• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Toasterleavins

Toasterleavins

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

First post here, but ive been a devils fan oddly enough since 94 (like a decent amount of people here it seems). Id always wanted to root for the devils, but we didnt get sportschannel until the end of 94, so thats when i could really start to watch them. Friends of my dads had season tickets, and thought they had lost their playoff tickets so they were issued another set. They then found the originals and my dad was able to purchase the extra set off them. We paid 100 a ticket, and i still remember on the way into the stadium for game 4 someone offered us 600 dollars a peice for our tickets. My dad turned to me and asked me if i wanted to take the money and said i could keep the money for my ticket if we sold them (600 dollars is a ton to a 15 year old kid!) but i said no, and they went on to win the cup. Greatest thing ive ever seen, and to think i almost missed it.

Just wanted to share.... LETS GO DEVILS!

#42 BCdevil

BCdevil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:16 AM

Also amazing how humongous Brodeur's blocker looks compared to today's.

My dad managed to score 2 tickets from a friend... maybe 5-10 rows back from the glass. My mom managed to get a single ticket from a friend too, sitting right behind Rolston's family. (At this point my dad split season tickets with another family of 6... we had 6 seats and they got that game.) Before the game we went to "Bazookas" (Hooters clone in Seacaucus), and the Red Wings were loading onto their buses from the hotel in that strip mall. My mom tried to take a photo of me with Scotty Bowman. Once he saw my Devils jersey he flat out refused.

She helped me make an awesome fake cup, my dad had a broom. The next morning we get a call from my uncle telling us to pick up the NY Times... there's me screaming holding up the fake cup and my dad waving the broom (right below an article about the Nashville scare...) Was a pretty friggen' awesome experience. Bringing back some great memories.

I spent the postgame at Bazookas with my family. In retrospect, it's hilarious considering I was a month shy of 13 and my little brother was 6 at the time.
Posted Image

#43 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

Oh I remember Bazookas, once a favorite dive for Croxton Yard Crews...

Edited by Deke, 25 June 2010 - 04:27 AM.

Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,280 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

That means ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Well, you're half-right. Birthday indeed. Happy? Actually it was...I handled 40 a lot better than I thought I would.

These posts are all making me feel so old...it seems like almost everyone posting was 14 or younger in '95. I was already 25. I guess the good side of that was that I got to see the slow but steady rise to respectability and, eventually, championship glory. The downside of that...some of that was pretty painful to watch. I'm just glad I got to see John MacLean play in his prime...and saddened that it was cut short with that torn ACL.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

Well, you're half-right. Birthday indeed. Happy? Actually it was...I handled 40 a lot better than I thought I would.

These posts are all making me feel so old...it seems like almost everyone posting was 14 or younger in '95. I was already 25. I guess the good side of that was that I got to see the slow but steady rise to respectability and, eventually, championship glory. The downside of that...some of that was pretty painful to watch. I'm just glad I got to see John MacLean play in his prime...and saddened that it was cut short with that torn ACL.

Be happy about the fact that you were 25. At 15, I didn't appreciate just how special it was. I knew it was amazing. It was the first time any team I liked had won a championship. (Yanks would win the next year, and I'm still waiting for the Jets) I just didn't realize quite what it meant to the Devils.

But I do remember it being nearly a given that they were moving to Nashville. That Cup may be what kept them here.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#46 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,008 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

I was browsing through some old high school stuff and found the old skool Devils Den from the 96 season tha tchamps gear and models with bad hair do's. I can't believe it has been 15 years already damn. I remember being so pumped after each win, whew!

#47 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

Re: Nashville NO WAY sign.

There's a great pic of Terreri holding it up on page 47 of the Star Ledger Devils 25th book.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#48 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

There's a great pic of Terreri holding it up on page 47 of the Star Ledger Devils 25th book.

Thank you. I've been meaning to pick that book up for awhile.

On an unrelated note, somehow I missed him earlier, but I must say that toasterleavins is my favorite name for a new poster in a long time. :lol:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

I have that book. I'm so dense.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users