84 replies to this topic

#61 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Oh shut the fvck up already with your nonsense. You may become the first person I will have ever put on ignore here.

I'm devastated.

#62 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

Posted Image

Edited by ben00rs, 17 June 2010 - 11:50 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#63 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:24 AM

Thoughts

1. This is only a good trade for Montreal if they can resign Carey Price for pretty cheap.

2. Halak was probably going to be overpaid this offseason as an RFA, but they may have been able to get him back for around 2 million dollars. I think that's reasonable. I think they made this trade because they saw Huet's contract (given under much different circumstances) and figured there was no way they could get Halak back at a reasonable price given his postseason run. I am not so sure thats the case. I think if Price has more trade value, retaining Halak at around 2 mill and trading Price for young cheap talent may have been a better move.

3. I don't know enough about the prospects beyond draft position and stats but it looks like a pretty even trade. St. Louis needs a goalie and neither of the guys they gave up were vital cogs, regardless they look like surefire NHLers and contributors.

4. I admire Montreal for not giving into the fans and media desires and doing what they think is best for the organization, but they may have been too bold for their own good. Price in Montreal has not been the best of fits. Giving him a big contract now after dumping Halak is just asking for fans to turn on the team as soon as things start getting shaky.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#64 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

I like the idea of trading Halak. Having said that...this was a complete botch job by Gauthier. This was a rushed deal and straight out of the Mike O'Connell school of GMing. Apparently, many GMs had no idea Halak was on the market and were furious since they would have offered more.

If the Habs leak a potential deal to the press, you probably have 5 GMs calling with some good offers.

Edited by devilsrule33, 18 June 2010 - 10:27 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#65 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

I like the idea of trading Halak. Having said that...this was a complete botched job by Gauthier. This was a rushed deal and straight out of the Mike O'Connell school of GMing. Apparently, many GMs had no idea Halak was on the market and were furious since they would have offered more.

If the Habs leak a potential deal to the press, you probably have 5 GMs calling with some good offers.

i don't believe that. there aren't even 5 teams that need a starting goaltender. i'm also not convinced those GMs would've offered more. eller is cost-controlled. the flyers can't afford to offer anyone cost-controlled. the lightning don't have anyone cost-controlled. san jose would have a hard time offering anyone cost-controlled.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#66 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

I like the idea of trading Halak. Having said that...this was a complete botch job by Gauthier. This was a rushed deal and straight out of the Mike O'Connell school of GMing. Apparently, many GMs had no idea Halak was on the market and were furious since they would have offered more.

Probably true. Tampa, Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, Ottawa, possibly Washington and San Jose easily could have been bidders. Montreal could have gotten some salary cap dump benefits out of some of these trading partners.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#67 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Wow. This is one of those make or break moves. Next season shall judge.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#68 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

This is one of those make or break moves. Next season shall judge.

I don't buy that. Montreal will be the same team.

#69 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:05 AM

I don't buy that. Montreal will be the same team.

That would mean the dude calling the shots keeps his job. I didn't mean make or break like the team will get so much better, I meant the dude who pulled this trade will either be the goat when Halak kicks ass/his replacement blows or called a genius with Halaks' bad performance/his replacements' good performance.

and btw I really hope they are not the same! My goodness! ECF!?!? really?!??!?

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#70 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:32 AM

That would mean the dude calling the shots keeps his job. I didn't mean make or break like the team will get so much better, I meant the dude who pulled this trade will either be the goat when Halak kicks ass/his replacement blows or called a genius with Halaks' bad performance/his replacements' good performance.

and btw I really hope they are not the same! My goodness! ECF!?!? really?!??!?

I don't know if they'll get to the ECF again, but they'll certainly go into next season as a team with a great defense that closes on pucks and an offense that struggles but finds a way to score important ones. However, no matter what, you won't see the MTL goalie (probably Price) being the game changer for them and neither was Halak during the season. (and IMO during the playoffs too)

#71 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

I don't know if they'll get to the ECF again, but they'll certainly go into next season as a team with a great defense that closes on pucks and an offense that struggles but finds a way to score important ones. However, no matter what, you won't see the MTL goalie (probably Price) being the game changer for them and neither was Halak during the season. (and IMO during the playoffs too)

In case you missed it Halak turned the team around and got them INTO the playoffs and became their playoff MVP.
Price 13-20 as a starter last year, will basically allow them to draft in the top 10 in the 2011 draft.

