angry people

#47 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Lou has to do something. Although I am not surprised he is saying this, it still fvcking pisses me off. This series was probably a new low for the Devils franchise in the Lou Lamoriello era. Pierre McGuire (and I know he is an idiot) called it "the most pitiful demise of a hockey team he has ever seen." Sadly, I tend to agree with him. I have never seen a top seeded team get worked over by a lower seed like that ever. Usually you see a top seed get knocked out because of some ridiculous goalie performance like Giguere against the Wings, Theodore against the Bruins, Joseph against the Stars, Hiller against the Sharks etc.

But this was something else. Major changes need to be made.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#48 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
25smul5.png

#49 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

JL signed for 2 years. That's perfectly fine by me if he stays, I know I said last night there was no coming back from last night's loss - but a clearer head this morning feels differently. JL is a hockey genius, but even genius' can't do magic. He's a great mind, and our guys will continue to learn from him next season. I think we'll see more rookies next season in the lineup, and I think a full year under JL will set this team up for a good future.

I don't think JL is the issue, I think it's a talent issue. I know I sound like a broken record, and at somepoint I'll write a thorough write-up about the summer. But I'll give quick ideas, that I've been writing around with today.

Tri, I think Rolston is moveable - some team could take him if we sweeten the pot a little bit. What that means, I don't know. I think Colin White could be useful to other teams - but one of him or Salvador have to go. Since you can't get a good defenseman by trade in this league anymore, I think Pavel Kubina is someone I'd consider signing. Mike Mottau, Martin Skoula are finished here. I'd be willing to sign Mike Mottau for the minimum to be a 7th defenseman but not part of the top-6. I think we have some rookies in Corrente, Eckford, etc. who maybe ready.

Langenbrunner has one more year, like Tri said, but I think if they could get something for him - great. If you can package him and White somewhere, even better. A team like Columbus seems prime for a guy like White or Jamie. I'm not sure what we could get in return - or what we'd want.

Guys who need to go: Peters, Pando, Rolston (I don't care how it's done), Skoula, Mottau, Niedermayer, McAmmond, 1 of White/Salvador and Jamie Langenbrunner.

My today as of 3:15pm fantasy team for next year.

Parise(3.125)-Zajac(4.2)-Zubrus(3.4) - 11M
Kovalchuk (7.5)-Elias (6)-Colby Armstrong (2.5) - 16M
Zharkov(.850)-Belanger(2.75)-Clarkson(1.5) - 5M
Halischuk(.875)-Pelley (.550)-Leblond (.525) - 2.1M

Kubina (5)-Martin (5)
Sal (2.9)-Greene (750K)
Corrente-Eckford-Fraser-Cheap FA (2M/both)

D: 16M
O: 34M
G: 5.5M

Total 55M

Much more to come in the following days.

#50 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

Lou has to do something. Although I am not surprised he is saying this, it still fvcking pisses me off. This series was probably a new low for the Devils franchise in the Lou Lamoriello era. Pierre McGuire (and I know he is an idiot) called it "the most pitiful demise of a hockey team he has ever seen." Sadly, I tend to agree with him. I have never seen a top seeded team get worked over by a lower seed like that ever. Usually you see a top seed get knocked out because of some ridiculous goalie performance like Giguere against the Wings, Theodore against the Bruins, Joseph against the Stars, Hiller against the Sharks etc.

But this was something else. Major changes need to be made.

As much as I hate to say it, I gotta agree with McGuire. I guess the first couple of games were not that bad but from game 3 forward this team just got waxed by the Flyers. It wasn't even close. I said it yesterday as well, but this was the worst beat down in a series this team has had that I can remember in the last 17 years.

Edited by Sickman, 23 April 2010 - 02:23 PM.

New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#51 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,880 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

that's a good start, HOI. i'll have thoughts about this in a week's time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#52 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121430397867489#!/group.php?gid=121430397867489&v=wall

for those who truly do not want to see JL return

I'm there.
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#53 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,435 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

You can probably throw Taormina and possibly Urbom as more guys going for that spot. The Devils have so many possible guys for that area they could arguably just roll the dice with all the rookies, see what comes up, and acquire the cheap FA type guy later if needed, in a trade.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#54 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

Larry Robinson is a hockey genius. Jacques Lemaire is a mediocre NHL coach with a losing playoff record sans Robinson.
but, he's got a good personality in interviews. a hockey genius wouldn't be using a stretch pass system with this group of defensemen.

he had an awful, awful, awful, awful series. of course, the players quit like lazy dogs, so I can't fault him in whole. only 50%. which disappoints me because I despise him and would love to blame him 100%. :lol:

#55 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

HOI - i'm thinking similarly - especially with Belanger who I have in mind for the 3rd line center @ $2.25MM.

