halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5140977
http://en.wikipedia....ebral_contusion

Sad news. He was great for the Flyers in this series and was primed to have a great playoffs.

(I hope this remains classy, watching the games I had a lot of respect for what he was doing out there, the Flyers PK was key to their winning.)

The Flyers will be without Lapperriere, Carter, and Gagne... Tough to beat Boston or especially Washington without those guys.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#2 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5140977
http://en.wikipedia....ebral_contusion

Sad news. He was great for the Flyers in this series and was primed to have a great playoffs.

(I hope this remains classy, watching the games I had a lot of respect for what he was doing out there, the Flyers PK was key to their winning.)

The Flyers will be without Lapperriere, Carter, and Gagne... Tough to beat Boston or especially Washington without those guys.

yep, he took a brain bruise to stop a puck. we couldn't even be bothered to lift someone's stick. :lol: real surprise we lost, huh?

#3 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

I am shocked that the NHL has not yet mandated that every player wear a visor. And I'm more shocked that more players don't wear them.

All the best to Laperriere.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#4 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

yep, he took a brain bruise to stop a puck. we couldn't even be bothered to lift someone's stick. :lol: real surprise we lost, huh?

This sentence sums it up perfectly. Gotta respect a guy willing to put his body on the line, no matter what colors he wears. Never wanna see a guy get hurt like this, hope he gets well soon.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#5 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

I am shocked that the NHL has not yet mandated that every player wear a visor. And I'm more shocked that more players don't wear them.

All the best to Laperriere.

+1

I just read elsewhere that Poti is out for game 7 for taking a puck in the face too.
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#6 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

This sentence sums it up perfectly. Gotta respect a guy willing to put his body on the line, no matter what colors he wears. Never wanna see a guy get hurt like this, hope he gets well soon.

or a guy putting his brain and sight on the line.

Edited by ben00rs, 27 April 2010 - 07:46 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#7 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Even crazier, he took a puck to the face earlier this season, too. So even after that, he wasn't too gun shy to do it again. What a tough mofo.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 27 April 2010 - 07:55 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#8 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

I hate the Flyers so much, but you never want to see this happen to a guy who was simply working hard, even if he was the opponent. A guy who was willing to give up his body for his team is what winning hockey is all about. Lots of respect for Laperriere.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#9 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

Even crazier, he took a puck to the face earlier this season, too. So even after that, he wasn't too gun shy to do it again. What a tough mofo.

I love how the first question he asked was "Is my eye still there?" He was all about block the puck first and deal with the consequences later. Mad respect.

#10 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

I hate the Flyers so much, but you never want to see this happen to a guy who was simply working hard, even if he was the opponent. A guy who was willing to give up his body for his team is what winning hockey is all about. Lots of respect for Laperriere.

you know i typically hate the flyers, but i actually like that scrappy team that whipped the devils...

yeah hope lapperiere is OK...what a nasty thing that was.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#11 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Didn't Lapperiere block one with his face earlier in the season as well? I don't know it was with his face or his mouth but either way the guy's a certifiable wackjob, going facefirst twice to block a puck. And I say that with the biggest possible affection because we could use a psycho like that.

#12 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

Didn't Lapperiere block one with his face earlier in the season as well? I don't know it was with his face or his mouth but either way the guy's a certifiable wackjob, going facefirst twice to block a puck. And I say that with the biggest possible affection because we could use a psycho like that.

It was his mouth the first time yeah, I think he lost like eight teeth. Good thing this one was only a Martin slapper.

#13 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

We criticize players for not skating with their heads up, but we applaud a guy who puts his noggin in a shooting lane? Er, OK.

#14 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

We criticize players for not skating with their heads up, but we applaud a guy who puts his noggin in a shooting lane? Er, OK.

Wierd huh. Kinda dumb blocking a shot with your face/head.

I understand putting it all on the line for your team, but if I see you sprawled out on the ice looking at me when I'm gonna shoot, I'm blasting it right at you. It's your tough sh!t if it hits you in the head.

#15 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

Yeah if a player ever ends up dying on the ice, I think this is the most likely cause.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#16 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

Yeah if a player ever ends up dying on the ice, I think this is the most likely cause.

I was remiss in adding that your thread starter was on the money in complementing Laperriere and the rest of the Flyer penalty killers. They played great.

#17 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

Headline reads:- "NHL player dies on ice due to stupidity"

On a comparison, I think there is equal possibility of a player dying if a Steve Moore-Marcus Naslund incident is repeated. Hopefully it never will be.

#18 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

Headline reads:- "NHL player dies on ice due to stupidity"

On a comparison, I think there is equal possibility of a player dying if a Steve Moore-Marcus Naslund incident is repeated. Hopefully it never will be.

You call it stupidity I call it sacrifice.

#19 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

You call it stupidity I call it sacrifice.

My, you are a cantankerous one. Pretty refreshing for new blood on this site, it's like a breath of fresh air.

I value my health, laying on the ice like a dumbass to block a shot is stupid AND dangerous (are you listening Laperierre). Blocking shots like the Russians did in the 50's and 60's is the way to go, IMO.

#20 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:59 PM

My, you are a cantankerous one. Pretty refreshing for new blood on this site, it's like a breath of fresh air.

I value my health, laying on the ice like a dumbass to block a shot is stupid AND dangerous (are you listening Laperierre). Blocking shots like the Russians did in the 50's and 60's is the way to go, IMO.

No need to take a shot at me, yes you are a much more experienced poster. I was also just stating my opinion and the majority here seem to agree with me, which doesn't make me right but I think gives me the right to not be pointed out specifically as "cantankerous." Nice word drop though.

And I don't think it's fair to call Laperierre a dumbass for blocking a shot with his face because it's a smart move if you want to go deep into the playoffs, but I do think it's fair if you want to call him a dumbass for not wearing a visor.

Edited by ben00rs, 28 April 2010 - 12:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users