12374 replies to this topic

#5461 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Before the interview started, the hosts mentioned that the deal hasn't been approved by the league yet. Is there any chance that the deal gets rejected?

Considering they haven't rejected similar deals, I doubt it. Pronger's was ridiculous (and investigated but nothing came of it), DiPietro's was almost as long, Hossa etc etc.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#5462 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Before the interview started, the hosts mentioned that the deal hasn't been approved by the league yet. Is there any chance that the deal gets rejected?

Right at the end Grossman just said Kovy intends to play out the entire contract with the New Jersey Devils, so there's your disclaimer. Intention I think is the entire thing. If Kovy "intends" to play out the entire contract, and we know there are players that have/will play till they're 44, then the NHL can't reject it.

1dun.jpg

#5463 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

I don't see what the league could do. This contract is against no rules.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#5464 devalxc

devalxc

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

for some reason facebook's nhl page says 17 year long deal but i dont believe them :unsure:
Posted Image

#5465 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

For those at work:

Grossman:

"We thought our soft deadline was sept. 15 when camp opened." (laughs) We didn't expect that it would play out this long. It was a complicated situation. There were numerous options..coming from numerous different options/teams. Kovy's objective was to get all the deals in front of him and then make a decision. Kovy was calm throughout the whole process.

Grossman wouldn't get into how much the contract was for.

He did say however that it was a long contract. Said Ilya felt he was in a unique position. He said it was a motivating experience for Kovy and his experience with the Devils was great - Even though there was a coach change, he loved Lemaire and Lou.

He said, "It served us well to be silent in the process because things could be misconstrued." He said that when he tweeted for the first time that Kovy would decide, he really believed he was about to decide but then Kovy said, "Let's take a step back here."

About NJ Grossman said that NJ remained absolutely steadfast in their interest and their approach remained the same. They were patient and great to deal with. Lou was always able to call at the right time and say the right thing.

He said that the offer from the KHL was seriously considered - it was for a "short term and was for an unbelievable amount of money"

Grossman then mentioned that Kovy wanted to "print his boots into one location" and compared the contract to Sergei Federov's old contract

Edited by ben00rs, 19 July 2010 - 03:59 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#5466 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

I heard Parise intends to play until he's 80. Lou's trying to sign him to a 125 million, 53 year contract.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#5467 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

I heard Parise intends to play until he's 80. Lou's trying to sign him to a 125 million, 53 year contract.

I'm buying a Stanley Cup 2064 patch right now!!!!

1dun.jpg

#5468 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thanks ben00rs.

#5469 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

About NJ Grossman said that NJ remained absolutely steadfast in their interest and their approach remained the same. They were patient and great to deal with. Lou was always able to call at the right time and say the right thing.

It just goes to show...the small things matter in business. Something my dad's been preaching to me for years now.

Also, shows that Lou's the freakin man.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#5470 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Love how Summer League B-ball is more important to ESPN then this.

n2eg.jpg

#5471 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

I don't see what the league could do. This contract is against no rules.

Apparently a deal can be rejected if it was made with no intent to see it through to its conclusion. While it's true that this deal should pass muster if Pronger and Hossa's did, it is at least conceivable that the league might want to take a stand against a deal like this eventually.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#5472 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Apparently a deal can be rejected if it was made with no intent to see it through to its conclusion. While it's true that this deal should pass muster if Pronger and Hossa's did, it is at least conceivable that the league might want to take a stand against a deal like this eventually.

it's pretty outrageous, but if it gets rejected, they go back to the drawing board and sign a 15 year/101 M deal. hossa's deal takes him up until he's 42 as well.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5473 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

I'd like to see the league stand up to Lou after not on the other deals.

#5474 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

On the subject of front loaded contracts....Don't hate the player hate the game.
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#5475 OurMarty'sBetter

OurMarty'sBetter

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

The deal is reportedly worth $102 million in total over 17 seasons. According to Dmitry Chesnokov of PuckDaddy, the contract will pay Kovalchuk $10 million each of the first eight seasons and $7.5 million per season for the next two seasons after that. That would leave $7 million to be spread over the final seven seasons of the deal, which will conclude when Kovalchuk is 44 years old. from nj fire and ice
A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. Wayne Gretzky

The celebration starts! The New Jersey Devils for the third time in their history, have won the Stanley Cup. The Devils 3, the Ducks 0. Devils, Stanley Cup Champions!

Well if you aren't having fun you should slow down.. If you aren't breathing then you should get help..
But if you're alive and having fun I recommend you pop open another cold one- Colin
Posted Image

#5476 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

they could because this one is even more absurd than the ones that have come before.

we'll see. chesnokov has it as really front-loaded, but it could be less than we think.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5477 OurMarty'sBetter

OurMarty'sBetter

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

http://devils.nhl.co...nav-teamnav-njd HAHAHAAH already
A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. Wayne Gretzky

The celebration starts! The New Jersey Devils for the third time in their history, have won the Stanley Cup. The Devils 3, the Ducks 0. Devils, Stanley Cup Champions!

Well if you aren't having fun you should slow down.. If you aren't breathing then you should get help..
But if you're alive and having fun I recommend you pop open another cold one- Colin
Posted Image

#5478 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

It's not going to happen as much as they'd probably like to.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#5479 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Man I say screw the 1st next year with Rolston and trade Salvador. We could set ourselves up for a pretty strong 5 year period.

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner
Elias - Arnott - Kovalchuk
Zubrus - Josefson - Clarkson
Davis/Vasyunov - Pelley/Sestito - Zharkov
PLL

Volchenkov - Greene
Tallinder - Urbom
White - Corrente/Taormina
Fraser

Brodeu
Hedberg

Nearly 3.5 million in cap space to play with.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#5480 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Man I say screw the 1st next year with Rolston and trade Salvador. We could set ourselves up for a pretty strong 5 year period.

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner
Elias - Arnott - Kovalchuk
Zubrus - Josefson - Clarkson
Davis/Vasyunov - Pelley/Sestito - Zharkov
PLL

Volchenkov - Greene
Tallinder - Urbom
White - Corrente/Taormina
Fraser

Brodeu
Hedberg

Nearly 3.5 million in cap space to play with.

Tedenby in the minors then?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users