300 replies to this topic

#261 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

But in the previous 2 years, the Devils started to tank in March leading up to the playoffs. That is when you read a a lot of threads on here saying that it will be like 2000 where we only won 4 out of the last 16 games. Problem is that it happened once, and now this is happening 3 times in a row.

Slightly unrelated, but having to do with aberrations.

I think this study is done a lot for people going into psych research. You get 2 groups of people together, one group flips a coin like 1000 times and records heads vs tails while the other group pretends to flip a coin and records 1000 heads or tails outcomes, trying to make it look real. The psych people can almost always tell who was real and who was false because the false people don't put enough "unusual" streaks of heads or tails coming up like 10 or 12 times in a row.

It just shows that we're, as humans, too quick to want things to come back to their natural statistical norm at times. So even if the last 3 times there was only a 5% chance the Devils lose, them losing all 3 still wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen. And we all know the Devils, and most favored teams, winning in the playoffs is more like a 50-60% chance at best with the current league parity. So it's certainly not unusual for a team to come up on the bad side 3 times in a row, even if they were the favorite and statistical choice all 3 times.

Edit: This was more of an excuse to talk about the coin flip study cause I think it's interesting.

Edited by Devils731, 22 June 2010 - 03:34 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#262 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Because the Devils are environmentally friendly.

BA-ZING! :rimshot:

Good one DIG!
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#263 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

Because the Devils are environmentally friendly.

BA-ZING! :rimshot:

:lol:

geez i don't know how they'll live without a player who had negative value last year and a draft pick that won't be made for another year.

geez....i don't know how they'll live with $4.5M more....for 60-70 games of a declining 30-something player

believe-3devils.jpg

#264 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

:lol:

geez....i don't know how they'll live with $4.5M more....for 60-70 games of a declining 30-something player

He's also a big second line center who can put up 60 points. Last I checked, everyone was whining that we didn't have that.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#265 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

He's also a big second line center who can put up 60 points. Last I checked, everyone was whining that we didn't have that.

Instead of whiner, I think the word you're looking for is hater. No matter what the Devils do, some fans won't be happy. You have some passionate fans like Manta, who actually would be happy if the Devils did what they believe is right for the team. And then you have the posters who just are clueless as to what they are talking about. We gave up relatively little and filled a big void on our team. How can you not be happy with that if you are someone who believed this team needed a center (which is pretty much everyone).

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#266 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

Instead of whiner, I think the word you're looking for is hater. No matter what the Devils do, some fans won't be happy. You have some passionate fans like Manta, who actually would be happy if the Devils did what they believe is right for the team. And then you have the posters who just are clueless as to what they are talking about. We gave up relatively little and filled a big void on our team. How can you not be happy with that if you are someone who believed this team needed a center (which is pretty much everyone).

I don't know. I thought it was a good move. Fills a hole, gives Josefsen and Henrique a year to develop, and he's off the books in a year. I don't see the problem.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#267 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

I don't know. I thought it was a good move. Fills a hole, gives Josefsen and Henrique a year to develop, and he's off the books in a year. I don't see the problem.

Exactly. If you want to get a center for next year without giving up much, we couldn't have done better than Arnott.

#268 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

Exactly. If you want to get a center for next year without giving up much, we couldn't have done better than Arnott.

I wasn't too crazy about Halischuk and this is only for 1 year, so I think this trade was pretty good. Finally addressed a need we have had for the past few years.

#269 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

I wasn't too crazy about Halischuk and this is only for 1 year, so I think this trade was pretty good. Finally addressed a need we have had for the past few years.

Yeah, I liked Halischuk, but it was clear that Tedenby was coming in to play soon, plus I think in the Devils eyes, Palmieri and Zharkov were passing Halischuk on the depth chart. Now, I'd like to see Lou address the defense so maybe we can get outta the first damned round.

#270 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, I liked Halischuk, but it was clear that Tedenby was coming in to play soon, plus I think in the Devils eyes, Palmieri and Zharkov were passing Halischuk on the depth chart. Now, I'd like to see Lou address the defense so maybe we can get outta the first damned round.

Halischuk was not going anywhere in the Devils organization. Lou moved him because he was useless to us.

#271 Toaster13

Toaster13

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Welcome back Arnott! I like that we added a center with good size to our roster. Hopefully him and Elias get hot in the season.
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."

#272 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,278 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Welcome back Arnott! I like that we added a center with good size to our roster. Hopefully him and Elias get hot in the season.

I like Patrik's text to him about being in shape.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#273 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

60 points twice in 17 years. Played less than 70 games 11 times. I'm whining because we didn't get a 60 point center IMO, we got a 60 game player (in paper, before the season starts....)

We gave up cap space. What I hate is people who judge others solely because they don't agree with you...people like yourself.

I have arguments for what I say. When I come out saying I hate something just because, then you can talk.

Edited by cubanjd305, 23 June 2010 - 03:02 PM.

believe-3devils.jpg

#274 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,481 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

cap space is academic. if arnott were a free agent, he would arguably be the 2nd best center available on the market. it's marleau, then koivu and jokinen.

Edited by Triumph, 23 June 2010 - 03:29 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#275 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

cap space is academic. if arnott were a free agent, he would arguably be the 2nd best center available on the market. it's marleau, then koivu and jokinen.

Exactly. And we basically got him as a free agent considering we didn't give up anything important.

#276 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yes, Devil fans would get to save money by not having to buy playoff tickets!!!

I bet Rangers fans would feel like Lou was changing his style to that of Glen Sather.

i know you can't stand the thought of kovalchuck on the devils...know he's probably going to russia for a gazillion rubles...still if Lou can give Rolston the contract he got...there could be argument that he's transforming, insidiously, into the same mold as sather.
it will be interesting to see what happens to ilya regardless.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#277 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

I'm OK with the Arnott signing because it might be the best we can do (an opinion expressed by others). I don't love it, but it appears to be an upgrade.

I think if fans reduce their expectations for next year, they might be OK with the deal, too. It's not a championship piece, most likely, and I think that's the source of many people's displeasure. But that's just the reality. We're probably not a contender.

#278 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

We should remember and refer back to this thread when Arnott has 14 goals or less in january and/or is battling an injury half way through season, and fans will want him out of town just like they want Rolston out of town! lol
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#279 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

We should remember and refer back to this thread when Arnott has 14 goals or less in january and/or is battling an injury half way through season, and fans will want him out of town just like they want Rolston out of town! lol

You're in charge of bumping it. And that scenario looks pretty plausible.

#280 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

You're in charge of bumping it. And that scenario looks pretty plausible.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users