12374 replies to this topic

#6841 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

Yeah. Marty looks like he has a little deformed hand like Chris Elliot in Scary Movie 2.

another great movie... haha "take my good hand" and "my germs"

#6842 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

edmonton got violently outchanced in 2006 and they haven't been close to a stanley cup since. have they even made the playoffs since then? please don't say that was just because of pronger - pronger helped, certainly, he's an outstanding player. still, they ran hot on shooting percentage for 20 games and ended up in a stanley cup final, it happens. carolina was also not a particularly great team but also got some puck luck and took advantage of a very weak eastern conference lineup - they didn't even have to face ottawa, who were absolutely dominant that season. so yes, you can make it to the finals, with exceptional luck, when your team doesn't have star players, but good luck winning it all.

I don't discount luck completely, but if Ottawa were truly dominant, they would have done it when it counts. Which also proves my point. Two non-superstar teams sometimes get better results in the playoffs than superstar teams.

Look, I'm not one of these people who buys into staying away from superstar players because they're not "team players" or lack some other vague quality to their game. It's just that you don't necessarily need to have one for post-season success, even post lockout.

Edited by Daniel, 23 July 2010 - 02:23 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6843 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Posted Image

That Big'ole glass house in the background is my HQ.

I didn't get to see the interview, but I assume "this is team" is a quote from Kovy. What context was it in? I see people posting about but I'm not quite sure what he meant by it.

He was just talking about how/why this is the place to be. The link below takes you to the vid

http://video.nhl.com...id=616&id=74052

for anyone who just wants to see the conference and doesn't have time to search through the previous pages. Posted Image

Edited by Masked Fan, 23 July 2010 - 02:30 PM.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#6844 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Look, I'm not one of these people who buys into staying away from superstar players because they're not "team players" or lack some other vague quality to their game. It's just that you don't necessarily need to have one for post-season success, even post lockout.

I've always been of the belief that the most pivotal aspect in Stanley Cup playoff success is simply getting hot at the right time. Having as much talent as possible with the best system for those players in place just helps your odds of being that hot team or ekeing out a win despite a cold streak. You don't need to have the most talented team, but it sure as hell can't hurt.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#6845 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

I don't discount luck completely, but if Ottawa were truly dominant, they would have done it when it counts. Which also proves my point. Two non-superstar teams sometimes get better results in the playoffs than superstar teams.

because they got lucky, not because they were the better team. you're of course begging the question here, but you know that. if they were truly dominant, dominik hasek wouldn't've gotten hurt - hasek was having a ridiculous, ridiculous season.

right, you just need a substantial dose of luck when your top line gets outshot and outplayed by the opponent's top line, which is absolutely inevitable when you don't have guys like bobby holik who can just drape himself all over the team's top center.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6846 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Well if nothing else I think kovy is perfectly capable of being a puzzle piece on a team rather than the star. He had to be a star in Atlanta because they didnt really have the talent. here, at least toward the very end of the season, he started showing signs of settling down and realizing the pressure wasnt all on him to carry the team. hes still going to be a dangerous guy offensively.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#6847 gogonjdevil

gogonjdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

That Big'ole glass house in the background is my HQ.

He was just talking about how/why this is the place to be. The link below takes you to the vid

Thanks

believe-mb30.jpg
gallery_47_36_882.png of ALL Devil's Fans' Hatred and Animosity toward Bettman!
I HOPE YOU GET A DISFIGURING DISEASE AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE LOOKING LIKE A TROLL, BETTMAN. Oh...TOO LATE!!

#6848 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

because they got lucky, not because they were the better team. you're of course begging the question here, but you know that. if they were truly dominant, dominik hasek wouldn't've gotten hurt - hasek was having a ridiculous, ridiculous season.

right, you just need a substantial dose of luck when your top line gets outshot and outplayed by the opponent's top line, which is absolutely inevitable when you don't have guys like bobby holik who can just drape himself all over the team's top center.

