300 replies to this topic

#21 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

Arnott had a NMC clause too. Just another player who hates playing for Lou and the Devils so much that he chose to do it again. :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#22 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

I've done nothing all day except sit, bored out of my mind, on this site and Facebook. I go take a half-hour nap and come back to this?

I'm highly confused.

Great to see we got a legit center. Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner and Elias/Arnott/Zubrus is a pretty nice 1A/1B top line combo. But I'm guessing it's gonna be nearly impossible to keep both Kovy and Martin now. Which sucks noodles.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#23 Patches O'Houlihan

Patches O'Houlihan

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Arnott really isn't very good at all anymore. Injuries are a major issue for him, he's breaking down, he's really slow now, he's below average on face-offs. With his cap hit, this is just not a good move, regardless of what they gave up for him.
"I won't put big money into defenders, guys who only defend. There are guys out there who make millions of dollars that strictly defend. We don't believe doing that gives you bang for your buck."
- Ken Holland

#24 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Well I bought a blank jersey and was looking to get it customized for next season with this summer's hot new player on the team.. This could be it
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Huge move for new jersey. Big body, faceoff presence, goal scorer and Elias's center. That's the end of Kovalchuk in New Jersey.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#26 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

Arnott really isn't very good at all anymore. Injuries are a major issue for him, he's breaking down, he's really slow now, he's below average on face-offs. With his cap hit, this is just not a good move, regardless of what they gave up for him.

1 year with a much better free agent class next year defensively speaking

i'm all for giving the kids a shot though.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#27 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

hazaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! We haven't had two good centers since Gomez left, and now we have Zajac and Arnott. Plus, all old Arnott jerseys are now valid once more! :lol:

One can only hope that this means that the great Andrew Peters experiment is officially closed.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#28 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Saw that I had a text from ESPN...was expecting an update on the Mets game and then saw this! That came out of nowhere.
Posted Image Posted Image

#29 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Wow.

Get Martin now and another top 4.
Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#30 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

he's not really that far in decline. he had a bad shooting year last year. his stats just normally look crappy because you can only assuredly book him for 60 games a season. anything over is a bonus. statistically, he won't do worse than Zubrus would do. he would do worse than what Elias would likely do, but Elias is so fvcking bad at C at everything else. so, they both get freed up to play wing, and Zubrus looked encouraging as a top 6 wing when given something to play with.

someone else up front has to be traded and I expect them to be. it won't be Rolston, because if we're doing this, taking poison pills for poison pills isn't the way to get it done. it has to be Langenbrunner to get something back.

I don't see how this keeps them from signing Martin, but I'm not sure that they're going to sign him anyway. Kovalchuk is probably gone unless they dump Rolston, but he was gone anyway.

#31 American_Psycho

American_Psycho

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Quote from TG article:

Lamoriello said the trade will not have any impact on decisions to re-sign potential unrestricted free agents such as defenseman Paul Martin and left wing Ilya Kovalchuk.

“It doesn’t affect that,” he said. “We haven’t won in the last couple of years, so there will be changes and it has to make the team better.”

#32 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Atleast we're getting younger so we'll have some energy come playoff time. *slaps head*
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#33 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Quote from TG article:

Lamoriello said the trade will not have any impact on decisions to re-sign potential unrestricted free agents such as defenseman Paul Martin and left wing Ilya Kovalchuk.

“It doesn’t affect that,” he said. “We haven’t won in the last couple of years, so there will be changes and it has to make the team better.”

On that note, I still think Lou will feel he needs to shake up the roster by trading guys who were on last years team, not just acquire new guys.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#34 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

The best part of this deal is that he only has one year left on his contract. He may take a discount next year in a lesser role. Halischuk just got passed by too many right wingers. There were too many prospects in the organization at the Albany level.

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner
Elias - Arnott - Zharkov
Rolston - Zubrus - Clarkson

Maybe Rolston straight up for Finger, then we send Finger down to the AHL. Cap hit gone.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 19 June 2010 - 02:58 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#35 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

Quick someone go check and see if Sykora is available.

#36 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Nobody wants him, so he is.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#37 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

That's good news. I don't like the MacLean signing and I'm not sold on the Arnott trade, but I did like the Kovy trade and I'm glad something's happening around this team. I mean, realistically speaking: we are a playoff team every year, so a lot of things are right. Revolution isn't necessary, but some major tweaks are. This is an interesting offseason for sure. :e-drama: Wonder if we should put any stock in the Kaberle rumours (probably not, as they came from Neverson).

Edited by Revan, 19 June 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#38 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Well another retread move. Who's next Sykora? What's Randy McKay up to? Might as well sign Madden too. Need a backup goalie? Vanbiesbrouck!

I know this team needed another Center and Zajac and Arnott as Centers isn;t the worst 1-2 punch, but Arnott's cap hit officially ends Kovalchuk's stay unless there's other moves to be made or Kovalchuk signs short term deal for less $ (unlikely). The leadership improved, and Arnott is a big body so i guess that's two good things about this. That and the nostalgia that will surely come with it.

If the overhaul is going to begin, then this better be just a start. This team just got older and slower. Got to offset that in other areas.

IMO, Lou is not done yet.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#39 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

you know he will be on july 1st.

that one, however, i dont see happening ;)

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#40 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

He's always been slow. It just gets exaggerated now because the game is fast. And he's always been broken down. I would guess he's in better shape now than he was the first time here, or he'd go the way of Jeff Friesen.

It's preferable to Elias at C. I would have liked something more "modern", but I'll wait and see what kind of game they play. If it's more half-court oriented, he'll be fine, they got by with Brendan Shanahan and I think I could outskate him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users