300 replies to this topic

#241 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

An aberration that has happened 3 times in a row? We do well early on and then tank in the new year. This time instead of tanking in March, we got a head start and did it in January.

A Devil team going .500 from January on is the aberration.

Although the previous years we got inexplicably bounced in the first round, this year was the ONLY year that we just really sucked going into the playoffs.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#242 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

Funny, I have been saying that here repeatedly, but a handful of people on this board basically want to tar and feather me for it.

No, you act like this organization is the Thrashers or Islanders.

Sure, the Devils don't have the mystique and prestige they once did. I agree with you 100% on that. But it also is not as bad as some people think it to be. This team is in for a lot of changes the next few years. Some big contracts and familiar faces are gonna be gone. I'm pissed about the last few playoffs, but I was pissed about 96, 97, 98, 99, and 02.

I guess I'm just OK seeing how this plays out till Lou and Marty leave in a couple of seasons.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#243 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

An important trait a captain needs to have is the ability to recognize when pursuing what's best for oneself is not what is best for the team.

+1
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#244 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Although the previous years we got inexplicably bounced in the first round, this year was the ONLY year that we just really sucked going into the playoffs.

But in the previous 2 years, the Devils started to tank in March leading up to the playoffs. That is when you read a a lot of threads on here saying that it will be like 2000 where we only won 4 out of the last 16 games. Problem is that it happened once, and now this is happening 3 times in a row.

#245 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

No, you act like this organization is the Thrashers or Islanders.

Sure, the Devils don't have the mystique and prestige they once did. I agree with you 100% on that. But it also is not as bad as some people think it to be. This team is in for a lot of changes the next few years. Some big contracts and familiar faces are gonna be gone. I'm pissed about the last few playoffs, but I was pissed about 96, 97, 98, 99, and 02.

I guess I'm just OK seeing how this plays out till Lou and Marty leave in a couple of seasons.

I am saying that this organization has been less than stellar, but I never said it was like the Islanders or Atlanta. The difference between now and in those years like from 96 to 2000 is that we had a good foundation in place, we just needed a few more pieces or experience. I think we are worse off than that, but I just hope those prospects we have work out, as they are not a guaranteed thing, but others on this board are acting like it.

#246 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

I don't know, man. I mean who had a lot of hope and confidence in 2008 against the Rangers? We had only beaten them once that year, and it was a shootout on the last game of the season.

Same for 2009... the Devils were in a horrible slump towards the end of that season. There was a 6 game losing streak at the end of March.

I mean, I agree with you on the other point, but they've been weak going into the playoffs since 06 or 07.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#247 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

I don't know, man. I mean who had a lot of hope and confidence in 2008 against the Rangers? We had only beaten them once that year, and it was a shootout on the last game of the season.

Same for 2009... the Devils were in a horrible slump towards the end of that season. There was a 6 game losing streak at the end of March.

I mean, I agree with you on the other point, but they've been weak going into the playoffs since 06 or 07.

See, something we agree with. But if I said it here.....

#248 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

For me, March is a time to rest some players and get new acquisitions indoctrinated into the system before the playoffs start. While your doing this other teams that have gutted their lineups at the deadline are usually playing at a "nothing to lose" type of game for jobs the next year. So I don't usually place much stock in the last month of the season, especially after we clinch the Conference or Division.

Once the playoffs start all bets are off and anything can happen. This year was different they didn't play as a team at all once the calendar hit 2010.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#249 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

I am saying that this organization has been less than stellar, but I never said it was like the Islanders or Atlanta. The difference between now and in those years like from 96 to 2000 is that we had a good foundation in place, we just needed a few more pieces or experience. I think we are worse off than that, but I just hope those prospects we have work out, as they are not a guaranteed thing, but others on this board are acting like it.

True, we don't have a can't-miss prospect. Our top prospects include Tedenby, Josefsen, Henrique, Palmieri, Zharkov, Vasyunov, Urbom, Gelinas, Taormina, Corrente, Burlon, Eckford, and Frazee. I'd say at least 5 of them contribute to this team in the next 2 - 3 years, some as soon as next year. They can possibly be part of that foundation.

The way I look at it, we didn't know what we were gonna get from Elias, White, Pandolfo, Madden, Sykora, etc. There's always that chance that we can be surprised.

#250 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

True, we don't have a can't-miss prospect. Our top prospects include Tedenby, Josefsen, Henrique, Palmieri, Zharkov, Vasyunov, Urbom, Gelinas, Taormina, Corrente, Burlon, Eckford, and Frazee. I'd say at least 5 of them contribute to this team in the next 2 - 3 years, some as soon as next year. They can possibly be part of that foundation.

The way I look at it, we didn't know what we were gonna get from Elias, White, Pandolfo, Madden, Sykora, etc. There's always that chance that we can be surprised.

The way I see it, after the first 3 names you posted that we have in the pipeline, the "quality" dips quite a bit dramatically. Zharkov did OK last year, but he could not score a goal for his life.

#251 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

The way I see it, after the first 3 names you posted that we have in the pipeline, the "quality" dips quite a bit dramatically. Zharkov did OK last year, but he could not score a goal for his life.

Well, yeah, but every prospect isn't going to be a top line player. The Devils last few first rounders have been Josefsen, Tedenby, Corrente, Bergfors, Zajac, and Parise. I don't think it's realistic to expect a 3rd round pick to become a top 3 forward.

See, something we agree with. But if I said it here.....

C'mon man, I always admit when I agree with something. We have similar views on Colin White, for example. :giggle:

#252 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

Well, yeah, but every prospect isn't going to be a top line player. The Devils last few first rounders have been Josefsen, Tedenby, Corrente, Bergfors, Zajac, and Parise. I don't think it's realistic to expect a 3rd round pick to become a top 3 forward.

C'mon man, I always admit when I agree with something. We have similar views on Colin White, for example. :giggle:

True lol but what I meant is that some of the things I say I get attacked on and if someone else on here said the same thing, they would not get attacked.

#253 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

Get rid of Langs and Rolston.

Let Martin walk.

Sign Kovy and Kaberle.

this would be fantastic!:D
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#254 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

this would be fantastic!:D

Yes, Devil fans would get to save money by not having to buy playoff tickets!!!

I bet Rangers fans would feel like Lou was changing his style to that of Glen Sather.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#255 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

No mater what happens nothing changes. Same recycling of players...expect the same freakin' results! Big center who is declining and hasn't placed his big body on the ice more than 65 times in two seasons.

How can they keep pulling the same crap every year with the recycling??!!

believe-3devils.jpg

#256 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

Because the Devils are environmentally friendly.

BA-ZING! :rimshot:

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 22 June 2010 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#257 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

No mater what happens nothing changes. Same recycling of players...expect the same freakin' results! Big center who is declining and hasn't placed his big body on the ice more than 65 times in two seasons.

geez i don't know how they'll live without a player who had negative value last year and a draft pick that won't be made for another year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#258 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Go Greene!!

#259 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

This one is actualy pretty good! :rofl:

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#260 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Well done. :lol:

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users