12374 replies to this topic

#5801 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

Before everyone jumps to conclusions, has anyone checked all the fine print in the CBA to make sure there isn't a stipulation that this contract failed to address?

i haven't checked it, but it doesn't violate anything i know of.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5802 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

I would guess the league would win if this went to court because the league is given the power to be the arbiter on whether contracts are acceptable or not, they don't really need a reason other than feeling the contract isn't in the spirit of the salary cap.

Saying that, I'm guessing this'll just be some pretty easy fix that both sides negotiate about and this gets fixed up in a day or two.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#5803 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts

If this rejection stands, the Islanders should ask the NHL to void the DiPietro contract. :D

#5804 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Before everyone jumps to conclusions, has anyone checked all the fine print in the CBA to make sure there isn't a stipulation that this contract failed to address?

Lou knows the CBA inside and out.. No way he would have done this knowing he was breaking a rule, AND no way he did this without planning a course of action should it get vetoed

:koolaid:
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5805 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

Wow...I mean right after the press conference? You know Lou was caught off guard by this

Someone's going to pay and isn't going to be Lou or Kovy. God this league is just run by morons, isn't it?

If this rejection stands, the Islanders should ask the NHL to void the DiPietro contract. :D

:rofl:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#5806 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

Exactly what rule are we breaking?

CBA 26.3 deals with circumventing the provisions of the CBA.

26.3 Circumventions.
(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency.

Posted Image

#5807 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

I would guess the league would win if this went to court because the league is given the power to be the arbiter on whether contracts are acceptable or not, they don't really need a reason other than feeling the contract isn't in the spirit of the salary cap.

Saying that, I'm guessing this'll just be some pretty easy fix that both sides negotiate about and this gets fixed up in a day or two.

Is that clause actually in the CBA like the MLB's best interests of baseball clause or just thought about? They can't just say. If there's precedent, we win
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#5808 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

dchesnokov

So, CBA 26.3 talks about "circumventing" the CBA. But is the "circumvention" itself written out?

who knows?

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#5809 MartysGlove

MartysGlove

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

Exactly what rule are we breaking?

Dunno. But ironically, Bettman just invalidated the entire CBA by rejecting this contract.

#5810 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

Is that clause actually in the CBA like the MLB's best interests of baseball clause or just thought about? They can't just say. If there's precedent, we win

Ya, it's written out. The league decides if you're doing something that defeats the cap.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#5811 MartysGlove

MartysGlove

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

CBA 26.3 deals with circumventing the provisions of the CBA.

After reading that clause, I am confident that this contract be approved.

Unless the NHL finds clear evidence that Kovy does not plan to play out his contract *and that the Devils knew that when negotiating* this, by rule, is not cap circumvention.

#5812 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

fvck the NHL...
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#5813 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Someone's going to pay and isn't going to be Lou or Kovy. God this league is just run by morons, isn't it?

Somewhere in Newark, an intern is quietly removing all of the jelly from the office fridges.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#5814 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Unless the NHL finds clear evidence that Kovy does not plan to play out his contract *and that the Devils knew that when negotiating* this, by rule, is not cap circumvention.

but then why can't philadelphia go and sign jeff carter to a 23 year 92 million dollar deal under the same logic. there has to be some kind of control, and the nhl is deciding that here is where it stops. i think it's pretty lol of them to decide that now's the time, but lou would be better served just renegotiating the deal slightly.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5815 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

For the people who would know better -- what exactly happens now? I mean there's no way Kovy ends up not here, after everything thing that has gone on today, right? I'm guessing they will attempt to restructure the deal?

Edited by nmigliore, 20 July 2010 - 09:12 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#5816 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

I agree with that.
Posted Image

#5817 MartysGlove

MartysGlove

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

but then why can't philadelphia go and sign jeff carter to a 23 year 92 million dollar deal under the same logic. there has to be some kind of control, and the nhl is deciding that here is where it stops. i think it's pretty lol of them to decide that now's the time, but lou would be better served just renegotiating the deal slightly.

The control would be not allowing contracts to a player where the player would be asked to play at an age that is *unprecedented* ie. somewhere in the 50s.

The NHL is basically saying it is now illegal for any player to play to age 44.

#5818 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

"has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement or the intention of the parties as reflected by the provisions of this Agreement, including without limitation, provisions with respect to the financial and other reporting obligations of the Clubs and the League, Team Payroll Range, Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System, the Entry Level System and/or Free Agency."

The NHL would say this contract has the effect of circumventing the cap, which we all know it does.

This should have been the leagues move on the very first contract like this that came up. They were asleep at the wheel and now the Devils are being the ones punished, but it doesn't mean the league would lose.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#5819 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

I also agree with that. Best thing here is an out-of-court settlement. Take out the .5 on the 11.5 years and throw it on the back end. League would have no argument there.
Posted Image

#5820 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Wow, I have a feeling this is going to get ugly. Bettman better know damn well what he's doing, because I have a feeling the NHL is going to have a foot up its ass by the time this is done. I don't think Lou is going to change the deal, he will take this to court.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users