New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, outside of the bettman bashing taking place in Devil forums, everyone else is bashing the Devils. Its just horrible being in limbo right now. I just hope this reaches a resolution sooner rather than later.

Instead of reading stupid rumors on where Kovy will sign, we're going to be reading how much everyone hates the Devils until a resolution is reached. Depending on the resolution, we might still hear a lot of people voicing their displeasure with the Devils, but it won't matter to us if we still get Kovy with a low cap hit. But I'm fearing the worst situation, in which Kovy decides to sign elsewhere in the end, and the Devil's organization will be laughed at for some time. I really can't believe the Devils are in the middle of something like this. This is so not LOU.

One word: Parity. It's tough to achieve it if the NHL lets teams lock up all their talent long-term without letting the teams that draft and trade poorly have a crack at 'em too.

L2DraftandTrade?

I mean honestly, if the argument against long-term deals is that "Well, we want other people to have a shot at them as well," then you need a GM that understands your business a bit better. I know we've been spoiled because we've had a really good GM for a long time, but the answer is to get better or get new GM's, not dumb it down for everyone else.

L2DraftandTrade?

I mean honestly, if the argument against long-term deals is that "Well, we want other people to have a shot at them as well," then you need a GM that understands your business a bit better. I know we've been spoiled because we've had a really good GM for a long time, but the answer is to get better or get new GM's, not dumb it down for everyone else.

exactly, why should we have to lower our standards and play on the level of an expansion team? The idea is "whatever it takes to win" that should be the motto of every pro sports team not "let's make sure we give everyone a shot". that's an example of when equality = boring.

burnside's agenda is to make the devils look bad.

his article does that because it makes lou look like he was trying to swindle kovalchuk. now, hopefully kovalchuk doesn't think that.

From the article

"Either way, the charade of Tuesday's news conference was distasteful."

What a load of sh!t. How is it distasteful either way? Such crap.

Unfortunately, outside of the bettman bashing taking place in Devil forums, everyone else is bashing the Devils. Its just horrible being in limbo right now. I just hope this reaches a resolution sooner rather than later.

Instead of reading stupid rumors on where Kovy will sign, we're going to be reading how much everyone hates the Devils until a resolution is reached. Depending on the resolution, we might still hear a lot of people voicing their displeasure with the Devils, but it won't matter to us if we still get Kovy with a low cap hit. But I'm fearing the worst situation, in which Kovy decides to sign elsewhere in the end, and the Devil's organization will be laughed at for some time. I really can't believe the Devils are in the middle of something like this. This is so not LOU.

Lou does not like to lose anything, I would bet there is no way he is losing Kovy, not at this point!

Like I've said before no one knows that Kovalchuk and Grossman didn't know there would be issues. Lou is a pretty classy guy with tons of experience in this field so I'm pretty sure he told Kovy and Grossman that there could be issues with the NHL approval of the contract. For Burnside to assume that Lou just blindsided Kovy and Grossman is just stupid. I anything the NHL rejecting the contract after the big to do on Tuesday is distasteful. Why would Kovalchuk want to play in the NHL if stuff like this goes on.

BTW Burnside littering his article with questions is not only poor writing but poor journalism.

L2DraftandTrade?

I didn't say I like it. It's just that parity, from a league's standpoint, is the competitive flipside to financial stability. Win-win for them.

How about this:

Current deal - 6 6 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 10.5 8.5 6.5 3.5 .75 .55 .55 .55 .55 .55

17 years, $102M total, $6M cap hit

Compromise - 6 6 10 11 11 11 11 10.5 8.5 6.5 3.5 1 1 1 1 1

16 years, $100M total, $6.25 cap hit

This takes Kovy til he's 43 (same as Luongo), he still gets his 9-figure payday and no year pays less than $1M, which is more than you could say about the league-approved deals for Savard, Hossa and Pronger.

Hypothetically throwing around more money than I'll ever see in a dozen lifetimes is fun.

The Kovalchuk saga is like a mediocre movie that seems really great at first but then turns out to be a boring courtroom drama. Let's not go in that direction - while Lou is stubborn and sticks to his guns, I don't think it is good for the league, the Devils organization, or Kovalchuk to have this thing drag out into August.

So if I'm Lou, after I patch up those Mercedes-Benz ads they run during Devils' games where I sound like an undertaker, and convincing Garth Snow that Brian Rolston really is a leader in the locker room, that you can't just look at his body language on the ice, I talk to Jay Grossman over at Midwest Federal, and offer this deal:

7 7 11.5 11.5 10.5 10.5 10.5 10.5 7.5 4.5 2.5 1.5 1.5 1 1

that's 15 years, 98.5 million dollars. it's a cap hit of 6.56M, and the end isn't totally ridiculous - he's never making close to the current NHL minimum. Kovalchuk would probably end up playing until year 10 or possibly 11 of that deal, meaning that he leaves 5 million dollars on the table. He only collects 93.5 million, as opposed to the 98.5 million he would likely collect under the old deal. He still makes more than Ovechkin in most years, and we know that's important to him.

