11 replies to this topic

#1 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

This from the NY Times from several weeks ago. I don't remember it being posted here. If it was please delete.

http://www.nytimes.c...html?ref=hockey

Subtly, some teams have been moving toward playing goal songs for individual players. After the Detroit Red Wings score their first goal at a home game, they always play “Hey Hey Hockeytown,” written for the team by an advertising agency in 1996. But then they play different goal songs.

When Brian Rafalski scores, “Jump Around” is played because he is an alumnus of the University of Wisconsin, where the song is popular at games. “Newfie Stomp” is played after a goal by Dan Cleary, a native of Newfoundland. When Pavel Datsyuk scores, the team spokesman John Hahn said, the Red Wings play a song by Pitbull because Datsyuk likes the rapper.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Here comes another thread about hockey fans calling out each others morality and getting butthurt about people chanting "HEY, YOU SUCK" at the other team.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#3 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

you suck is the greatest chant ever, it's the one chant that unites the rock on every repetition.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#4 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hey you suck is classless and unnecessary.

Nah, just kidding. fvckin love it.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#5 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

"Hey, you suck!" doesn't go far enough.

If we really want to stick it to the other team, we should chant "Hey, fvck you!" ... Or even better, "Hey, drop dead!" ... Or better still, "Hey, die pigs!"

#6 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

Subtly, some teams have been moving toward playing goal songs for individual players. After the Detroit Red Wings score their first goal at a home game, they always play “Hey Hey Hockeytown,” written for the team by an advertising agency in 1996. But then they play different goal songs.

When Brian Rafalski scores, “Jump Around” is played because he is an alumnus of the University of Wisconsin, where the song is popular at games. “Newfie Stomp” is played after a goal by Dan Cleary, a native of Newfoundland. When Pavel Datsyuk scores, the team spokesman John Hahn said, the Red Wings play a song by Pitbull because Datsyuk likes the rapper.

I'm not sure about music when we score, but I've got some ideas for when we don't.

When Rolston gets the puck I'm thinking, "Oh No, Not You Again" by The Rolling Stones.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#7 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

When Rolston gets the puck I'm thinking, "Oh No, Not You Again" by The Rolling Stones.

:rofl:

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#8 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:00 AM

Don't we need to score goals for a song to be played...so why worry about it.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#9 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:00 AM

i usually get excited and get up when there is a break away, this season i saw rolston break away 3 times at the arena and didn't budge.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#10 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

"Hey, you suck!" doesn't go far enough.

If we really want to stick it to the other team, we should chant "Hey, fvck you!" ... Or even better, "Hey, drop dead!" ... Or better still, "Hey, die pigs!"

The best is when we do this chant when we score a goal even though we are losing 4-1. The chant is fun but a little classless and dumb.

#11 Devils1985

Devils1985

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

The best is when we do this chant when we score a goal even though we are losing 4-1. The chant is fun but a little classless and dumb.

I think the chant is awesome, but there are times when it would be wise to just let it go. The above is one of 'em.....
Posted Image

Trenton: Where we flip off the Kiss Cam.

#12 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Just a little side note here as this gets derailed into yet another "To say 'You Suck!' or not to say 'You Suck!'" discussion ...

During Game 2, the only game where the Devils actually made the Flyers' goalie sweat, me and my section 225 cohorts had some fun with Brian Boucher's name similarity to The Waterboy, Bobby Boucher. On top of occasional singsongs of "Waaaater sucks, it really really sucks!" and "Gaaaaaaaaaaatoraaaaaaade!", we subsituted the "You Suck!" part of the goal chant to "Water sucks!"

Good times.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users