12374 replies to this topic

#3141 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

Well at least Lebron mania is out of the way. I will keep checking but I feel like this Kovy thing can drag out for a while.

#3142 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

What else is left? I don't think there are any NEW options coming out of nowhere. He has had plenty of times to jot down the pros and cons of signing in LA, NJ, and Russia... so is he just sitting there every day going back and forth on where he's going to go?

He's not even going to get his desired pay day in Russia!

#3143 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

People disagree with me... and that's fine. I'm not going to argue with anyone... but I'd have given him a week to figure this out. Now he's disrupting business for any interested parties.

That's assuming Kovy is the one holding things up. That seems like the most likely case, but it's possible Lou clearing room, the NHL approving a contract or some other invisible-to-us-laypeople thing could be causing the delay.

Hopefully we'll all know soon enough.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#3144 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

If it's the NHL holding things up... SOMEONE has to know about it and would have said something. With all the inside information that the TSN guys and others get... someone has to know. And it's like where in the world is Carmen SanDiego as to where Grossman and Kovy are.

#3145 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Those are some huge thighs.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#3146 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Yes it is early over here, but the sense I've been getting is that writers (see LeBrun) are fed up with Kovy's waiting and don't want to post anything until he signs somewhere.

great...now what the heck am i supposed to do :soap:
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#3147 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

YES. And that makes us want to see the back picture!

I still maintain that she might be a midget. The way she looks just doesn't add up proportionately.

#3148 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

yeah...although possiblely useful in battle can we get some super sexy ninja's posted up...or pirates :whistling:

Posted Image

Edited by justdo3043, 09 July 2010 - 11:45 AM.

"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#3149 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

What else is left? I don't think there are any NEW options coming out of nowhere. He has had plenty of times to jot down the pros and cons of signing in LA, NJ, and Russia... so is he just sitting there every day going back and forth on where he's going to go?

He's not even going to get his desired pay day in Russia!

one problem could be that it's not 'him'. imagine you're not particularly bright (and i don't think kovalchuk is particularly bright, nothing against him) and you're being told the pros of signing for more money or staying in america. lebron said last night that every day he felt a new team was the right place for him, and i believe that - if you're highly suggestible and pretty easily led, it has to be real difficult to settle.

the amazing thing to me isn't that kovalchuk's taken this long - although kovalchuk may end up signing the longest contract in UFA history, i think the longest so far is 7 or 8 years - it's that no one else has taken this long.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#3150 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

figured I'd get us back on track with that one

#3151 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Kovy has known since he became a Devil that Lou was going to want him, that he was going to be interested in LA, and that the KHL was going to be a big money option when July decided to roll around. This is definitely a series of big decisions for him, but the bottom line is that he's had a lot of time to think about all these factors and these destinations: the only real unknown at the trading deadline was the cash available at each stop. It's not like all this surprised him on July 1st.

If he and the Mrs. didn't have at least one serious discussion about Jersey vs. the Hollywood Hills in April or May then they're both idiots. Or maybe he's so dependent on his agents that he simply isn't capable of standing up to either one of them, or has no interest in making any decisions for himself beyond 'shoot or pass'.

How much do we really know about him...is he more likely to read Scientific American or watch Dora The Explorer in his free time?

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#3152 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

one problem could be that it's not 'him'. imagine you're not particularly bright (and i don't think kovalchuk is particularly bright, nothing against him) and you're being told the pros of signing for more money or staying in america. lebron said last night that every day he felt a new team was the right place for him, and i believe that - if you're highly suggestible and pretty easily led, it has to be real difficult to settle.

the amazing thing to me isn't that kovalchuk's taken this long - although kovalchuk may end up signing the longest contract in UFA history, i think the longest so far is 7 or 8 years - it's that no one else has taken this long.

I think he's caught between his wife, his mom and what he wants.

Let's pitty the fool. There's nothing worse than that.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#3153 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

I think we're on the same page here, he's largely an unknown. All I know of him I learned from watching him, and that phony Sam Rosen interview LOL

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#3154 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Isn't Hossa's a 12-year deal?
Posted Image

#3155 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Isn't Hossa's a 12-year deal?

yes, it is. oops.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#3156 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

yes, it is. oops.

Your point still holds, though. If the rumored 17-year deal really is what's on the table, taking Kovy til he's 44, it's substantially larger than a 12-year deal taking Hossa til he's 42. The envelope would be getting pushed.

UFA or not UFA, is DiPietro's 15-year monster still the record?
Posted Image

#3157 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

I have a feeling this happens today. Book it.

#3158 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have a feeling this happens today. Book it.

Give me the marker Dude.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#3159 smullzx6

smullzx6

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

now that the lebron drama is over i wanna see if kovy is goin to make his decision soon but i have a feeling it may be a while before he signs.
Devils Hockey is Life!

Posted Image

#3160 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm still waiting for the official death toll out of Cleveland after last night's ego show on ESPN.

I was lost in downtown Cleveland last night around ten (looking for a McDonald's of all things...and would you believe it was right around the corner the whole time?) and it was quite tense. Some were depressed but many were furious and the enormous "Lebron in his Cleveland jersey" nike billboard on Ontario street was not a heartwarming presence.

I have a feeling Kovalchuk is ready this evening.
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users