(EDIT: Ah, I see DIG beat me to the numbers. Oh well, read on anyway, my idea's slightly different.)

Don't know if anyone's up for numbers discussion in this thread, but I was playing around with the original terms and came up with this idea:

15 years @ 100 million (cap hit of $6.666... million), broken down like so:

6 7 9 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 9.5 6.5 6 3.5 2.5 2 1 1

The ramp-up isn't quite so drastic and the ramp-down is a little more even. It comes out to $45M the first 5 years, $45M the next 5 years, and $10M over the last 5 years.

For comparison, this was the original contract:

6 6 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 10.5 8.5 6.5 3.5 .75 .55 .55 .55 .55 .55

Thoughts?

Edited by RowdyFan42

whoops, i just posted a thread with speculations on the numbers, figured we would keep this for a news thread for now. both of those are fine ideas, although i think kovalchuk will demand more money up front if he's gonna be taking less money overall.

(EDIT: Ah, I see DIG beat me to the numbers. Oh well, read on anyway, my idea's slightly different.)

Don't know if anyone's up for numbers discussion in this thread, but I was playing around with the original terms and came up with this idea:

15 years @ 100 million (cap hit of $6.666... million), broken down like so:

6 7 9 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 9.5 6.5 6 3.5 2.5 2 1 1

The ramp-up isn't quite so drastic and the ramp-down is a little more even. It comes out to $45M the first 5 years, $45M the next 5 years, and $10M over the last 5 years.

For comparison, this was the original contract:

6 6 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5 10.5 8.5 6.5 3.5 .75 .55 .55 .55 .55 .55

Thoughts?

Is it not the ramp down that they are more concerned with so 6.5 to 3.5 to .75 is that still to steep, I dont know

Can we see someone like Hossa's numbers over 15 yrs for compairison, or Prongers/

Edited by Devs1965

Thread combined

last i'll say on this 'cause i'll be guilty of what i'm saying, but there's like 2 other active threads and this one gets bogged down with references to ninja girls and random movie quotes. i think there's room for a good discussion of the kovalchuk contract numbers.

Edited by Triumph

Is it not the ramp down that they are more concerned with so 6.5 to 3.5 to .75 is that still to steep, I dont know

Can we see someone like Hossa's numbers over 15 yrs for compairison, or Prongers/

You can't use Hossa or Pronger. They play for Bettman approved teams.

Great article: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/nhl-might-have-picked-wrong-fight-072110

The biggest problem with this situation is that the league is unfairly penalizing the Devils for playing along with the rules of the game that have already been established by their competitors. If they are expected to compete with the Cup champion 'Hawks and the runner-up Flyers (who have signed Chris Pronger to a similarly dubious deal that pays him only $1 million over the final two years of his contract), they should be able to do so on a level ice surface. By attempting to establish different rules for the Devils, the NHL is establishing a different kind of precedent — a bad one that shouldn't sit very well with the fans.

Thing that irks me is that you have other hockey fans who are more than likely not Devs fans commenting on how this contract is wrong and the Devs are dumb. Hey mind your own sh!tty team don't worry because the Devils are certified badasses with Kovy in the line up.

last i'll say on this 'cause i'll be guilty of what i'm saying, but there's like 2 other active threads and this one gets bogged down with references to ninja girls and random movie quotes. i think there's room for a good discussion of the kovalchuk contract numbers.

Agreed. Please re-open that second thread.

Many NHL fans wonder why Gary Bettman and the NHL ever let things get so out of control. What of the Rick DiPietro deal? Mike Richards? Duncan Keith? Chris Pronger? Marian Hossa? Roberto Luongo? Henrik Zetterberg? Why didn’t the NHL step in on any of those deals?

And what gives the NHL the right to step in on the Kovalchuk deal with so many other NHL contracts already out there that are, in the eyes of many, just as laughable, just as unreasonable?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/422885-ilya-kovalchuk-deal-rejected-by-the-nhl-what-now

I dont know if this was posted already but Why are the Devils always treated like the Mickey Mouse org, Bettman wake up

So if I'm Lou, after I patch up those Mercedes-Benz ads they run during Devils' games where I sound like an undertaker, and convincing Garth Snow that Brian Rolston really is a leader in the locker room, that you can't just look at his body language on the ice, I talk to Jay Grossman over at Midwest Federal, and offer this deal:

Isn't he over at North Star?

Sorry, a Fargo reference cannot go unrecognized.

As for Kovy, I see this as a line in the sand type of situation. The leauge is saying enough is enough with these kind of contracts and is using the press the deal has gotten to put a foot down and say, "Nope, enough is enough". I have to imagine the team already has a plan in place to deal with this risk as they had to have thought there was a chance this deal was going to fall through, so hopefully this gets finished soon.

Agreed.

Hell, this Kovy drama is so twisted and layered that it could fill its own sub-forum. (Not that I'm suggesting that.)