#6681 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

Per TG

Well that's good, I think. Provided it's accurate.

They knew - this is obvious to me. They knew it was probably going to get rejected before the league told them. I think Grossman and Lou have been gameplanning this for a few days now (possibly more) and are fully prepared to fight this. They know exactly what moves they want to make.

Either they know that the NHLPA will file a grievance.

Or they just wanted to give this contract a shot and if it doesn't get accepted in the end, they figured they'd just restructure - which is really not that difficult.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#6682 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Per TG

Well that's good, I think. Provided it's accurate.

While I'd like something more than Gilutti's "understanding", I'm pretty relieved.

for sure. i would say this all but guarantees he's a devil. they all knew that it was a 99% chance the league was going to reject it, but they TOGETHER tried to call the NHL's bluff. now you know why kovy said what he said - specifically about playing the whole 17 years - and why lou said what we all thought was dumb - about the loophole because he's gotta try and fight for his team via a player and still the league as a member of the owners.

if it doesn't work - they'll go the 15/102 route and structure it with the $1MM years at the end as others suggested.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#6683 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

While I'd like something more than Gilutti's "understanding", I'm pretty relieved.

It's in the CBA that both sides get notified, I just forget where. So I don't think the league would under the table inform one and not the other.

Edited by Devils731, 22 July 2010 - 07:29 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6684 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

for sure. i would say this all but guarantees he's a devil. they all knew that it was a 99% chance the league was going to reject it, but they TOGETHER tried to call the NHL's bluff. now you know why kovy said what he said - specifically about playing the whole 17 years - and why lou said what we all thought was dumb - about the loophole because he's gotta try and fight for his team via a player and still the league as a member of the owners.

if it doesn't work - they'll go the 15/102 route and structure it with the $1MM years at the end as others suggested.

Basically exactly what I just said.

And as you said and as I should have added: there is no need to worry whether Kovy will be a Devil or not. Kovy is a Devil period. He made his decision. Just because that exact deal won't go through doesn't mean it won't be easy for the Devils to give him a near equal offer. The offer change will hurt the Devils not Kovy. So this doesn't matter to Kovy.

Edited by ben00rs, 22 July 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#6685 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

And as you said and as I should have added: there is no need to worry whether Kovy will be a Devil or not. Kovy is a Devil period. He made his decision.

Amen to that brother!

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#6686 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

It's in the CBA that both sides get notified, I just forget where. So I don't think the league would under the table inform one and not the other.

I would imagine the CBA provision you're looking at deals with "official" notice. It appears that the NHL gave an unofficial heads up to Lou on Monday night if the reports are correct.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6687 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

That's the best news we could have gotten. Grossman and Kovalchuk were ready for the rejection and knew the stakes. They are in this together with us. I'd have to say that at this point in time, it's the best news we could hope for.

#6688 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

I would imagine the CBA provision you're looking at deals with "official" notice. It appears that the NHL gave an unofficial heads up to Lou on Monday night if the reports are correct.

Right, so as I said I don't think the NHL would give under the table notice to one and not the other, since officially they have to give notice to both when it really goes down. The NHL would have wanted either party to back away from signing it at that point.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6689 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

For those who care, short run down of Hradek interview...

Believes (hasn't heard) NHLPA will appeal decision, perhaps tomorrow. Didn't say he knew one way or the other whether a revised deal is being discussed. Believes that if goes to arbitration, arbitrator will approve the deal based on league approval of similar deals. Noted that one side could slow down the arbitration because of no system arbitrator if it wanted to. Ownership/Lou is accutely aware that deal with Kovalchuk needs to take into account ability of re-signing Parise.

In short, nothing particularly interesting.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6690 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

I don't like how this thread has reverted to hockey talk
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#6691 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUICK, WHERE'S GHDI WITH A NEW SEXY NINJA?!

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#6692 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

it's sickening really :razz:
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#6693 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

QUICK, WHERE'S GHDI WITH A NEW SEXY NINJA?!

I'm probably in the minority alone here but I think the ninja thing is stupid...I seriously would rather watch Islanders highlights.

Let the onlslaught commence...

#6694 hobgoblin933

hobgoblin933

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

I'm probably in the minority alone here but I think the ninja thing is stupid...I seriously would rather watch Islanders highlights.

Let the onlslaught commence...

i agree

#6695 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Can't fathom why Lou, Vanderbeek, Grossman, and Kovy would go ahead and sign and announce a deal they knew would be rejected? What is the method to the madness? When will it end?
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#6696 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

i agree

:yay: I'm not alone.

#6697 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Can't fathom why Lou, Vanderbeek, Grossman, and Kovy would go ahead and sign and announce a deal they knew would be rejected? What is the method to the madness? When will it end?

There are two possible reasons they did this:

A. They decided to try and bluff the league on the off-chance it would be approved. The consequences for getting rejected are minimal to non-existent. Now the Devils can just make a new offer.

B. They have a plan and figure they can beat the league's ruling and get the contract approved.

#6698 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

That's the best news we could have gotten. Grossman and Kovalchuk were ready for the rejection and knew the stakes. They are in this together with us. I'd have to say that at this point in time, it's the best news we could hope for.

No doubt- that's the news I've been hoping to hear since this whole process began. I feel much better.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#6699 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

No more Kovalchuk is a Devil for life on the Devils website :unsure:
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#6700 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

No more Kovalchuk is a Devil for life on the Devils website :unsure:

:rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users