39 replies to this topic

#1 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

I have met and received autographs from Brodeur, Daneyko, Driver, Clarkson, Parise, Dowd, Chorske, Kasatonov, and Langenbrunner

I think the ones that impressed me the most were Driver and Daneyko as I met them at an autograph session together at a Hermanns sporting-good store. I was in middle school at the time and they actually challenged fans to a basketball hoops game they had in the store.

#2 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

I have met and received autographs from Brodeur, Daneyko, Driver, Clarkson, Parise, Dowd, Chorske, Kasatonov, and Langenbrunner

I think the ones that impressed me the most were Driver and Daneyko as I met them at an autograph session together at a Hermanns sporting-good store. I was in middle school at the time and they actually challenged fans to a basketball hoops game they had in the store.

I'm not big on autographs and such, but I did happen to meet Martin Brodeur the summer after the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. He was someone's guest at White Beeches Country Club in Haworth, and I was a waiter there at the time. So long ago.

#3 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

I have a ton of autographs. I have Parise, Brodeur, Elias, Arnott, Gionta, Madden, Gomez, Langenbrunner, Zubrus, McAmmond, Pelley, Vrana, Driver, Holik, Rolston, Mogilny, Malakhov, Chico Resch, and a few others.

Edited by parisebrandon1994, 21 June 2010 - 11:37 AM.

25smul5.png

#4 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

Too many to list since 1984, but just some coaches/players i've met that i enjoyed....Dave Lewis, Joe Cirella, Chico Resch, Kirk Muller, Claude Loiselle, Bruce Driver, Jim Schoenfeld, Larry Robinson, Troy Crowder, Brendan Shanahan, Ken Daneyko, Bernie Nicholls, Grant Marshall, Rob Skrlac, Jay Pandolfo.

List goes on of course, but those are some.

Edited by SJP20, 21 June 2010 - 11:39 AM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#5 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Too many to list since 1984 but just some....Dave Lewis, Joe Cirella, Chico Resch, Kirk Muller, Claude Loiselle, Troy Crowder, Brendan Shanahan, Ken Daneyko, Bernie Nicholls, Grant Marshall, Rob Skrlac, Jay Pandolfo...list goes on.

Just out of curiosity...were all of these guys cool? Did you meet others who weren't (you don't have to name them)?

My list is pretty short, but I've talked to Chico multiple times and he's always been nice, talked to Merlin Malinowski on the phone and he was very friendly, met Fetisov once...he was very shy. Also met Richer and he came off as stand-offish, but who knows, might have been having a bad day...I try to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, instead of instantly calling them douches like some fans will.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#6 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

Just out of curiosity...were all of these guys cool? Did you meet others who weren't (you don't have to name them)?

My list is pretty short, but I've talked to Chico multiple times and he's always been nice, talked to Merlin Malinowski on the phone and he was very friendly, met Fetisov once...he was very shy. Also met Richer and he came off as stand-offish, but who knows, might have been having a bad day...I try to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, instead of instantly calling them douches like some fans will.

From my experience, Driver was a very cool guy, and Zach is just Zach, so of course he was awesome. :D
25smul5.png

#7 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

One thing about this organization is that they have had very few guys come through here that were douches to the fans. That is something i do not think this organization gets enough credit for.

You're going to get some fans who have different experiences, of course, and that can lend to any number of things and circumstances. I'm not going on just asking for auto's, but just interaction at TC, practices, STH functions, etc. Some guys that stood out to me off the top of my head as generally moody or "catch them on the right day" was Richer, Sundstrom, Sean Burke (moody), Madden (rookie/2nd year...he had a incredibly big chip on his shoulder), Rafalski (would only personalize auto's his rookie year), Malakhov (just aloof).

Other players who were great: Claude Lemieux, Craig Wolanin, Mel Bridgman, Mark Johnson, Perry Anderson, Tom Chorske, Jim Dowd, Dave Maley, Mike Peluso, Kris Oliwa, Cam Janssen, Randy McKay, Brad Lukowich, Sergei Brylin,

As i said, there's alot more as i'm going off the top of my head at lunchtime lol. But as i said...this organization has had many players that were good to the fans over the years and it still continues on with the players on this roster today.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#8 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

Not a player but I met Doc once. I didn't even realize it was him until he talked to me. We were in DC, riding the Metro from a Caps game and I had my Brodeur jersey in my lap. He leaned over and tapped it and said "He won it for you tonight didnt he?" and I laughed and said yeah. He was the nicest guy and we got to chat for a bit before he got off. It was really nice.
Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#9 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

favorites that i met were chris terreri, jay pandolfo, and scott clemmensen (pre-starter days, back at the caa). had a 15 minute conversation with clemmensen's dad -- was one of the coolest experiences i've had.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#10 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

Not to go in the negative direction but I've always heard Elias isn't too great with fans.. Which is sad because he's my favorite player.. I've kind of avoided meeting him because I'm afraid the rumors will be true and it will end up crushing my view of him

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#11 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

Met Jeff Vanderbeek today, he wasnt very much in the talking mood because it was a Golf outing and I didnt want to bother him when he is supposed to be having a good time. He may think im a little " =p " because he asked me about my age 3 times and I just kept asking his thoughts on Arnott and etc lol

815631765.gif

#12 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

Skrlac and Marshall have always been amazingly cool guys, especially considering oftentimes people don't know who they are when they're doing community events instead of Devils-specific events.

