78 replies to this topic

#41 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

gainey still had a terrible off-season and the habs still aren't a good team. if anyone wants to debate me about this, do it in another thread, but this is just a fact - the habs get killed at even strength, they are not a good team.

i don't like this team either but the good news is that for the most part it's not signed for very long. this wasn't true 3 years ago.

Wow, I wish the Devils weren't a good team either. Maybe we could be in the conference finals too.

Gainey made a lot of underrated moves Camalari and Gill in particular. When you force Pittsburgh into 20 turnovers to your 1 your doing something right.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#42 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

Anyone think about the possibility of getting Arnie back for one season? (as a stopgap for Henrique)

arnott is a shell of what he was but would still be a fine #2 center. problem is that nashville has no reason to trade him and the devils don't match up well in a trade.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#43 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Good analysis, Tri, but really sickening in the end. This team isn't going to be in any better a position to win next year. The Devils' major skill guys are aging and we have a few albatross-like contracts. Unless Lou pulls off the magic blowup (cutting Rolston, Pandolfo, trading Langenbrunner for value), I think 2011 is a lost season as we wait for contracts to expire and the youngins to develop.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

Good analysis, Tri, but really sickening in the end. This team isn't going to be in any better a position to win next year. The Devils' major skill guys are aging and we have a few albatross-like contracts. Unless Lou pulls off the magic blowup (cutting Rolston, Pandolfo, trading Langenbrunner for value), I think 2011 is a lost season as we wait for contracts to expire and the youngins to develop.

i think 'lost season' is a lot of nonsense, though. look at what montreal's doing. they are terrible. they haven't invented some new way to win - they're just godawful. and yet they're winning because their goalie is playing like god and the opposing goalie is playing terrible. so that can still happen, and it happens pretty often.

the devils will basically be an average team next year, that finishes above average because A: they play their starting goalie much much more than their backup (and more than other teams do) and B: they take less penalties than other teams. they'll have a goal differential +/- 10.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

I mean "lost season" in the sense that we won't be in the ECF next year, either. Maybe not lost for ownership, but lost for the fans who missed yet another window to make noise.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#46 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

What does a potential increase by 2 mil to the cap do the Devils plans? Discuss

The salary cap will likely rise by roughly $2 million for next season.
Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

What does a potential increase by 2 mil to the cap do the Devils plans? Discuss

The salary cap will likely rise by roughly $2 million for next season.

pretty much the best case scenario for new jersey if they want to keep both kovalchuk and martin. it gives cap room to new jersey while keeping most of kovalchuk's other potential suitors too broke to consider him. it does put the rangers back into the mix though.

Edited by Triumph, 29 May 2010 - 10:28 AM.

#48 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

It's fantastic news for Chicago. Dump sopel & they're in
pretty good shape.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

It's fantastic news for Chicago. Dump sopel & they're in
pretty good shape.

not so sure about that. if niemi wins the stanley cup he's RFA and he's going to be due a large pay increase.

#50 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

so.........when is the part coming where we actually sign some good players? :rolleyes:

Edited by parisebrandon1994, 30 May 2010 - 11:48 AM.

25smul5.png

#51 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

Big physical CANADIAN defenceman... Just sayin..

#52 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

I would sign Dan Hamhuis over Paul Martin. Martin has shown he is an excellent regular season defensmen who lacks the intensity for the playoffs. Get someone who likes to hurt people.

Let our youngsters take up three forward positions on he top three lines...yes unheard of but really.I can't take another season of Pandolfo/Niedermayer/McAmmond type players playing 15+ minutes a night. This camp is going to be interesting, you will have Zharkov, Vasyunov, Halischuk, Henrique, Josefson and Tedenby all competing for rosters spots. Don't be surprised if McIntyre makes a run at a spot, elite speed at center.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#53 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

Tri, one thing that doesn't add up to me with your teams is the lack of youth added. Only Vladimir Zharkov is mentioned making the team. That would leave Tedenby, Halischuk, Henrique, Josefson, Vasyunov, Palmieri, McIntyre all in lowell. That would leave around 447 000 in AHL salaries in 7 forwards, that is unheard of for a team as stingy as the Devils plus not enough ice time to go around. You still have Swift, Nagy, Perkovich and Mills who were all getting significant ice time under MacLean.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#54 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

