12306 replies to this topic

#6021 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

That seems to be the circumvention that the league is talking about. In years 2020-21 to 21-22 Kovalchuk's salary drops from 3.5 million to .75 million. That is well over the 50% drop allowable from year to year.

That's not how the rule works.

NOTE: this does not mean "change in salary is limited to 50% of the prior year's salary" - it's 50 percent of the lower of the first 2 years of an SPC.
Posted Image

#6022 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,732 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

It isn't? How the hell do you know? Details weren't exactly released.

because there are drops in the pronger, luongo, and savard contracts that are similar, so that cannot be the issue.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6023 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

because there are drops in the pronger, luongo, and savard contracts that are similar, so that cannot be the issue.

Didn't the league also say it was rejected because the contract was an attempt to "circumvent the cap" So obviously that wasn't the problem. Lou is also not that dumb.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#6024 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

Then why were those deals allowed? Are they not breaking the CBA?

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 20 July 2010 - 11:57 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#6025 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

ugh this is going to get ugly and drawn out

for the love of god it just needs to end. we had closure today, and nooooooooo, the freakin league had to take that from us and toss us right back into the suck

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#6026 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

That seems to be the circumvention that the league is talking about. In years 2020-21 to 21-22 Kovalchuk's salary drops from 3.5 million to .75 million. That is well over the 50% drop allowable from year to year.

It isn't? How the hell do you know? Details weren't exactly released.

From everything we hear, the league's view is that neither the Devils nor Kovalchuk believe that he'll play of the life of the contract. Tweaking numbers here and there won't change that. You either have to make the deal a few years shorter, or perhaps up the money paid in the last few years of the deal.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6027 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

this is actually pretty funny

Posted Image

#6028 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

From everything we hear, the league's view is that neither the Devils nor Kovalchuk believe that he'll play of the life of the contract. Tweaking numbers here and there won't change that. You either have to make the deal a few years shorter, or perhaps up the money paid in the last few years of the deal.

You can't up the money in the last few years of the deal without upping the cap hit significantly.

Of course you can't take money away from the early years and add it to the later years because that may very well be money Kovy will never make.

#6029 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

god im so happy this happened to us now

93674ff4-a003-44f3-9d43-31f4d50afc6f.jpgecfebb33-4e78-4585-84fd-72e45e3e484d.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#6030 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

Uping the money in the later years doesn't say he's going to play. If it's a case of believing he won't play, your first solution would be the only possible one.

believe-3devils.jpg

#6031 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

Or there's the simplest explanation that Bettman/NHL are completely full of sh*t, and there is absolutely no MEANINGFUL distinction between Kovalchuk's deal, and any of the rest.

And do you honestly believe that the league would have rejected the reported 15 year $80 million deal that the Kings had on the table. (To answer you ahead of time, the extra two years is a meaningless distinction).

I'm sorry, I've never been one to buy into conspiracies, but this absolutely wreaks of vendetta from the league. If this deal is done by any team that the league likes seeing on tv, there would be no issue.

And the NHL wonders why it isn't taken seriously.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#6032 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

god im so happy this happened to us now

seriously, friggen late night on a week night. and i actually have to go to work tomorrow....er.... this morning..... :doh1:

#6033 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

Uping the money in the later years doesn't say he's going to play. If it's a case of believing he won't play, your first solution would be the only possible one.

Upping the money at the end of the deal gives more of an incentive for Kovalchuk to play out those remaining years, so maybe it could make difference (if you believe what the league is selling, which I don't).
Posted Image

#6034 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

And do you honestly believe that the league would have rejected the reported 15 year $80 million deal that the Kings had on the table. (To answer you ahead of time, the extra two years is a meaningless distinction).

I'm sorry, I've never been one to buy into conspiracies, but this absolutely wreaks of vendetta from the league. If this deal is done by any team that the league likes seeing on tv, there would be no issue.

Well Done Daniel. Score 1 for the Dan team.

#6035 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

Upping the money at the end of the deal gives more of an incentive for Kovalchuk to play out those remaining years, so maybe it could make difference (if you believe what the league is selling, which I don't).

its their cover for the overall message, "we dont want kovy in jersey. he isnt marketable there. he needs a big city with nothing to overshadow him."

#6036 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

its their cover for the overall message, "we dont want kovy in jersey. he isnt marketable there. he needs a big city with nothing to overshadow him."

That's not the meassage. He's staying in NJ. The message is "Let's make things as hard as possible for the Devils just to spite them."

#6037 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

Bite the bullet and take off two years of the contract. 6.8 million cap hit is still a steal considering the cap should be over 75-80 million at the end of this deal.

NHLPA is really going to fight this though.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 21 July 2010 - 12:11 AM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#6038 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

Bite the bullet and take off two years of the contract. 6.8 million cap hit is still a steal considering the cap should be over 75-80 million at the end of this deal.

if 2 years off and a .8 higher cap hit will do it, then fine

but it will take a lot of pride swallowing on our part to concede to that piece of crap

#6039 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

I don't believe in Crosby.....

It does give more incentive for Kovie to play if, and only if, you're taking from the previous years. If the restructured contract has him making the same amount for the first 10 years, there would still be the same amount of incentive as right now.

Just make it $95MM/15 years ($6.3MM annual) and move on....to win the Cup and rub it in (throw it at...perhaps) Bettman's face.

believe-3devils.jpg

#6040 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

It would be pretty ironic if this crap inspired Kovie to begin a freakish conditioning regime, play at an exceptionally high level for the next 17 years, and win 5 or 6 cups, including one in the last year of the deal.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users