Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

and there it is... it's over.. no Kovalchuk for us :giggle:

Glad you like my avatar ATGNWT!

EDIT: sammied :rant: - this was in response to Zero's 2.3 info.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 June 2010 - 10:19 AM.

I'm here for the party

#162 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

2.3 percent claims the devils are working with kovi on a legitimate scheme to keep him here.

Honestly, I thought watching Kovy was fun last year, but did not felt he contributed too much to the team other than help increase attendance. This situation with Kovy is actually a win-win for the devils. If the Devils manage to sign him for an amount that is will not cripple the team, then we got a 50-goal scorer. If we lose him, then we have some salary free to help plug the holes in our defense and at center. I think the 2nd situation would be preferable for the team's on-ice performance. The only way Lou can screw this up is if we overpay for him.

#163 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Doesnt really say much, just talking about how many teams would love to add Kovalchuk. and how he would make any team into a cup contender.

http://msn.foxsports...ovalchuk-060710

Even St. Petersburg of Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League is rumored to have offered a two-year deal worth more than $10 million per season.

Kovalchuk reportedly intends to treat this situation professionally and consider all his options. He’ll examine the caliber of the teams, weigh the different offers plus take into account which city would best suit his family.

It’s anticipated the bulk of the free-agent offers could come from Western Conference clubs, but one Eastern team might be a good fit for Kovalchuk: the Toronto Maple Leafs.

New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#164 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Doesnt really say much, just talking about how many teams would love to add Kovalchuk. and how he would make any team into a cup contender.

http://msn.foxsports...ovalchuk-060710

Is he kidding???? Toronto?? Burke is trying to change the culture in Toronto, Kovalchuk is nowhere near the type of player Burke would want.

Western teams? LA has a powerhouse of young talent in they need to sign and Kovalchuk doesn't fit what they are building.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#165 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Western teams? LA has a powerhouse of young talent in they need to sign and Kovalchuk doesn't fit what they are building.

What about Phoenix? lots of cap space... and Kovy would be a great player to get people in seats out there to help save the franchise. Plus the coyotes have a decent team and played well for most of last season....

Posted Image

#166 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

manta -- you're as bad as LD with Brodeur! Relax even!! No amount of ranting on your part will rid the devils of Kovalchuk if Lou wants him to stay. The right won to say "whew! Glad I called THAT one" if he goes will be hollow as well - because those who like him will just say Lou was too cheap and won't assign it to sh!tty play on Kovalchuk's part.

We get how it is you think he plays, and I, for one, respectfully disagree.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 07 June 2010 - 02:37 PM.

I'm here for the party

#167 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

What about Phoenix? lots of cap space... and Kovy would be a great player to get people in seats out there to help save the franchise. Plus the coyotes have a decent team and played well for most of last season....

my darkhorse prediction is the Islanders

can offer a ton of money and fans would love a line of kovy/tavares
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#168 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

The Islanders!?!??!?! THE ISLANDERS!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahah - you're super funny.

#169 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

The problem with Phoenix is the arena is in the middle of nowhere. They are losing money regardless. They are not going to lose more by signing Kovalchuk.

The Islanders!?!??!?! THE ISLANDERS!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahah - you're super funny.

I would agree. They have a crappy arena, on the verge of moving and not even close to being a playoff team.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#170 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

manta -- you're as bad as LD with Brodeur! Relax even!! No amount of ranting on your part will rid the devils of Kovalchuk if Lou wants him to stay. The right won to say "whew! Glad I called THAT one" if he goes will be hollow as well - because those who like him will just say Lou was too cheap and won't assign it to sh!tty play on Kovalchuk's part.

We get how it is you think he plays, and I, for one, respectfully disagree.

That's fine, but I am not sure where I said anything about the Devils or Lou in talking about Toronto or the Kings.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#171 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

my darkhorse prediction is the Islanders

can offer a ton of money and fans would love a line of kovy/tavares

yeah, i just cannot see this as at all possible - i mean WHY would he do this? just stay in atlanta - they're giving you more than the islanders would and you're actually closer to getting somewhere than with the islanders.

it's got to be a decent team that will pay him at least 7.75MM for 6-8 years.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#172 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

Here is another article about KHL offering a contract to Kovalchuk..... just more speculation but.....
http://www.cbc.ca/sp...alchuk-khl.html

Reports say Ilya Kovalchuk will be offered a whopping contract to join SKA St. Petersburg of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) next season.

Sport-Express, a Russian newspaper, reported that the team plans to make the New Jersey Devils left winger an offer worth $42 million US over three years. The reports have not be verified.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sp...l#ixzz0qCWIGykQ

Posted Image

#173 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

yeah, i just cannot see this as at all possible - i mean WHY would he do this? just stay in atlanta - they're giving you more than the islanders would and you're actually closer to getting somewhere than with the islanders.

it's got to be a decent team that will pay him at least 7.75MM for 6-8 years.

Atlanta has absolutely nothing going for it. No one has ever wanted to stay there. The Islanders have NY attached to the name, which automatically makes it a much more desirable location than Atlanta.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#174 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

I want to know if Lou has a plan B. I mean I know he does I just want to know what it is.

Obviously they're looking for a high profile player and they're willing to spend some money.

So do they try to trade for Malkin?

Go for Marleau?

Trade for another high profile player?

My guess is Kovy walks and they re-sign Martin and that's all they do. And they hire a defensive minded coach. But that's just the pessimism of a long time Devils fan talking there.

#175 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

Atlanta has absolutely nothing going for it. No one has ever wanted to stay there. The Islanders have NY attached to the name, which automatically makes it a much more desirable location than Atlanta.

i know you won't be relieved of this absurd notion, and that it's impossible to prove a negative, but: the islanders will not sign ilya kovalchuk. yes, the islanders have NY attached to the name, but what about when they have KC or LV or WPG attached to the name?

Edited by Triumph, 07 June 2010 - 03:39 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#176 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Unless you're a complete idiot (which Kovalchuk is not, and even if he were, his agent is not), you know that the New York referred to in New York Islanders is not the New York referred to in New York Rangers. No one's getting conned into going there because they see the glitz and glamor associated with NYC.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#177 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Let's just give Kovy the truckload of money and make sure he is in Newark long term!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#178 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

Let's just give Kovy the truckload of money and make sure he is in Newark long term!

You mean like 42 million over 3 years?
Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#179 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

Unless you're a complete idiot (which Kovalchuk is not, and even if he were, his agent is not), you know that the New York referred to in New York Islanders is not the New York referred to in New York Rangers. No one's getting conned into going there because they see the glitz and glamor associated with NYC.

It's not glitz/glamor so much as a place where hockey isn't a complete backwater, like Atlanta. And if someone can convince him that the Islanders will be a good team, the media attention, to the extent that's important, will be there.

i know you won't be relieved of this absurd notion, and that it's impossible to prove a negative, but: the islanders will not sign ilya kovalchuk. yes, the islanders have NY attached to the name, but what about when they have KC or LV or WPG attached to the name?

My assumption of course is that an Islanders move is a remote possibility, which, for all of the talk, I think it is.
Posted Image

#180 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

You mean like 42 million over 3 years?

If he goes to the KHL I will be shocked...it is a joker league...Ilya is a competitor...we will see, I am 99% sure he will be in the NHL somewhere; hopefully with the NEW JERSEY DEVILS.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users