Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#6062 one trick pony

one trick pony

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:14 AM

Do you guys seriously not understand the issue with Kovy's contract? It's not the term, or his age when the contract ends. It's the structure of the contract. It's designed to give kovy the max payout during his prime years while making the Cap hit per year very low. The last five years of the contract are only there to lower the cap hit. During this time Kovy won't be making any more money than a rookie or journeymen. And given the current CBA, Kovy has the ability to retire BEFORE his contract is over. This contract was intended to circumvent the CBA and the cap. That's the issue here. The rest is irrelevant. What will happen from this? who knows.

I do hope it ends soon though, so the rest of the free agency can continue. I thought we got rid of all this drama when we got rid of Kovy, but even on another team he seems to create drama.

Enjoy his wrister. That's pretty much all he's got. I will NOT miss the times when he floated in the neutral zone only to have some no name rookie skate over to him and steal the puck away, and go skating off on a breakaway. He's very talented when he has the puck, but when he doesn't have it you could easily mistake him for a figure skater the way he skates around in circles. Your goals for are going to increase for sure; but so are your goals against. You can count on it. Don't believe me? Go to Hulu, and watch any number of games and watch him for yourself. He's a floater!

#6063 MartysGlove

MartysGlove

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:52 AM

Do you guys seriously not understand the issue with Kovy's contract? It's not the term, or his age when the contract ends. It's the structure of the contract. It's designed to give kovy the max payout during his prime years while making the Cap hit per year very low. The last five years of the contract are only there to lower the cap hit. During this time Kovy won't be making any more money than a rookie or journeymen. And given the current CBA, Kovy has the ability to retire BEFORE his contract is over. This contract was intended to circumvent the CBA and the cap. That's the issue here. The rest is irrelevant. What will happen from this? who knows.

I do hope it ends soon though, so the rest of the free agency can continue. I thought we got rid of all this drama when we got rid of Kovy, but even on another team he seems to create drama.

Enjoy his wrister. That's pretty much all he's got. I will NOT miss the times when he floated in the neutral zone only to have some no name rookie skate over to him and steal the puck away, and go skating off on a breakaway. He's very talented when he has the puck, but when he doesn't have it you could easily mistake him for a figure skater the way he skates around in circles. Your goals for are going to increase for sure; but so are your goals against. You can count on it. Don't believe me? Go to Hulu, and watch any number of games and watch him for yourself. He's a floater!

Hmmm?

#6064 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:13 AM

The issue is the combination of all the elements. It's the length of the contract, the age when it ends, and the salary structure. People are bitching because the league hasn't complained about deals like this before. Luongo is signed till he's 43 with the last 2 years at $1m. He won't be making any more money than a backup (see: J. Hedberg). The league approved that deal. Can you tell me with a straight face that's not meant to circumvent the cap?

The league made this play because Kovy's contract goes farther than any of these in terms of the term (17 years), age at end (44), and salary in the final years (550k) [edit: actually, Pronger's last 2 years are at 525k]. If this deal were 2 years shorter (even with the aggressive frontloading) the league has a much shakier footing, since there have been multiple approved frontloaded contracts that carry players to age 42.

I'm predicting this turns into a 15 year deal at 95-98m, with the final years at 1m. There is no way the league could reject that considering since it's in line with the Hossa, Pronger, Luongo, Zetterberg, and Franzen deals.

Edited by David Puddy, 21 July 2010 - 03:26 AM.

Posted Image

#6065 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

Here's a 15y/97.5m deal I think would get through:

2@6, 5@11.5, 10.5, 7.5, 4.5, 1.5, 4@1 = 97.5 (AAV 6.5)

Or 15y/95m:

2@6, 5@11.5, 9.5, 7.5, 3.5, 5@1 = 95 (AAV, 6.33)

Frankly due to Pronger's contract I think you could get away with having a few 550k years at the end, just not as many as in this contract. I don't think the Devils are far off from what the league has forced itself to accept. I bet this will be done sooner than we think.

Edited by David Puddy, 21 July 2010 - 03:29 AM.

Posted Image

#6066 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

This is the league posturing for some future situation. the league knows it will not win now as it is not different than other contracts. the NHLPA will grieve this and win.
this is all for show.

#6067 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

this is actually pretty funny

Posted Image

lol nice
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#6068 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:24 AM

I figured if they are having a press conference the league must have approved it. :argh: :doh1: Then all the comments after the press conference. Lou saying he doesn't like these long contracts. Kovy joking he hope he stays in shape when he is 44. :rant: :soap: :angry:

What f'n stupidity. :(
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#6069 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

It really shows the NHL hates the Devils. They do not want them to do well. If the leafs or any other Canadian team offered this deal to kovy it would go through no problem. I am sure Lou and his team will be talking with Bill daly and the NHL and find out why it was rejected I am sure he can alter the deal slightly to make the retards in the NHL happy.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#6070 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

It has little to do with age. Several examples of players in their 40s exist. Recchi's current contract will end when he is 43.
Therefore, I don't believe an arbiter will preclude a contract based upon age.

For Pronger ... 84% of the contract is paid in 57% of the contracts term and has him playing until age 42.
For Hossa ..... 88% of the contract is paid in 58% of the term and also has him playing to age 42.
For Kovy .........93% of the contract is paid in 58% of the term and also has him playing to age 44.
(thanks to a poster on tsn.ca for these facts)

Kovalchuk will remain a Devil.
The Term will remain at 17 years.

