588 replies to this topic

#101 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

Went to Warped Tour today. I'm getting too old for that sh!t.

Glad we got there extremely early - last time I went was 06 and we sat in traffic for two hours. This time we were there before the gates opened and hit no traffic at all.

The set times we funky, with the two bands my friend wanted to see the most (Andrew WK and Reel Big Fish) being the first two bands to play on the main stage. It was actually pretty cool that way, Andrew WK was all kinds of fun and we were right up against the barricade. I've never been a fan of the whole pandering Party feel good thing he does, but it IS pretty fun in a live setting.

Spent the rest of the day wandering and checking out the few bands that didn't sound like everyone else (you know, whiny pop punk or screamy semi-hardcore). Found a really good Irish punk band called The Mighty Regis, who were hilarious, did a great Pogues cover, and ended with a wild version of Danny Boy.

Walking by SUM41 looking for my friends, I heard them cover Master of Puppets and Paint it Black. The Metallica cover was actually pretty awesome.

Reel Big Fish were fun as hell, Alkaline Trio was disappointingly kind of boring.

Hot as hell day, and I'm probably burnt to a crisp despite using tons of sunblock all day. Good tune up for Lollapalooza, I had forgotten how brutal those all-day outdoor summer festivals can be when it's hot.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#102 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,113 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:55 AM

Highlights of the summer so far have been Arcade Fire, Weezer and The Flaming Lips.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#103 cupcake23

cupcake23

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Went to Warped Tour today. I'm getting too old for that sh!t.

I stopped going in 2005 when I passed out from heat stroke and was helped by Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy.... that was a weird afternooon. They just don't make em like they used to and most of the bands are complete garbage and not worth the money.

I still wanna know if Skate and Surf is for real this year. http://www.skateandsurffest.com/ still not an actual site and says that it's coming this year. It would be nice to know if it's real, because I'm breaking out the 04 sweatshirt and going. lol

Official keeper of: Kevin Clark, Dr. Murray Seltzer,
The Arena Lounge (outside on Greene and Mullberry), and David Clarkson's lisp.

#104 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

I stopped going in 2005 when I passed out from heat stroke and was helped by Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy.... that was a weird afternooon. They just don't make em like they used to and most of the bands are complete garbage and not worth the money.

I still wanna know if Skate and Surf is for real this year. http://www.skateandsurffest.com/ still not an actual site and says that it's coming this year. It would be nice to know if it's real, because I'm breaking out the 04 sweatshirt and going. lol

Yeah, the main reason I went is because a few friends were going and the tickets were very cheap early on ($20 for a holographic collectible ticket and the Warped compilation). I hadn't been to one since '06, I think, before yesterday.

Reel Big Fish and Andrew WK were by far the highlights of the day, and finding that random Irish punk band was fun for me, but it's probably my last Warped unless I can get a similar very cheap deal and someone I'm really into is playing.

I would love to do Skate & Surf if just for the nostalgia. Didn't it used to be in like, April? Or maybe they'll have it in the fall to avoid conflicting with Bamboozle? :noclue:

Next on the docket is Flaming Lips next Tuesday. Can't wait for that one, should be batsh!t insane.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#105 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

I will see you there!

Rock your red! I will be doing so!

#106 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

I was this close to going to Monmouth Park and fighting through the Warped Tour crowd to bet on the ponies on Sunday. Around 10:30 a.m., my friends and I just sorta looked at each other and said, "This is a pretty bad idea." We just chilled in my buddy's back yard, swam in his pool and drank frozen cocktails all day long. WAY better move :D

And the last Warped Tour I went to was ... um ... 2002? Maybe earlier. I think it was the year Green Day headlined. Some good memories going to those festivals, most notably discovering The Living End in '98. But, yeah, too much sun and I'm too old for that anymore anyway.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#107 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

I was this close to going to Monmouth Park and fighting through the Warped Tour crowd to bet on the ponies on Sunday. Around 10:30 a.m., my friends and I just sorta looked at each other and said, "This is a pretty bad idea." We just chilled in my buddy's back yard, swam in his pool and drank frozen cocktails all day long. WAY better move :D

DEFINITELY a better idea. Traffic, from what I'm told, was insane by 11 AM.

#108 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

I remember going to Randalls Island for the Lollapalooza Tour when Metallica headlined.....I thought I was too old then at 30.

Just scored Green Day 14th row for PNC
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#109 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:53 AM

The mighty LIGHTNING BOLT tomorrow for free in Brooklyn, first time seeing them since the first album came out. That was a LONG time ago now that I think of it.

