12374 replies to this topic

#3241 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Funny thing is, when Mats pulled a Brett Favre and decided to come back and play with a team on the other side of Canada, that's more or less what he did on his own.

But like GB with Favre, Sundin knew Toronto wouldn't take him back.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#3242 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Why stop there? Why not make it a 80 year, $104million deal, the same as this purported one only with an additional $2mill spread over the last 63 years. (that's a cap hit of $1.3million in case you wanted to know)

I think one way to absolutely end the whole practice would be to make cap hit the larger of the following two things: the actual salary for the player this season; the average salary over the lifetime of the contract. Obviously no GM would ever sign a player to a deal with different salaries in different years ever again, so that squashes the idea altogether.
Unless there's something I'm missing?

I think the better solution is to require teams to "pay back" the cap hit if a player retires early and total salary paid is great than the total cap space used.

e.g., you sign someone to a 15-year deal at $8m for the first 10 and $2m for the last 5. This is a cap hit of $6m. Now let's say the player retires after year 10.

Total salary paid after 10 years = $80m

Total cap value used in those 10 years = $60m

The team "owes" $20m in cap value, so they should required to pay that back. The simplest would be to pay the total $20m over the remaining years of the contract for a cap hit of $4m in each of the next 5 years.

The idea behind this is that by creating a front-loaded contract, the team effectively borrows cap space from the later years of the contract during the early years of the contract. For fairness, at the end of the contract total cap hit should be the same as total salary paid, so the team should have to "pay back" the cap space they borrowed from the later years of the contract. This would take away the impetus for deals where the team expects the player to retire before the end.

Similarly, if a player retires or otherwise leaves the NHL before the end of a back-loaded deal, the team should get a cap credit. Take a deal paying $1m in year 1 and $4m in years 2 and 3 for a cap hit of $3m. If the player retires after year 1, the team will have used $3m in cap space but only paid the player $1m. They should get a $2m total cap credit, or $1m in each of the last 2 years of the contract.
Posted Image

#3243 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

I think the better solution is to require teams to "pay back" the cap hit if a player retires early and total salary paid is great than the total cap space used.

e.g., you sign someone to a 15-year deal at $8m for the first 10 and $2m for the last 5. This is a cap hit of $6m. Now let's say the player retires after year 10.

Total salary paid after 10 years = $80m

Total cap value used in those 10 years = $60m

The team "owes" $20m in cap value, so they should required to pay that back. The simplest would be to pay the total $20m over the remaining years of the contract for a cap hit of $4m in each of the next 5 years.

This is a good idea. But, the problem is that the penalty does not count against the cap. A team like NYR or Chicago wouldn't mind paying the cap hit back if they really wanted to pull a long-term offer with a low cap hit.

Really all that is, is a long-term luxury tax.

Edited by ben00rs, 09 July 2010 - 03:50 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#3244 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#3245 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

The pace in this thread has slowed. I don't think many people care anymore.

#3246 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

Sign. Don't Sign. Whatever.
It's the whiskey talking.

#3247 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Monday I'd guess... waited so long might as well give it the weekend to convince the wife... maybe a trip to the Jersey Shore? A night at the Borgota? A quick drive from EWR to NYC for the Day?

So you want Kovy to convince his wife that NJ is great by taking a trip to the Jersey shore? Do you realize what you just said?

#3248 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

The pace in this thread has slowed. I don't think many people care anymore.

8 days of this crap + the weekend = i'm getting hamammered the next couple days.

#3249 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

So you want Kovy to convince his wife that NJ is great by taking a trip to the Jersey shore? Do you realize what you just said?

LBI is beautiful, please don't tell me you think the Jersey shore is actually like what you see on the Jersey Shore (the show).

#3250 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

LBI is beautiful, please don't tell me you think the Jersey shore is actually like what you see on the Jersey Shore (the show).

No, I think the Jersey shore is actually like what I see when I go down to the Jersey shore. Namely, millions of people on top of each other, broskies, attention-seeking frat whores and white trash families with their white trash children (read: Flyers fans). Of course, there is the sprinkling of normal people, but yea, 90% of it is what I just described.

Edited by Amberite, 09 July 2010 - 04:47 PM.

#3251 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

No, I think the Jersey shore is actually like what I see when I go down to the Jersey shore. Namely, millions of people everywhere, broskies, attention-seeking frat whores and white trash families with their white trash children (read: Flyers fans). Of course, there is the sprinkling of normal people, but yea, 90% of it is what I just described.

So then stop going to Seaside. My shore house is in Normandy Beach which is on the island right smack between where Seaside and Point Pleasant is. Private beach, no meateads or fist pumping.

#3252 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

This is what I meant
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#3253 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

This is what I meant

Hmm I'm never one to miss sarcasm, definitely didn't detect it in your post (the Borgata is nice and so is a day-trip to NYC). If it was sarcasm, my apologies.

#3254 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

So then stop going to Seaside. My shore house is in Normandy Beach which is on the island right smack between where Seaside and Point Pleasant is. Private beach, no meateads or fist pumping.

Yeah, my parents have a house right nearby. Seaside's fun on occasion, but most definitely a freak show. Hey, Kovy should buy that house on the island in the bay.
Posted Image

#3255 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

This is what I meant

Yeah no offense but that post didn't sound like it had a lick of sarcasm.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#3256 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

That house in the bay that has it's own island? That thing is ridiculous... wonder who actually lives there. If I can find out the actual address I can figure it out.

#3257 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

if you want to change the Jersey Shore image just call it a BEACH! The whole shore thing is so, well, Jersey. It's the beach people.
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#3258 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

How am I supposed to go to Normandy Beach instead of Seaside if it's a private beach?

#3259 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hmm I'm never one to miss sarcasm, definitely didn't detect it in your post (the Borgata is nice and so is a day-trip to NYC). If it was sarcasm, my apologies.

none of those things are very glamorous or are going to lure anyone here.... sort of the best we have... for better or worse
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#3260 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

How am I supposed to go to Normandy Beach instead of Seaside if it's a private beach?

My point is just that a small percentage of the Jersey Shore is like Seaside. There are a lot of great places to go other than Seaside where you can have a great relaxing and fun time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users