2014-15 -- $6.714 million
2015-16 -- $6.714 million
2016-17 -- $6.714 million
2017-18 -- $6.714 million
2018-19 -- $3.382 million
2019-20 -- $1.618 million
2020-21 -- $1 million

2021-22 -- $1 million

the bolded 3 years would violate the apparent 100% rule that was talked about and this was not rejected.

I fail to see what we did wrong that they did right...

#5822 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,949 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

i would make it 15 years but hope to talk kovalchuk down to 95 million. i'm sure he wanted a 9 figure deal, though.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5823 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 24,933 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Why did Lou tell TG he thought it was a stupid contract? He should throw a jelly jar at himself. I thought he was a moron for saying as much but figured they waited since Saturday so the NHL could approve it. or did Lou WANT this to be rejected?

whatever.

If that was the case Vanderbeek would be well within his rights to fire Lou immediately without having to pay any money owed him.

They can't use that against him, he was just saying he didn't agree with it on principle but it's been done before.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#5824 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

DarrenDreger

Kovy's deal was rejected because the NHL doesn't believe either the player or the Devils expected he would be playing near end of deal.

Kovy rejection was based on what may be a classis case of an artificial lowering of the AAV. They can refile, or the PA can grieve...

If the NHLPA grieves the leagues decision, the contract remains dead until an arbitrator decides otherwise.

--------------------

Simpler to just make the contract 15 years than risk the arbiter, I'm guessing.

Get the union after 'em. :cheers: Would be nice if they fought it and won.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#5825 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,328 posts

wat. the marc savard contract unquestionably does this. as does the luongo contract. and those were the only two i looked at. am i missing something?

i don't think it's because of that clause.

That's an incorrect reading of the rule. The increase/decrease is based on the lower of the 1st two years of the contract. You can't decrease more than 50% of the lower of the 1st 2 years. For Kovy's contract that's $3m, and the biggest decrease is 6.5 to 3.5. Contract never violates the 100% rule.
Posted Image

#5826 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

We're the New Jersey Devils.

#5827 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

so its okay when any other team does it? fvck the NHL

93674ff4-a003-44f3-9d43-31f4d50afc6f.jpgecfebb33-4e78-4585-84fd-72e45e3e484d.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#5828 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

the bolded 3 years would violate the apparent 100% rule that was talked about and this was not rejected.

Could be selective enforcement?

It doesn't look like that's what the league had a problem with, but it's another tool they have against contracts they decide they don't like, it seems.

That's an incorrect reading of the rule. The increase/decrease is based on the lower of the 1st two years of the contract. You can't decrease more than 50% of the lower of the 1st 2 years. For Kovy's contract that's $3m, and the biggest decrease is 6.5 to 3.5. Contract never violates the 100% rule.

You could be right, Erat violated the 50% drop rule bet ween 12-13 and 13-14. 1.75 million should have been max drop, not 2 million that happened.

Why call it the 100% rule, it's really the 50% rule?
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#5829 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

This only happened to try and prevent more suicides by LA Kings fans after watching the press conference footage.The NHL realizes they are at fault for putting up the videos on NHL.tv. As soon as they have all the fans on watch, the NHL will announce that the contract is fine and they don't just really hate the Devils and Lou for being just way to awesome. Until then :cheers:

815631765.gif

#5830 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,956 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

So, uh...who wants to take bets that Gary Bettman thinks Intent To Blow is real?

Steve's article from this morning: http://intenttoblow.com/?p=833

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#5831 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

I understand that an arbitrator will decide if it gets disputed, but I don't understand the opinion that the arbitrator will side with the league despite the league showing obvious precedence in the past at allowing these contracts. How can a neutral arbitrator look at the CBA, see that no rules were broken, and then look at past examples, and see that they were all allowed, and then rule against us? It makes no sense.

#5832 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

TG has the most interesting information being reported on the story than the NHL's Cap Guru is now the Devils VP in charge of the team's cap who crafted this deal. It would seem this guy knows the CBA.

#5833 DEV1LDR1VER

DEV1LDR1VER

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

Lou said himself these contracts should not be allowed in the NHL and should be changed in the new CBA, but now is totally legal. I believe he knows what he is doing and this will all be good.
LIVE HARD!

#5834 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

so its okay when any other team does it? fvck the NHL

Seriously, this is major bullsh!t

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#5835 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,590 posts

I understand that an arbitrator will decide if it gets disputed, but I don't understand the opinion that the arbitrator will side with the league despite the league showing obvious precedence in the past at allowing these contracts. How can a neutral arbitrator look at the CBA, see that no rules were broken, and then look at past examples, and see that they were all allowed, and then rule against us? It makes no sense.

The arbiter could look at the wording of the clause, see the NHL gets to decide what salary cap circumvention is, and then say, "well the NHL decided this one is, which is their right". The NHL goes, "hey this guy is older than anyone else and we think it's too old and just their to lower cap hit". The Judge goes, "that seems reasonable enough". Arbiter rules for the NHL.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#5836 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Oh crap I just looked at hockeybuzz and already they have him going to he Rags.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#5837 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

there is two different rules the 50% rule and the 100% rule

the 100% rule states that over a 3 year period of the contract (I will use Luongo's for example) the salary can not drop by 3 times the lowest value so for Luongo's he is paid $1 million in the second to last year, but 2 years previous he was paid $3.375 million which is a violation of the 100% rule

the 50% rule (which seems to be a more strictly enforced rule) states that the lower of the first 2 seasons salary divided by 2 is the greatest amount the contracts value can drop from one year to the next. In Kovalchuk's case, as has been said a few times, his first two years are $6 million so the value from one year to the next can not be any more than $3 million

#5838 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,138 posts

I hope we win the cup and get to BOOOOOOOOO Bettman like fvcking crazy.

#5839 mikeford

mikeford

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

This is gonna be such an incredible sh!tshow if Lou and JVB decide this baby is going to court.

I cant wait. The fun is just getting started. :cheers:

#5840 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

TG has the most interesting information being reported on the story than the NHL's Cap Guru is now the Devils VP in charge of the team's cap who crafted this deal. It would seem this guy knows the CBA.

The problem is, while not violating the letter of the CBA, it violates the spirit, which the league is equally justified in using to not approve.

So the cap guy wouldn't know for sure how the league would look at it, spiritually, since he's not there any more.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users