588 replies to this topic

#561 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

My wife and I have been hitting the smaller venues like at the Count Basie Theater...

So far...

Took my older son to see Hammer of the Gods (Led Zep Tribute band)

George Carlin last show (sorry, not music)

Steve Miler Band and thinking about a show in October, A night with Alice Cooper.

I miss seeing Portnoy in Dream Theater.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

Saw Steve Miller at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. Never smelled so much grass in my life. And that includes the time I was dragged to Dave Matthews at Hershey Park while I was still in college. Steve puts on a good show though.  He's still got something left in the tank.  He plays a lot of newer blues-ier stuff too.  

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 26 July 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#562 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Saw Steve Miller at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. Never smelled so much grass in my life.

LOL!!! Not a scent at the Count Basie...I do remember back in the day seeing Johnny Winter at the Passaic Theater and that smoke was pouring out into the street! ;)

Edited by Devlin, 26 July 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#563 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

LOL!!! Not a scent at the Count Basie...I do remember back in the day seeing Johnny Winter at the Passaic Theater and that smoke was pouring out into the street! ;)

Do you mean the old Capitol Theatre in Passaic? I saw one show there in the mid-Eighties a few years before it closed for good. I also stood outside on line there a few times waiting for its Ticketmaster ticket box office window to open up in the morning.

#564 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Saw Steve Miller at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. Never smelled so much grass in my life. And that includes the time I was dragged to Dave Matthews at Hershey Park while I was still in college. Steve puts on a good show though. He's still got something left in the tank. He plays a lot of newer blues-ier stuff too.

hell yea, red rocks is an unbelievable venue

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#565 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

Do you mean the old Capitol Theatre in Passaic? I saw one show there in the mid-Eighties a few years before it closed for good. I also stood outside on line there a few times waiting for its Ticketmaster ticket box office window to open up in the morning.

Yep...The Capital theater!! I had didn't even know it closed...all the classic places are closing down.

#566 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Trying to get reasonably priced lawn seats for this Sunday's Black Sabbath show at PNC, but so far no luck.

#567 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Same here, I waited because I was deciding between Sabbath and Pentagram and by the time I made up my mind, the lawn seats sold out.  There was a ticket on ebay earlier today with a buy it now of $65, hopefully passing up on that wasn't a mistake...

Anyway, about a week or two ago I saw Dio Disciples at Mexicali Live in Teaneck.  Dio Disciples is a cover band that consists of some of Ronnie James Dio's former bandmates and they play a bunch of old songs from Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath during the Dio years.  It was great to see such famous people performing in such a small intimate venue, I was literally right up against the stage, there wasn't even a barricade or anything like at most concert venues.  Even better is my coworker's band, Lethal Affection, opened for them so it was cool to see my buddy's band opening for these guys he grew up idolizing.  They finished their set with a cover of Judas Priest's Painkiller which they did a really good job with.  You can listen to some of their songs on their facebook page, my favorite is Taste of Anarchy.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#568 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Same here, I waited because I was deciding between Sabbath and Pentagram and by the time I made up my mind, the lawn seats sold out.  There was a ticket on ebay earlier today with a buy it now of $65, hopefully passing up on that wasn't a mistake...

Anyway, about a week or two ago I saw Dio Disciples at Mexicali Live in Teaneck.  Dio Disciples is a cover band that consists of some of Ronnie James Dio's former bandmates and they play a bunch of old songs from Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath during the Dio years.  It was great to see such famous people performing in such a small intimate venue, I was literally right up against the stage, there wasn't even a barricade or anything like at most concert venues.  Even better is my coworker's band, Lethal Affection, opened for them so it was cool to see my buddy's band opening for these guys he grew up idolizing.  They finished their set with a cover of Judas Priest's Painkiller which they did a really good job with.  You can listen to some of their songs on their facebook page, my favorite is Taste of Anarchy.

Sounds like it was a good show. I know Vivan Campbell, guitarist from Dio, has been making some noise lately, trying to get writing credits on some of the classic tunes and also touring with some of the old bandmates under the name Last in Line -- but I assume he was not involved with Dio Disciples?