The NHL must not like the $550K salary at the end of the deal.
Yet I still think the NHLPA will win.
But to avoid that, the last few years of the contract could be amended.

Recall Lou's entire history (selecting players he knew would not play in order to be able to waive them, injunction against NHL for Schoenfield suspension, Stevens tampering, Dunham eligibility, Malakhov contract)

He's much like my wife, who always says "I don't make the rules, but I play by them"

#6071 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,524 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

If I were Ilya Kovalchuk I would spend all of my cash on "potato" vodka and russian hookers. Not too mention the fact his tone of communication is composed of Kavkaz and Tatarin descent. We call them churkas!

Grrrr... :angry: one of my friends is from there. He told me all about it. I had a feeling Kovalchuk was too. My bud is freaking brilliant. Just effortlessly. Boggles the mind when someone is that smart.

It really shows the NHL hates the Devils. They do not want them to do well. If the leafs or any other Canadian team offered this deal to kovy it would go through no problem. I am sure Lou and his team will be talking with Bill daly and the NHL and find out why it was rejected I am sure he can alter the deal slightly to make the retards in the NHL happy.

I agree. I'm sure they'll all say "but you knwo better Lou" as if he's held to a higher standard.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 21 July 2010 - 06:50 AM.

I'm here for the party

#6072 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

Good for the NHL for taking a stand against these contacts - a way around the cap is all they are.

Blueskirt - you can find numbers to support a way for this to go through, but one can also find numbers against this. In the last 7 years of this 'contract' he will make 7M. As it is now the odds he plays any of those years is very very low - that is 7 years of the damn contract!

What is probably going to happen here is that the Devils will work with the NHL to come up with a reasonable length, the precedent of having guys go to age 42 will come into play and as opposed to having this become a circus/mess.

This contract will probably be 15 or so yrs in length, the last few yrs @ 500K will be replaced by far fewer (2 like the Pronger contract). At the end of the day the Devils will probably front-load the deal more so that the PV is near to what it is now, as well as the cap hit. If it is 6 now, when its all said and done it will still be in the 6M neighborhood.

Also - love the fact that some of you defending this were the same folks crying about the Pronger and Hossa deals! lol!

#6073 rpaq88

rpaq88

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

Good for the NHL for taking a stand against these contacts - a way around the cap is all they are.

Blueskirt - you can find numbers to support a way for this to go through, but one can also find numbers against this. In the last 7 years of this 'contract' he will make 7M. As it is now the odds he plays any of those years is very very low - that is 7 years of the damn contract!

What is probably going to happen here is that the Devils will work with the NHL to come up with a reasonable length, the precedent of having guys go to age 42 will come into play and as opposed to having this become a circus/mess.

This contract will probably be 15 or so yrs in length, the last few yrs @ 500K will be replaced by far fewer (2 like the Pronger contract). At the end of the day the Devils will probably front-load the deal more so that the PV is near to what it is now, as well as the cap hit. If it is 6 now, when its all said and done it will still be in the 6M neighborhood.

Also - love the fact that some of you defending this were the same folks crying about the Pronger and Hossa deals! lol!

But that's the whole point. We didn't like those deals and the NHL approved them. We are defending this based on the precedent set by the NHL. You can't just decide to stop accepting these contracts after 5 or 6 have been done.

#6074 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

For those with XM:

@xmhomeice Ilya Kovalchuk's agent Jay Grossman is scheduled to join Mike Ross tomorrow at 8:05 am ET on NHL Home Ice

Anyone get this?

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#6075 gogonjdevil

gogonjdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:32 AM

ok...I don't know much about caps and salary structure and all the finer points. My question is this: Is it possible now that Kovy doesn't end up being a devil? Can he now decide, for instance, that if he has to take less money to play here, he may as well go to LA?

believe-mb30.jpg
gallery_47_36_882.png of ALL Devil's Fans' Hatred and Animosity toward Bettman!
I HOPE YOU GET A DISFIGURING DISEASE AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE LOOKING LIKE A TROLL, BETTMAN. Oh...TOO LATE!!

#6076 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,566 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

But that's the whole point. We didn't like those deals and the NHL approved them. We are defending this based on the precedent set by the NHL. You can't just decide to stop accepting these contracts after 5 or 6 have been done.

You can and this contract is worse than those ones. If you make this contract more in line with the other contracts then the league would have more trouble deciding to not accept it. So the league is saying those other bad ones squeaked through as acceptable and this contract fell on just the other side of the acceptable line.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6077 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

I don't think any hockey board complains more about Bettman than the Canadiens board. It's like Bettman orders the refs before every game to not call penalities against them :) I think Bettman hates everyone equally that isn't playing in Washington or Pittsburgh.

Any tweets or anything from the Devils or Grossman or anyone else who might have some insight into what happens next here?

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#6078 dejaentendu2101

dejaentendu2101

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

Anyone get this?

He couldn't go on because of this situation.

#6079 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

He couldn't go on because of this situation.

Thanks.

...is your name a Brand New reference?

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#6080 bg.

bg.

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Blueskirt - if I am understanding you correctly your main premise is that if 90% or so of the contract is paid in 58% of the term, all is good. Number are approx...so lets say Chicago signed Towes (age 22) to the following deal...

30 years 140 million (4.7 per)
128 mil (91%) paid in the years 1-17.

This would be ok and not an attempt to get around the salary cap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users