181 replies to this topic

#141 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Volchenkov and Tallinder a HUGE upgrade from Martin and Mottau! Glad to see Volchenkov and Tallinder on the back end for the Devils. Lou got what he wanted as far as defense.

I agree good upgrade.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#142 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Watched the youtube someone put up of Volchenkov and I have to say I like what I see. One question though. He seems to have a thing of putting his elbows up a lot on his hits, and some close boardings. Has this been a problem for him? Getting penalties for it?

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#143 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Show me some of this

believe-3devils.jpg

#144 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Just read he got a NTC. Doesn't make it a bad deal but you cant hand those things out like candy.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#145 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

Real solid defensive defenseman. The price is lower than Martin would've been and I'm really happy that Lou realized the defensive urgency. Real happy with Lou's work today.

#146 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

one scary dude
Posted Image

#147 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

This is a solid signing so long as Lou has a move or two more up his sleeve.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#148 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

The more I read and hear about this, the more I think that this was an awesome signing by Lou. :cheers:

Edited by mmajeski06, 01 July 2010 - 08:30 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#149 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

Pittsburgh loses Gonchar and gets Martin
New Jersey loses Martin and gets Volchenkov
Ottawa loses Volchenkov and gets Gonchar

What a nice merry-go-round of D-men.

I am not entirely sold on Gonchar, especially the contract length and amount given his age. Yes he will put up more points that Volchenkov, but I am just not 100% on him.

Enjoy Volchie.....I am not sure his style is going to mix well with Brodeur....good luck with that. I am sad to see him go, but he is getting his money's worth on this contract, Sens couldn't have given him that length.

Watched the youtube someone put up of Volchenkov and I have to say I like what I see. One question though. He seems to have a thing of putting his elbows up a lot on his hits, and some close boardings. Has this been a problem for him? Getting penalties for it?

Not really a problem. If his elbows come up it is usually the kind of "after explosion" of the hit, he doesn't lead with them.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#150 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

[quote name='cubanjd305' date='01 July 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1278029530' post='898509']
Show me some of this

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMCX2bQkNc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

Damn I saw this live and thought "Wish the Devils hit like that"

Nice signing. I think it would take an act of Lou to get Brodeur to allow shot blocking though.

#151 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

[quote name='DevilMinder' date='01 July 2010 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1278034675' post='898623']
[quote name='cubanjd305' date='01 July 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1278029530' post='898509']
Show me some of this

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMCX2bQkNc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

Damn I saw this live and thought "Wish the Devils hit like that"

Nice signing. I think it would take an act of Lou to get Brodeur to allow shot blocking though.
[/quote]
That's all I need to see to know he's cool in my book. B )

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#152 Dave30

Dave30

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

was preying and wishing for the this signing, it came true <3 uncle lou

#153 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:56 AM

Uncle Lou made a great move by signing Volchenkov but still I am not to crazy on that NTC that he seems to give to everyboy :unsure:

I hope that Volchenkov demolish Sean Avery in the first game against the Rangers. :ECW:

Edited by SS-SS, 02 July 2010 - 06:56 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#154 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Someday in 3-4 years Urbom-Volchenkov would be a nasty pair both are nasty and can hit and block and Urbom can move the puck and shoot. :)
Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#155 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

This is absolutely 100 % what the devils needed. I am extremely excited about this signing, and am ashamed to admit I'm already over Paul Martin's departure.

#156 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Most people seem to like this signing, but I'm concerned that the defense isn't very mobile, and with Martin gone Greene is our only puck mover. Plus, the signing of two defensemen blocks young players in the system (maybe Eckford and others aren't all that highly regarded?).

I don't know.

#157 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Most people seem to like this signing, but I'm concerned that the defense isn't very mobile, and with Martin gone Greene is our only puck mover. Plus, the signing of two defensemen blocks young players in the system (maybe Eckford and others aren't all that highly regarded?).

I don't know.

Lou said he isn't done yet. He is hinting at making more moves, which for Lou is insane. He usually doesn't tell us anything.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#158 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl,253156

Puck Daddy talking to Volchenkov about deal with Devils.
Posted Image Posted Image

#159 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Now if we can only convince him to hit Rolston like they when Winky loafs.
It's the whiskey talking.

#160 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

Lou said he isn't done yet. He is hinting at making more moves, which for Lou is insane. He usually doesn't tell us anything.

Right. Let's wait until we see the final team before we call the defense "immobile"

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users