48 replies to this topic

#1 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

15 years ago tonight, the arena in the swamp erupted, the little team that couldn't finally did, and the Mickey Mouse Organization was officially gone...

Go ahead, take some time to enjoy every second of it.

I know someone on the board uploads all of these onto Youtube, but I forget who. Gotta say man, you do an awesome job getting these together.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#2 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

What a party it was in that arena. No stress, no worries, just joy as we watched the time tick away in the third.

#3 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

Ah I remembering getting all choked up that day...I never thought the Devs would win one in my lifetime & they gave us 3.

Edited by Elias26, 24 June 2010 - 10:24 AM.

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#4 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

Man it's amazing what was allowed in those days. That hook by Detroit at 2:35 would have been the easiest call of the year for officials these days.

#5 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

Man it's amazing what was allowed in those days. That hook by Detroit at 2:35 would have been the easiest call of the year for officials these days.

That's how I always feel when I watch pre-lockout hockey. So much hooking and holding...mission accomplished by the league I guess

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#6 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

That's how I always feel when I watch pre-lockout hockey. So much hooking and holding...mission accomplished by the league I guess

I'm probably one of the few that preferred it the old way. Seemed to be a lot more emotion back then as well.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#7 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

15 years ago tonight, I was at Continental Arena, maybe it was called Brendon Byrne Arena, can't remember anyway I was with my youngest son then 31 years old. We hadn't missed a game during the regular season and the playoffs that year and here we were to see the sweep by the Devils over the Octopus Red Wings. Who would have thought. How exciting being at a Stanley Cup final game and your team wins. We have repeated the same in next two Devils cup wins. Very thrilling to be at. Even the parade in the parking lot. Fond memories.

#8 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

15 years ago tonight, I was at Continental Arena, maybe it was called Brendon Byrne Arena, can't remember anyway I was with my youngest son then 31 years old

How f'ing old are you? I know i'm one of the "older" regulars here (which at 36, makes me feel REALLY old), but maybe we should start calling you "Gramps" :P
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

I was 16, and paid a pretty penny to have someone drop me off at the Sheridan to pick up my ticket (no stubhub back then). I remember thinking that I wasted my money when the Wings went up 2-1. Absolutely amazing. I'm surprised they don't play the clip of Peluso crying on the SC Playoff commercials.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#10 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

I'll never admit to how much i paid for my ticket in section 110, but as a college student i know i ate Ramen noodles and PB & J for a bit.....
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#11 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

I was 7...and the Devils were the first team I rooted for to win any sort of championship.
Posted Image Posted Image

#12 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

I was 5, and my friend's dad had just introduced me to hockey..good times..good times

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#13 twillms73

twillms73

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

15 years ago tonight, I was 21 and performing in a drum and bugle corps competition in Waterbury, CT. Of the 5 groups competing, 4 were from New Jersey. After the competition ended, there were pockets of people all over the parking lot, huddled around cars listening to the game. I remember when the Devils scored the 5th goal, the lot erupted as if we were inside the arena. Then as the clock counted down to zero, I was on a borrowed cell phone to my brother at home. He described every bit of the ceremony to me while a massive party reveled deep into the night. It was about 2am, when the Waterbury cops finally showed up, wondering why this sliver of Connecticut was annexed by hockey fans from the Garden State.

An amazing experience that I'll never ever forget.

Edited by twillms73, 25 June 2010 - 07:02 AM.

Tom Willms
IYMSportsRadio.com

#14 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

and the Mickey Mouse Organization was officially gone...

Unless you're a beat writer for the Devils :lol:

Oh ya, I also got offered my first beer at the game by the guy sitting next to us. I was 15 at the time, a little too young to figure out my Dad probably wouldn't have cared if I had said yes to just 1.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#15 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

cuteness -- even if hockey should never be played in June - lockout/strike or not!

You knwo if this was there only Cup it would always be "*"d :puke:

man - THEIR... I suck...

Edited by Pepperkorn, 24 June 2010 - 12:08 PM.

I'm here for the party

#16 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,272 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Oh yeah...15 years ago. I remember the day quite fondly. So much anticipation...so much happiness...such a feeling of "wow, never thought I'd see this". So much celebration. My 25th birthday!

Thankfully, I spent it and Game 3 at the Meadowlands. What I wouldn't give to get another crack at a moment like that...one of my best memories.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#17 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

i was 10 at the time. i remember after we won, my mom had the radio on and wplj dedicated queen's "we are the champions" to the new jersey devils. even at 10, the song made me cry. i'm such a baby - i've teared up for each cup we've won since lulz.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#18 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Oh yeah...15 years ago. I remember the day quite fondly. So much anticipation...so much happiness...such a feeling of "wow, never thought I'd see this". So much celebration. My 25th birthday!

Thankfully, I spent it and Game 3 at the Meadowlands. What I wouldn't give to get another crack at a moment like that...one of my best memories.

That means ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#19 section 110

section 110

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

I was crying like Mike Peluso in the stands. And not ashamed to admit it.
Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com keeper of....CAA's Section 110 (for the first 25 years) and The Rock's Section 5 22 (for the next 25 years and beyond)

#20 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

yes I remember it fondly - I just left my weird Keanu-alike Israeli pilot at the airport and saw the Post and thought...

"New Jersey has a hockey team?" :unsure:

:giggle:

:whistling:

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users