Tri, one thing that doesn't add up to me with your teams is the lack of youth added. Only Vladimir Zharkov is mentioned making the team. That would leave Tedenby, Halischuk, Henrique, Josefson, Vasyunov, Palmieri, McIntyre all in lowell. That would leave around 447 000 in AHL salaries in 7 forwards, that is unheard of for a team as stingy as the Devils plus not enough ice time to go around. You still have Swift, Nagy, Perkovich and Mills who were all getting significant ice time under MacLean.

for one, martin is way better than hamhuis, and how often have hamhuis's teams won a round in the playoffs...?

i don't see how this is a problem at all. AHL salaries are around 50k-100k in general. swift, perkovich, nagy, and mills have almost no NHL shot, so what does it matter if they don't get much ice time? vasuynov is a non-prospect as well. halischuk will probably get a shot once again, but he wasn't very good, and he can't seem to stay healthy. also these were written before josefson and tedenby were signed IIRC.

Edited by Triumph, 01 June 2010 - 08:54 AM.

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

for one, martin is way better than hamhuis, and how often have hamhuis's teams won a round in the playoffs...?

About as often as Martin's recently.

i don't see how this is a problem at all. AHL salaries are around 50k-100k in general. swift, perkovich, nagy, and mills have almost no NHL shot, so what does it matter if they don't get much ice time? vasuynov is a non-prospect as well. halischuk will probably get a shot once again, but he wasn't very good, and he can't seem to stay healthy. also these were written before josefson and tedenby were signed IIRC.

I think Haluschuk can have an upside on the 3rd line on a younger Devils team as opposed to being thrown on the 4th line. He's had some moments in the AHL.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 01 June 2010 - 09:32 AM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#56 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

The 2 mil cap increase would undoubtedly let the Devils sign Kovalchuk, Martin, and Clarkson. Unfortunately, that still doesn't make Zach Parise a safe bet for the next offseason. With the economy being how it is, wouldn't we expect the cap to eventually freeze or go down? It can't keep going up like this every year.

#57 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

The 2 mil cap increase would undoubtedly let the Devils sign Kovalchuk, Martin, and Clarkson. Unfortunately, that still doesn't make Zach Parise a safe bet for the next offseason. With the economy being how it is, wouldn't we expect the cap to eventually freeze or go down? It can't keep going up like this every year.

This is true. Langenbrunner and Pandolfo's contracts will both be up next year, which will free up some space (5.3 million). Greene will also need to be re-signed. The Devils could be out of the woods if they pull that off, because the following year, Rolston, White, and Salvador are all UFA, assuming they are all Devils by then. That's another 10.962. Oh, and Brodeur will also be UFA. If Marty retires (cue LD dancing), that's 16.162 all coming off at once.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#58 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

This is true. Langenbrunner and Pandolfo's contracts will both be up next year, which will free up some space (5.3 million). Greene will also need to be re-signed. The Devils could be out of the woods if they pull that off, because the following year, Rolston, White, and Salvador are all UFA, assuming they are all Devils by then. That's another 10.962. Oh, and Brodeur will also be UFA. If Marty retires (cue LD dancing), that's 16.162 all coming off at once.

I don't want Lou's job that's for sure. Because a lot of guys are coming off the book soon... but they have to be replaced. The rookies have to pan out... Josefson, Tedenby, Zharkov, Corrente, Eckford, Halischuk, Vasyunov, Burlon, Henrique, Urbom and so on. They will need to get paid as well. If we plan on getting Marty's number off the books, he obviously needs to be replaced as well.

#59 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

I don't want Lou's job that's for sure. Because a lot of guys are coming off the book soon... but they have to be replaced. The rookies have to pan out... Josefson, Tedenby, Zharkov, Corrente, Eckford, Halischuk, Vasyunov, Burlon, Henrique, Urbom and so on. They will need to get paid as well. If we plan on getting Marty's number off the books, he obviously needs to be replaced as well.

and maybe this is why MacLean will stay in Lowell (albany).... If Johnny does not get the NJ head coaching job, it might be because he wants him to stay working with the young talent for now (another year)...
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

i believe it's mostly going up this year because of the canadian dollar doing well against the american dollar.

brodeur is the player i am least concerned about replacing.

i think the devils can still afford to sign kovalchuk and martin, even though i think it's very unlikely that they do, and they can afford them both long-term as well. the year after rolston, salvador, and white come off the books, elias, zubrus, and zajac come off the books. that happens to be the year where, theoretically, tedenby, josefson, urbom, and henrique would all be due new contracts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users