I live about 10 minutes away from Mexicali Live. Been there a few times. Definitely a cool place to see a show.

#569 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Nah he wasn't there, it was Mark Boals and Oni Logan singing (Tim "Ripper" Owens is also a singer but wasn't at this show.  Boals was a guest singer for a few shows I guess in Ripper's place), Craig Goldy playing guitar, Bjorn Englen on bass, Scott Warren on keyboard, and Vinny Appice playing drums (in place of usual drummer Simon Wright).

This was my first time at that place.  It was a longer drive than I thought for me, but definitely a good venue.

EDIT:  Here's the setlist

Edited by devilsfan26, 04 August 2013 - 12:05 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#570 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Giving SERIOUS consideration to the Shindig Festival (Baltimore) on 9/14:  Dropkick Murphys, Gaslight Anthem, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reverend Horton Heat, Clutch, Joan Jett And The Blackhearts and others.

lemon-gotothere.gif

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#571 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

lemon-gotothere.gif

Tickets still available, son!

Hop to it!

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#572 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Streetlight Manifesto Nov 15-16 @ Starland... i got tix for just the 16th... can't wait. going to be an epic end 

POTATO!!!

#573 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Anyone go to Nine Inch Nails at the rock last night? Awesome light show.

Devils.

#574 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Has anyone been to a concert at Barclays Center in Brooklyn? If so, how were the seats? Someone warned me to avoid the upper bowl because the seats are so high up compared to other arenas. Does anyone have any experiences from that arena that they can share?

#575 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Has anyone been to a concert at Barclays Center in Brooklyn? If so, how were the seats? Someone warned me to avoid the upper bowl because the seats are so high up compared to other arenas. Does anyone have any experiences from that arena that they can share?

Saw Dave Matthews Band there last winter

Had GA floor, show was sick...the 200 level does look like it is pitched verrrrryyyy steep

Floor or 100 level near the stage you should be fine

I would personally avoid the 200 level if at all possible.

Good luck!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#576 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

I was at Braclay's for the Islanders/Devils pre-season game back in September and my seats were about the 4th row from the very top.  What I remember most that it was very dark and steep up there and had to use the flashlight feature on my iphone to see where I was stepping and the seat numbers.  It did feel like we were higher up than comparable seats at the Rock.

#577 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

I was at Braclay's for the Islanders/Devils pre-season game back in September and my seats were about the 4th row from the very top.  What I remember most that it was very dark and steep up there and had to use the flashlight feature on my iphone to see where I was stepping and the seat numbers.  It did feel like we were higher up than comparable seats at the Rock.

I was also at that game...but about 4 rows from the ice instead of from the top lol. The arena is a nice place, the seats were nice, in my opinion. Only thing I can really complain about is that I was on line for a burger for 30 minutes :( If you sit in the upper level, you can order food from your seat and go pick it up...

#578 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to stay away from the 200s at Barclays unless I get first row or something.

DM84, just curious, how comfortable were the seats up there? I heard that those seats are small with little leg room, much like at the Rock. How would you compare the two?

#579 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to stay away from the 200s at Barclays unless I get first row or something.

DM84, just curious, how comfortable were the seats up there? I heard that those seats are small with little leg room, much like at the Rock. How would you compare the two?

Pretty much exactly the same as the Rock 200-level seats in terms of room and comfort.  I think the fact at how friggin dark it was up there really annoyed me as without the flashlight feature on my iphone I wouldnt have seen where I was going or what seat # I was in.  If it was that bad for a hockey game with the lights blaring on the ice I can't imagine how dark it will be up there for a concert.

#580 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

May 1, 2014

Holmdel cracks down on parking lot activities at PNC Bank Arts Center

HOLMDEL – As the summer concert season nears, thousands of tailgaters and band superfans are preparing for the inevitable parking lot parties that often accompany major touring bands – but if they are coming to the PNC Bank Arts Center, they might want to leave their fun at home.

On Tuesday, the Holmdel Township Committee effectively banned tailgating at venues seating more than 4,000 people – targeting the 7,000 seat PNC Bank Arts Center.

http://www.nj.com/mo...r_concerts.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users