Cam Janssen was always exactly as he appeared in the media, very funny and personable. You could see the love of playing hockey and all that comes with it.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#13 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

When I was still working at the newspaper, I worked with Jimmy Dowd over the phone to organize our coverage of his annual charity high school all star game. Out of all the high school and college ADs, coaches, players, etc. that I had to deal with, he was absolutely one of the friendliest. The thing that stood out the most to me was his enthusiasm about doing charitable work. You could really tell that it meant a lot to him to be in a position to help others.

Oh, and one time at a Fan Club dinner Doug Bodger tried really hard not to laugh at me because my stupid ass forgot you have to wind a disposable camera.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#14 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

While I like Parise as a player, I've met him in person twice at signings and didn't get a good vibe off of him. After the signings, I was not the only one there who was saying that. He was not mean or rude or anything, he just didn't seem like he was that much into it.

Greene is a really nice guy too, just a little shy as well as Zajac.

I've rarely met any Devils who have been d!cks but I have heard that Elias is a bit of a downer to meet as well as other names mentioned here who are known to be less than friendly.

#15 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

I went to the Devils Lunch last week and I met Lou and Johnny Mac!!! They were both great and classy guys.

My boy Greg and I were standing right outside the Verizon tower watching the press conference as Johnny Mac was introduced as the new head coach. As soon as the conference ended Lou signaled one of his security guards to let us in! As we walked over to the catered food table Lou yelled from across the room "Have some cookies and soda enjoy guys."(I was waiting for kool aid but I didn't see any) So as I loaded up on some Mrs. Fields cookies Lou came over to me and patted me on the back! He said I hope you guys are as excited as me and at that point I was more then happy.

About five minutes later Johnny Mac had seen that Lou was striking up a convo with us so he decided why not me too. He introduced himself and we shook hands. He joked and said why weren't you guys in school. We explained that school for us had let out a week ago and we were here for the Devils Luncheon and the press conference happened to be going on. He talked about how his kids were finishing school like us and that day was there last day of school. He also wanted to know what we decided for our college plans.

#16 BCdevil

BCdevil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Not to go in the negative direction but I've always heard Elias isn't too great with fans.. Which is sad because he's my favorite player.. I've kind of avoided meeting him because I'm afraid the rumors will be true and it will end up crushing my view of him

In my opinion, Patrik is just shy and a little embarrassed by the attention, which some people, understandably, interpret as him having a bad attitude. He is actually a really nice guy.

While I like Parise as a player, I've met him in person twice at signings and didn't get a good vibe off of him. After the signings, I was not the only one there who was saying that. He was not mean or rude or anything, he just didn't seem like he was that much into it.

Greene is a really nice guy too, just a little shy as well as Zajac.

I've rarely met any Devils who have been d!cks but I have heard that Elias is a bit of a downer to meet as well as other names mentioned here who are known to be less than friendly.

That's too bad that you didn't have a good experience because Zach is one of the friendliest, most engaging people you will ever meet. I think he really appreciates fans and enjoys interacting with them for the most part.

Sometimes it is easy to have a bad experience with a player and automatically judge their general demeanor. I did that with Jordan Leopold when he was with Colorado and was less then friendly. I met him this past season when he came with Florida as well as with Pittsburgh and he could not have been nicer. It just goes to show you that they have good and bad days too. There is only one Devil that I have ever had a bad experience with and that was Stephane Richer. I only met him once and he was less than pleasant to a 12 year old kid. Since then he has been very public about his depression and suicidal thoughts while he was in NJ so obviously it seems kinda petty to hold a grudge from 15 years ago.
Posted Image

#17 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

In my opinion, Patrik is just shy and a little embarrassed by the attention, which some people, understandably, interpret as him having a bad attitude. He is actually a really nice guy.

That's too bad that you didn't have a good experience because Zach is one of the friendliest, most engaging people you will ever meet. I think he really appreciates fans and enjoys interacting with them for the most part.

Sometimes it is easy to have a bad experience with a player and automatically judge their general demeanor. I did that with Jordan Leopold when he was with Colorado and was less then friendly. I met him this past season when he came with Florida as well as with Pittsburgh and he could not have been nicer. It just goes to show you that they have good and bad days too. There is only one Devil that I have ever had a bad experience with and that was Stephane Richer. I only met him once and he was less than pleasant to a 12 year old kid. Since then he has been very public about his depression and suicidal thoughts while he was in NJ so obviously it seems kinda petty to hold a grudge from 15 years ago.

Yeah I mean I think maybe he was just having bad days when I met him, because I heard at other times he was friendly too. Then again, who wouldn't have a bad day after meeting me? lol

#18 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

i remember last year me and my friend bumped into PL3 behind the stadium and the dialogue went something like this:

PL3: "you guys got some balls"
me and my friend (confused): "what do you mean?"
PL3: "couple'a white kids walkin by themselves in Newark at night?"

and one time I met Rupp was after a game where he lost to Paul Mara

me: "hey mike what happened with Mara?"
mike: "yeah yeahhh i know"
me: "next time i guess"
mike: "ahhhh, next time i'll kick his ass"

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil, 21 June 2010 - 01:14 PM.

cghico.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#19 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

nicest guy was rolston, though brodeur was very nice too.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#20 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

In 2000, the Devils had a Gold Circle Meeting where you can skate with the team and get autographs. According to the devils management, they couldn't sign anything while on the ice, Jason Arnott didn't really care and began to sign peoples jerseys, including my own, he even said "Yeah I'm not suppose to do it, but whatever"

Toward the end of the on rink skate, i went over to Brodeur to get a picture, and at this time they had to come in to get ready for the meet and greet on the main concourse. He told them, hold on a few more kids want pictures, ill be there soon. And took a few more (including my own) were taken and then he left. It was cool he didnt want to go until everyone had a picture.
POTATO!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users