12374 replies to this topic

#5961 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I mentioned this before, but if it gets restructured, I would be surprised if Kovalchuk doesn't move money around so he wouldn't potentially miss out on one of his big "pay day" years if there's a work stoppage. Maybe tack on a third year of $6mil or $7mil before hitting the $11m range and then descending again in a more even distribution.

I'll also be very interested to see how the NMC and NTC and one-year trade option window are impacted.

the contract wasn't out long enough for us to know whether there were bonuses in the lockout year, but i'm pretty sure there would be.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5962 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

NO WONDER WHY GARY BETTMAN GETS BOOED!!!! IMAGINE THISE YEAR IF HE COMES TO THE PRUDENTIAL CENTER!!!! BUD SELIG APPROVED A-ROD'S DEAL AND THAT WAS 275 MILLION!!!!!

#5963 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted Image

win.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#5964 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

Now if this goes to arbitration, who is the onus on here? The Devils or the NHL? Who has the prove the contract is legitimate or purposefully circumvents the rules? Does evidence of any kind even need to be presented or is simply arguments and the interpretation of the CBA and league rules by the arbitrator? What kinds of things is the arbitrator allowed to take into account? I'm seeing a lot here about court procedure and rules, which doesn't make much sense to me as this is an arbitration not civil court process. How does the arbitration actually work? Anybody have answers?

Well the NHLPA would be the one taking the NHL to the arbiter. I don't believe it really matters who takes who though since it's arbitration, the arbiter will decide who makes the stronger case, it's not a situation of needing a massive amount of evidence to win, one side will just make a better argument that their position is stronger.

Edited by Devils731, 20 July 2010 - 10:29 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#5965 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

"This is within the rules," said Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello to nj.com regarding the contract's validity.

The deal was rejected due to the fact that the NHL does not believe that either Kovalchuk nor the Devils expected the 2004 Rocket Richard trophy winner would be playing near end of the contract and that it is a case of artificially lowering the annual average value of the contract. The Devils must now either file the contract once again or the Players' Association can file a grievance.

Should the NHLPA decide to file a grievance, the contract would remain dead until an arbitrator determines otherwise."

#5966 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

urge to kill rising risingrising!fading...RISING!!!!!

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#5967 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

urge to kill rising risingrising!fading...RISING!!!!!

classic simpsons tree house of horror.

i really hate bettman

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#5968 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

QUICK! SOMEONE SOOTHE OUR HURT AND ANGER WITH SOME SEXY NINJA WOMEN!

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#5969 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

and people wonder why Bettman is booed everywhere he goes... :whistling:

#5970 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

QUICK! SOMEONE SOOTHE OUR HURT AND ANGER WITH SOME SEXY NINJA WOMEN!

Posted Image

not nearly as good as the past ones, but i dont give a f%ck right now, i hate bettman

lets get this guy in here to go kick Bettmans ass, or at least bring him to the hearing for intimidation factors

Posted Image

Edited by jagknife, 20 July 2010 - 10:36 PM.

#5971 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

All this talk of aribters makes me want to go play Halo 2. Unfortunately I don't own the game, nor the system. Oh well.

Back on topic... not looking forward to waking up to all kinds of Jekyll and Hyde articles in newspapers. I'm sure many went to press before this news broke, so we're likely to see some glowing articles in print and some "...wait a second" articles online.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#5972 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

and people wonder why Bettman is booed everywhere he goes... :whistling:

Devils fans and player should use this as motivation. Im hoping we win the cup this year at home

#5973 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

TGfireandice: Considering that Chris Chelios played in the league at 48 and the various other examples of 40-plus players, the NHLPA would have good case

In TG I trust :whistling:

#5974 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

10 more til 300.

haha, and you thought it was over.

#5975 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

if this goes to arb 500 or more could be hit :-(
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#5976 thegame346

thegame346

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Devils fans and player should use this as motivation. Im hoping we win the cup this year at home

I am going to go to that Stanley Cup clinching game with a brick and throw it right at Bettmans tiny little mouse fvck head once he starts talking.

#5977 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

I am going to go to that Stanley Cup clinching game with a brick and throw it right at Bettmans tiny little mouse fvck head once he starts talking.

rather than get arrested, lets hiss the whole time, bring that trend back.

besides, you'd wanna see the cup get hoisted by us anyway and then Kovy check him out of the way to take it from Marty

Edited by jagknife, 20 July 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#5978 acklaw

acklaw

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

Ya, but the concept is the same, one person getting away with something wrong doesn't make you doing something wrong ok.

Going to arbitration is better for the NHLPA, rules are more relaxed so stuff like Hossa's contract will probably hold more weight in arbitration than in a lawsuit.

This actually is much different. The parties will be arguing over the meaning of the terms of a contract. Assuming that the terms are ambiguous, the parties can introduce industry custom to prove their meaning. The Hossa, Pronger, Luongo contracts would be proof of an interpretation favorable to the Devils.

In addition, where a contract is involved, a party can not enforce its terms arbitrarily (it's called the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing).

Maybe this goes to arbitration, but I think it's more likely that Lou/Vanderbeek go to Bettman and ask him where the line is. It gets sticky if the Devils can't live with the cap hit associated with a contract that the NHL will approve.

#5979 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

You know, if there is one thing I wish we did differently, I wish Lou would have kept his mouth shut today. The league can now quote him as saying that the contract is not good for the NHL and should be abolished.

#5980 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

You know, if there is one thing I wish we did differently, I wish Lou would have kept his mouth shut today. The league can now quote him as saying that the contract is not good for the NHL and should be abolished.

they can also quote him saying "it violates no rules"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users