I don't think Kovalchuk stays and the more i think about it, the more i'm talking myself out of him.

in my mind, i'm targeting plekanec to play center on the 2nd line - hopefully Elias could talk his countryman into coming @ 4.75MM for 4 years.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#56 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

F
Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#57 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

This roster doesn't have to be gutted. We just need a better coach and get back to the team concept we played when we were 30-10.

You guys are funny. Better coach? The guys is arguably one of the best coaches in hockey, and you want a better coach?

It's about time the players start being professional, and doing what they're told to do. Granted, Lemaire is not a saint, but he certainly can't be faulted for everything here. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and that seemed to be the case with guys like Rolston, Niedermayer, Langenbrunner, Elias...etc. These guys lack the motivation to win, and that is the biggest challenge of all.

#58 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well I guess this means the organization feels the players are more to blame for this mess. And if that is in fact the case I guess some changes in the locker room will be coming.

I was not pleased with the job Lemaire did toward the end of this season but it's not fair to put all of this on him. At the end of the day players need to execute no matter what system they are playing. They had been having trouble doing that for 4 months.

LOL that is funny Lou, saying he will be back. Really come on when are you announcing that JL is resigning?? The bottom line here is JL shouldnt have even finished coaching the game last night.

But that being said, as Sickman said the players must be at fault. If Lou feels that way, then I better not see Neids, Mottau, White, Langenbrunner (for starters) back next year. He better bering in some character guys that will step up when they need to, not like this bunch!!

#59 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,435 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

But that being said, as Sickman said the players must be at fault. If Lou feels that way, then I better not see Neids, Mottau, White, Langenbrunner (for starters) back next year. He better bering in some character guys that will step up when they need to, not like this bunch!!

After the jelly thing and the effort put out the next game I think it's the players who will end up being changed. Lams obviously did everything he could to add all the weight he could add to motivating the team and they still came out flat.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#60 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

JL signed for 2 years. That's perfectly fine by me if he stays, I know I said last night there was no coming back from last night's loss - but a clearer head this morning feels differently. JL is a hockey genius, but even genius' can't do magic. He's a great mind, and our guys will continue to learn from him next season. I think we'll see more rookies next season in the lineup, and I think a full year under JL will set this team up for a good future.

I don't think JL is the issue, I think it's a talent issue. I know I sound like a broken record, and at somepoint I'll write a thorough write-up about the summer. But I'll give quick ideas, that I've been writing around with today.

Tri, I think Rolston is moveable - some team could take him if we sweeten the pot a little bit. What that means, I don't know. I think Colin White could be useful to other teams - but one of him or Salvador have to go. Since you can't get a good defenseman by trade in this league anymore, I think Pavel Kubina is someone I'd consider signing. Mike Mottau, Martin Skoula are finished here. I'd be willing to sign Mike Mottau for the minimum to be a 7th defenseman but not part of the top-6. I think we have some rookies in Corrente, Eckford, etc. who maybe ready.

Langenbrunner has one more year, like Tri said, but I think if they could get something for him - great. If you can package him and White somewhere, even better. A team like Columbus seems prime for a guy like White or Jamie. I'm not sure what we could get in return - or what we'd want.

Guys who need to go: Peters, Pando, Rolston (I don't care how it's done), Skoula, Mottau, Niedermayer, McAmmond, 1 of White/Salvador and Jamie Langenbrunner.

My today as of 3:15pm fantasy team for next year.

Parise(3.125)-Zajac(4.2)-Zubrus(3.4) - 11M
Kovalchuk (7.5)-Elias (6)-Colby Armstrong (2.5) - 16M
Zharkov(.850)-Belanger(2.75)-Clarkson(1.5) - 5M
Halischuk(.875)-Pelley (.550)-Leblond (.525) - 2.1M

Kubina (5)-Martin (5)
Sal (2.9)-Greene (750K)

D: 16M
O: 34M
G: 5.5M

Total 55M

Much more to come in the following days.

I agree that JL is a good teacher for the younger players, and I agree he is very knowledgable, but his line forming system (or lack thereof) has got to change. You can say whatever you want to about it doesnt matter, but IT DOES MATTER. These guys not only played without heart, they certainly played without any chemistry.

ANd Zach basically said it doesnt work (all the line juggling) when he was asked by Stan after the game and he did not endorse that style of line play.

I am quite sure that the other players feel the same way about not knowing who you are skating with game to game or shift to shift for that matter.

I am quite certain that side of his coaching style isnt going to change though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users