12374 replies to this topic

#3061 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

In fairness to him, it may be possible that he's giving Lou time to sort out the cap situation. Obviously, its probably not the case, but it may not be entirely Kovy's fault. Although I submit that it probably is lol.

That could be an option, but that though is being contradicted by his contact with the LA Kings and the fact that he went back to them with a counter offer to give them another shot.

I think in his mind it's:

1. LA
2. NJ
3. SKA

LA is rumored to be out again unless Kovy severely lowers his demands. Like everyone else, I see it as a NJ/SKA decision.

#3062 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

In fairness to him, it may be possible that he's giving Lou time to sort out the cap situation. Obviously, its probably not the case, but it may not be entirely Kovy's fault. Although I submit that it probably is lol.

eh, lou's had all week to sort out the cap situation. unless he's sending players overseas or something, he should pretty much have every permutation down.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#3063 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

That could be an option, but that though is being contradicted by his contact with the LA Kings and the fact that he went back to them with a counter offer to give them another shot.

I think in his mind it's:

1. LA
2. NJ
3. SKA

LA is rumored to be out again unless Kovy severely lowers his demands. Like everyone else, I see it as a NJ/SKA decision.

i actually think it's:

1 - LA
2 - LA
3 - LA
4 - LA
5 - LA
6 - NJ
7 - LA
8 - SKA

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#3064 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

i actually think it's:

1 - LA
2 - LA
3 - LA
4 - LA
5 - LA
6 - NJ
7 - LA
8 - SKA

You could be right, but we still have NO idea what's really going on. We definitely don't know what Lou and Vanderbeek are up to. Players have to be moved for Kovy to fit here ultimately. We have no idea if that's being taken care or or if it's underway or anything. The lack of communication is such a pain in the ass although I guess it's necessary.

#3065 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Snore.

I'll pass on any 10m per year contract, unless it's a 1-year deal, which would be fine by me and also creates the impetus to move some other players, a good thing.

I'll pass on any ridiculous 17 year deal too.

I'm sure part of this is pressure on the GM by ownership (to make attendance numbers improve and have a marketable face to the franchise), but in terms of a winning team, I'd much rather take a chance on trading for Kaberle. Trade for him, and then sign him to an extension at 5m per season. Much better investment than Kovalchuk.

Really, the only factor appealing to me about signing Kovalchuk is the need then to dump other players, which maybe Lou would not otherwise do out of loyalty. That and his 40+ goal seasons, but if it's at the expense of playing him 25 minutes a night and 100% of every 2-minute powerplay, those 40 goals aren't really that enticing.

She underlines the f*ck scenes for you?

#3066 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

I see four variables, and it's just a question of what ranks first and second.

1. $$
2. LA
3. NJ
4. SKA

Or

1. LA
2. $$
3. NJ
4. SKA

Whether or not New Jersey should even be on this list because they're representing $$ could be debated as well. But IMO it boils down to L.A. and $$. Does he want L.A. so badly that he'll take WAY less money than he was hoping to get? Or is the money so important that he'll stay in Jersey for an amount that's still less than he was hoping to get, but is more than L.A. is offering?

This, of course, is based on little fact, a lot of rumors and too much free time.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#3067 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

That and his 40+ goal seasons, but if it's at the expense of playing him 25 minutes a night and 100% of every 2-minute powerplay, those 40 goals aren't really that enticing.

You can't rely on whatever ice-time/powerplay time he got last season, at least not right now. No more LeMaire, plus we have an assistant (Oates) who seems to know a thing or two about constructing an effective powerplay. MacLean apparently did a good job with the powerplay in Lowell also.

The unacceptable results last year also give me reason to believe that Kovy would be not be used the same way should he re-sign.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#3068 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

The whole Sochi thing is just going to be used as a bargaining chip by Bettman in the new CBA talks; all the Russians will get to play, as will the Americans and Canadians and Ethiopians and Martians. And the Flying Asians, those crazy flying Asians......

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#3069 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Has anyone consulted with a magic 8 ball yet?

http://web.ics.purdu...n/eightball.cgi

Edited by pattyelias, 09 July 2010 - 09:52 AM.

#3070 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

i consulted my knockoff one where everything usually happens the opposite of what comes up.... it told me try again later and then try again later. i gave up.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#3071 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

I see four variables, and it's just a question of what ranks first and second.

1. $
2. LA
3. NJ
4. SKA

Or

1. LA
2. $
3. NJ
4. SKA

Whether or not New Jersey should even be on this list because they're representing $ could be debated as well. But IMO it boils down to L.A. and $. Does he want L.A. so badly that he'll take WAY less money than he was hoping to get? Or is the money so important that he'll stay in Jersey for an amount that's still less than he was hoping to get, but is more than L.A. is offering?

This, of course, is based on little fact, a lot of rumors and too much free time.

You're right.

It seems like there is a pretty solid offer on the table from NJ however due to whatever reason he keeps going back to LA. This could just be Grossman dealing back and forth between interested teams to get the best price or it could be because Kovy wants to settle down over there. I can see how the west coast could be alluring. SKA seems to just be another interested party but from what i gather Kovy isn't super stoked about that option.

Then there's the rest of the NHL where no one will break the bank.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#3072 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

I did. Response was "Ask again later."
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#3073 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:54 AM

i consulted my knockoff one where everything usually happens the opposite of what comes up.... it told me try again later and then try again later. i gave up.

So wouldn't that mean you should try again right now? Do it! The answer is right there.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#3074 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

You can't rely on whatever ice-time/powerplay time he got last season, at least not right now. No more LeMaire, plus we have an assistant (Oates) who seems to know a thing or two about constructing an effective powerplay. MacLean apparently did a good job with the powerplay in Lowell also.

The unacceptable results last year also give me reason to believe that Kovy would be not be used the same way should he re-sign.

Based on the Oates power play model...i have Kovi as the Stamcos but who is the sneaky guy sliding pucks over via Marty St. Louis?? Elias is the obvious choice?
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#3075 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Kovy's horoscope is not much help:

"Work backward. Know where you want to go and who you want to reach. Imagine what reaction you want to elicit from others."

#3076 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

I did. Response was "Ask again later."

Well done. LOL
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#3077 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

So wouldn't that mean you should try again right now? Do it! The answer is right there.

trifecta of "ask again later"

its going to monday, at least :argh:

#3078 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

"Work backward. Know where you want to go and who you want to reach. Imagine what reaction you want to elicit from others."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#3079 brodeurfanatic

brodeurfanatic

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Sorry to say but I actually think the devils are out of the sweepstakes... Kovy obviously wants to be a King I think both parties are bargaining for an agreement.

Kovy to Kings..
Posted Image
Thanks for the sig UnderdogX

---

"He loves the game, he has God-given talent and we're just glad he's in our pipes," - Lou Lamoriello vs Flyers on 4/1/06

---

Official NJDevs.com Keeper Of Brodeur's Coach Jacques Caron
Official NJDevs.com Keeper Of Special Assignment Coach Pat Burns

Starting a Game Thread Record ~ 4-1-0-1

#3080 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

This is genius. Well done!

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users