Later that night UNIVERSAL ORDER OF ARMAGEDDON one of the best hardcore bands of the 90s are playing what looks like a one off show. UOA and Hammerhead reunions in the span of a few months? That must mean my generations music is finally irrelevant enough to cash in on a new group of kids.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#110 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

fvck me, the RAIN OR SHINE Modest Mouse Concert at Williamsburg Waterfront got canceled mid-show because of lightning, which subsided in a few minutes. Saw 4 songs, and of course Ticketmaster won't give me my money back. fvck THAT.

#111 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

have the American Carnage Tour (Slayer/Megadeth/Testament) coming up @ IZOD on Aug 12th \m/

Substitute Anthrax for Testament and I'll be seeing them in Scranton, Pa., in October.

Also might see Overkill in Sayreville in September.

#112 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

Off to see Cancer Bats in october, Then some huge tour with Parkway Drive and Bleeding Through and comeback kid and a few other bands, and the DevilDriver and 36 Crazy Fists co headline as well in November.

Should be Awesome!!!

All the festivals over here were awfull this year.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#113 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

Off to see Cancer Bats in october, Then some huge tour with Parkway Drive and Bleeding Through and comeback kid and a few other bands, and the DevilDriver and 36 Crazy Fists co headline as well in November.

Should be Awesome!!!

All the festivals over here were awfull this year.

Cancer Bats do a spectacular cover of Agenda Suicide by The Faint. Don't know anything else by them, just felt the need to mention that. :lol:

#114 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

On the train home from The Flaming Lips show at Terminal 5. That was friggin' incredible.

#115 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

Clutch, October 8 at Convention Hall in Asbury.

That's an unusually large venue for them, but I guess they learned that an overstuffed Starland is no fun. Thank God.

The only other show I've ever seen at Convention Hall was Green Day with The Living End. Friggin awesome show. Looking forward to this one as well.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#116 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

Clutch, October 8 at Convention Hall in Asbury.

That's an unusually large venue for them, but I guess they learned that an overstuffed Starland is no fun. Thank God.

The only other show I've ever seen at Convention Hall was Green Day with The Living End. Friggin awesome show. Looking forward to this one as well.

I would love to see The Living End sometime, they seem like they'd be fun as hell in a live setting.

Next up for me is Spiritualized at Radio City Music Hall (second show that I won tickets for, first being Flaming Lips). I know very little about the band, but they're playing their first album beginning to end with a full orchestra and choir, so it should be interesting.

Then it's Lollapalooza next week. Then my summer concert schedule pretty much comes to a close.

(Oh, and it probably doesn't count as a concert per se, but now I'm apparently seeing Kevin Smith in Red Bank on Monday too.)

#117 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

If anyone's interested, they're doing a $10 ticket sale at Live Nation today for PNC Arts Center (and Jones Beach)...good number of shows on the list, I just bought a pair for Stone Temple Pilots for $20 total (no fees or anything - amazing, really!).

Just thought some of y'all might like to know.

Concert list

Doesn't look like everything on the list is part of the deal (Green Day and Rush both appear to not count), but a good chunk should be part of it.

#118 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Much like last, I wsas also at Terminal 5 this week to see the Smashing Pumpkins and while the show was pretty good, Terminal 5 is a miserable venue! Over packed, no chance of seeing anything unless you brave the pit and chock full of Spin and AMEX ads and commercials...yes, an AMEX commerical before Kill Hannah and a SPIN commercial before the Pumpkins. While I know that's more the promoter than the venue, Terminal 5 is still not a good place to see a show, especially compared to the Bowery Ballroom or even the Wellmont in Montclair. Add to the fact it's 50 miles from a bleedin' subway, and you have a whole heaping of fail. Just needed to vent!
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#119 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

If anyone's interested, they're doing a $10 ticket sale at Live Nation today for PNC Arts Center (and Jones Beach)...good number of shows on the list, I just bought a pair for Stone Temple Pilots for $20 total (no fees or anything - amazing, really!).

Dammit, Dammit! Now I really wish I could go to see STP there, but I'm tied up already that night. Shoot!
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#120 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

Much like last, I wsas also at Terminal 5 this week to see the Smashing Pumpkins and while the show was pretty good, Terminal 5 is a miserable venue! Over packed, no chance of seeing anything unless you brave the pit and chock full of Spin and AMEX ads and commercials...yes, an AMEX commerical before Kill Hannah and a SPIN commercial before the Pumpkins. While I know that's more the promoter than the venue, Terminal 5 is still not a good place to see a show, especially compared to the Bowery Ballroom or even the Wellmont in Montclair. Add to the fact it's 50 miles from a bleedin' subway, and you have a whole heaping of fail. Just needed to vent!

The Spin/Amex ads aren't the norm, that's for the Spin 25th anniversary thing that these concerts are a part of.

Beyond that, I'm with ya. I don't hate Terminal 5, but the location is awful. Also, I don't know if they do this every show, but last night they were funneling everybody out through one exit, past the merch both. It was extremely hot and uncomfortable, and probably dangerous, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users