They will NOT be the same "team".
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#72 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

In case you missed it Halak turned the team around and got them INTO the playoffs and became their playoff MVP.
Price 13-20 as a starter last year, will basically allow them to draft in the top 10 in the 2011 draft.

They will NOT be the same "team".

Nope didn't miss it. Halak played extremely well towards the end of the season and for many games in the playoffs. But it was the team around him that got them deep, they were terrfic. Don't let emotions cloud your judgment, it's fun to pretend Halak was divinly inspired in the playoffs but the truth is his defense was incredible. So was Halak great in the playoffs? Yea, for the most part. Will Halak be amazing next season? I'd say 20 percent chance. He will be good. That's it. If the Blues play well around him, they will go far.

#73 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

Nope didn't miss it. Halak played extremely well towards the end of the season and for many games in the playoffs. But it was the team around him that got them deep, they were terrfic. Don't let emotions cloud your judgment, it's fun to pretend Halak was divinly inspired in the playoffs but the truth is his defense was incredible. So was Halak great in the playoffs? Yea, for the most part. Will Halak be amazing next season? I'd say 20 percent chance. He will be good. That's it. If the Blues play well around him, they will go far.

Oh I see, it was a magic wand that all of sudden made Montreal's mediocre defense into an "incredible" one. The Habs got crushed every game in the playoffs statistically. I was Halak who made the big saves, inspite of his defense.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#74 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

At least now we can dismiss Marty for Price trade.
Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#75 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

I like the fact that the fans demonstrated their displeasure to the management of the Canadians regarding the Canadians move of Halak. I am sure the team made an assessment and decided he should go what I don't understand is how little they got for him.

#76 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Montreal was outplayed in a bunch of games against Pittsburgh and Washington. Halak was a big difference, making over 40 saves a few times, and over 50 at least once. Price hasn't been able to show he can handle that pressure yet.

That being said, I think moving Halak while he was at such a high value was a smart move, but I'm shocked they didn't get just a little more for him.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#77 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

I think the biggest gamble that is being taken here is the Habs on Price in the short-term.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#78 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

Oh I see, it was a magic wand that all of sudden made Montreal's mediocre defense into an "incredible" one. The Habs got crushed every game in the playoffs statistically. I was Halak who made the big saves, inspite of his defense.

Key line: "statistically." Statistics don't tell the whole story, you should know that. Anyone who knows anythings about hockey knows the importance of the goalie has deteriorated in the last couple years and anyone who watched the Habs in the playoffs know that they played well AS A TEAM. MTL allowed the shots they wanted to allow but Halak was very good. If you want to talk about statistics, why don't you compare how many shots the MTL players blocked. One game they had 41 blocked shots and I'm not even sure that was their most.

Montreal was outplayed in a bunch of games against Pittsburgh and Washington. Halak was a big difference, making over 40 saves a few times, and over 50 at least once. Price hasn't been able to show he can handle that pressure yet.

That being said, I think moving Halak while he was at such a high value was a smart move, but I'm shocked they didn't get just a little more for him.

This is fair.

Edited by ben00rs, 19 June 2010 - 06:12 PM.

#79 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

... you won't see the MTL goalie (probably Price) being the game changer for them and neither was Halak during the season. (and IMO during the playoffs too)

No, Halak was extremely strong for the Habs and if he were not playing out of his mind, they would've been out early. He didn't have two bad games in a row til Philthy. He made the pourous Hab D look ok by making 40 saves over and over.

At least now we can dismiss Marty for Price trade.

No, actually, now Montreal NEEDS a Brody!! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#80 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:11 AM

No, Halak was extremely strong for the Habs and if he were not playing out of his mind, they would've been out early. He didn't have two bad games in a row til Philthy. He made the pourous Hab D look ok by making 40 saves over and over.

No, actually, now Montreal NEEDS a Brody!! Posted Image

I'm sorry but the MTL defense was terrific. It took until the Penguin series for everyone to catch on but by the end of the Caps series, the announcers were gushing over how well the MTL defense was playing. Halak was really good and made a lot of saves. The Montreal D carried that team. Saying Halak was the reason they weren't out early is too simple an analysis of the team. Don't watch the game from the scoresheets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users