By luck I'm not talking about injuries, which of course can reverse the fortunes of an otherwise dominant team very quickly. I'm talking about claims that, we hit a lot of posts, we got a bad call, the bounces didn't go our way, etc., but we're still a better team. Make your own luck by converting on your chances, not taking dumb penalties, playing well on your penalty kill. "Dominating play" is not a statistic that counts, or even has any meaning.

Saying a team got "outplayed" but still won, especially in a seven game series, where the law of averages would say that the better team should win is utter nonsense.

Edited by Daniel, 23 July 2010 - 03:24 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6849 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

By luck I'm not talking about injuries, which of course can reverse the fortunes of an otherwise dominant team very quickly. I'm talking about claims that, we hit a lot of posts, we got a bad call, the bounces didn't go our way, etc., but we're still a better team. Make your own luck by converting on your chances, not taking dumb penalties, playing well on your penalty kill. "Dominating play" is not a statistic that counts, or even has any meaning.

Saying a team got "outplayed" but still won, especially in a seven game series, where the law of averages would say that the better team should win is utter nonsense.

Saying the law of averages can hold large sway in a 4-5-6-7 game series doesn't ring true to me. One guy having a shooting percentage of 35% for a series can be enough good fortune to change a whole series. If a series only last 4 games then there could be an enormous amount of luck involved, 7 games isn't much better.

Obviously 2 games is better than 1, and 3 is better than both, etc... but there can be a huge amount of luck in a series still.

Edited by Devils731, 23 July 2010 - 03:31 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6850 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

I wish they would announce that NHLPA is going to fight it already. There is so much still to do with trading (hopefully Rolston) or and Salvador. Just seems like everyone has stopped talking the silence is weird!

#6851 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

one of my fav videos :cheers:

#6852 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

The greatest thing about that video, aside from Kovy going berserk on Avery, is Brodeur heckling Avery while he is getting pounded into the ice. Usually Brodeur just starts skating around and drinks some water during fights, but you could tell this one got him riled up.

#6853 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

lol, the law of average doesn't hold over 100 games in some instances. gimme a break. a 7 game series is nothing.

dominating play correlates with winning games. sometimes it doesn't win games. that doesn't change the fact that it wins more often than not, and teams who decide to adopt a strategy that doesn't win more often than not, well, good is good when good's the best that can be expected.

Edited by Triumph, 23 July 2010 - 03:54 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6854 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVvaQk5sBNM&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_stronger_r2-2r-14-HM&videos=NdY9Nr6nARs

Kovy's good but he's no Alexander Semin when it comes to dropping the gloves. :boogie:

Edited by CarpathianForest, 23 July 2010 - 03:52 PM.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#6855 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Kovy's good but he's no Alexander Semin when it comes to dropping the gloves. :boogie:

I just like the video because it was like his second or third game as a devil and he was sticking up for marty....and avery sucks

#6856 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I just like the video because it was like his second or third game as a devil and he was sticking up for marty....and avery sucks

I wasn't serious. Have you seen the, ahem, scrap between Semin and I think Marc Staal?

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#6857 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

I wasn't serious. Have you seen the, ahem, scrap between Semin and I think Marc Staal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I01Ncx4VSno

hahahaha and i know you werent serious i was just saying. I shouldnt have quoted you in the first place

Edited by lilgriffey84, 23 July 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#6858 Devs4LordStanley

Devs4LordStanley

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I01Ncx4VSno

hahahaha and i know you werent serious i was just saying. I shouldnt have quoted you in the first place

lmao..if kovy does that, i,i,i,i,i don't know :saddevil:

Let's Go Devils!

@NTylerNJD

#6859 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I01Ncx4VSno"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=I01Ncx4VSno[/url]

OMG, I never saw that before - that is way too funny! LOL

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#6860 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

One agent said "Why dont they suck it up and be men and accept that they screwed up"

Comments from winters who negotiated the hossa deal. Dont know if this has been posted already

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users