NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#6062 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

From everything we hear, the league's view is that neither the Devils nor Kovalchuk believe that he'll play of the life of the contract. Tweaking numbers here and there won't change that. You either have to make the deal a few years shorter, or perhaps up the money paid in the last few years of the deal.

You can't up the money in the last few years of the deal without upping the cap hit significantly.

Of course you can't take money away from the early years and add it to the later years because that may very well be money Kovy will never make.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#6063 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

god im so happy this happened to us now

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#6064 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

From everything we hear, the league's view is that neither the Devils nor Kovalchuk believe that he'll play of the life of the contract. Tweaking numbers here and there won't change that. You either have to make the deal a few years shorter, or perhaps up the money paid in the last few years of the deal.

Uping the money in the later years doesn't say he's going to play. If it's a case of believing he won't play, your first solution would be the only possible one.

believe-3devils.jpg

#6065 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

because there are drops in the pronger, luongo, and savard contracts that are similar, so that cannot be the issue.

Or there's the simplest explanation that Bettman/NHL are completely full of sh*t, and there is absolutely no MEANINGFUL distinction between Kovalchuk's deal, and any of the rest.

And do you honestly believe that the league would have rejected the reported 15 year $80 million deal that the Kings had on the table. (To answer you ahead of time, the extra two years is a meaningless distinction).

I'm sorry, I've never been one to buy into conspiracies, but this absolutely wreaks of vendetta from the league. If this deal is done by any team that the league likes seeing on tv, there would be no issue.

And the NHL wonders why it isn't taken seriously.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6066 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

god im so happy this happened to us now

seriously, friggen late night on a week night. and i actually have to go to work tomorrow....er.... this morning..... :doh1:

#6067 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

Uping the money in the later years doesn't say he's going to play. If it's a case of believing he won't play, your first solution would be the only possible one.

Upping the money at the end of the deal gives more of an incentive for Kovalchuk to play out those remaining years, so maybe it could make difference (if you believe what the league is selling, which I don't).
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6068 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

And do you honestly believe that the league would have rejected the reported 15 year $80 million deal that the Kings had on the table. (To answer you ahead of time, the extra two years is a meaningless distinction).

I'm sorry, I've never been one to buy into conspiracies, but this absolutely wreaks of vendetta from the league. If this deal is done by any team that the league likes seeing on tv, there would be no issue.

Well Done Daniel. Score 1 for the Dan team.

#6069 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

Upping the money at the end of the deal gives more of an incentive for Kovalchuk to play out those remaining years, so maybe it could make difference (if you believe what the league is selling, which I don't).

its their cover for the overall message, "we dont want kovy in jersey. he isnt marketable there. he needs a big city with nothing to overshadow him."

#6070 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

its their cover for the overall message, "we dont want kovy in jersey. he isnt marketable there. he needs a big city with nothing to overshadow him."

That's not the meassage. He's staying in NJ. The message is "Let's make things as hard as possible for the Devils just to spite them."

#6071 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

Bite the bullet and take off two years of the contract. 6.8 million cap hit is still a steal considering the cap should be over 75-80 million at the end of this deal.

NHLPA is really going to fight this though.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 21 July 2010 - 12:11 AM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#6072 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

Bite the bullet and take off two years of the contract. 6.8 million cap hit is still a steal considering the cap should be over 75-80 million at the end of this deal.

if 2 years off and a .8 higher cap hit will do it, then fine

but it will take a lot of pride swallowing on our part to concede to that piece of crap

#6073 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

I don't believe in Crosby.....

It does give more incentive for Kovie to play if, and only if, you're taking from the previous years. If the restructured contract has him making the same amount for the first 10 years, there would still be the same amount of incentive as right now.

Just make it $95MM/15 years ($6.3MM annual) and move on....to win the Cup and rub it in (throw it at...perhaps) Bettman's face.

believe-3devils.jpg

#6074 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

It would be pretty ironic if this crap inspired Kovie to begin a freakish conditioning regime, play at an exceptionally high level for the next 17 years, and win 5 or 6 cups, including one in the last year of the deal.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#6075 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

Or there's the simplest explanation that Bettman/NHL are completely full of sh*t, and there is absolutely no MEANINGFUL distinction between Kovalchuk's deal, and any of the rest.

And the NHL wonders why it isn't taken seriously.

If Pittsburgh gave the same deal, Bettman would be at the press conference in his Pens jersey inappropriately touching Crosby under the table.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#6076 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

:lol:

By this, Lou didn't make a mistake by pointing out the league's loophole, he made a mistake by saying Kovy was a piece of the puzzle....Bettman was like NOOOO....he has to be the center of attention, can't market pieces of a puzzle

believe-3devils.jpg

#6077 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

Just make it $95MM/15 years ($6.3MM annual) and move on....to win the Cup and rub it in (throw it at...perhaps) Bettman's face.

Or we could find something more fitting to throw in his face... :lol: anyone live near a farm?

Edited by Legion15, 21 July 2010 - 12:17 AM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#6078 ClarkyDano23

ClarkyDano23

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

Been meaning to post this, and now seems as good a time as any...

-CD23

"Not one camera, not one reporter. But, guess what? If that kid was hurt, I woulda had everyone in that friggin building in front of my face. Isn't that true? But guess what, no one's hurt, so there's nothing to write about."
-Scott Stevens regarding both, his hit in Game 4 on Sami Kapanen during Round 1 against the Hurricanes in 2001, and the media looking for something to write about

My Youtube Page! - http://www.youtube.com/McKay4429061

My Devils Photos! - http://www.flickr.co...57602625649087/

http://www.pokerroad.com

#6079 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Edit. Post makes no sense now because it was moved.

Edited by ben00rs, 21 July 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#6080 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

It would be pretty ironic if this crap inspired Kovie to begin a freakish conditioning regime, play at an exceptionally high level for the next 17 years, and win 5 or 6 cups, including one in the last year of the deal.

LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users