#6862 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I01Ncx4VSno

hahahaha and i know you werent serious i was just saying. I shouldnt have quoted you in the first place

it looks like a poorly scripted wwe match

#6863 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

lol, the law of average doesn't hold over 100 games in some instances. gimme a break. a 7 game series is nothing.

dominating play correlates with winning games. sometimes it doesn't win games. that doesn't change the fact that it wins more often than not, and teams who decide to adopt a strategy that doesn't win more often than not, well, good is good when good's the best that can be expected.

Again, this mushy "dominating play" has no meaning at all. If you're getting a lot of glorious chances, but you can't put the puck in the net, you're not dominating anything that matters. Being able to finish, has just as much, if not more, to do with "dominating play" than anything else does.

You can out-chance the other team 20 to 3. If the other team ends up winning though, they're doing something right, and you're doing something wrong. That holds even more true over the course of a seven game series.

And so far as law of averages goes, you maybe can win/lose a game here or there on a funky bounce, an Ed Hockulee-esque blown call, something like that. It's not going to happen in all four of your losses in a playoff series.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6864 Chambers Scored Twice

Chambers Scored Twice

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

lmao..if kovy does that, i,i,i,i,i don't know :saddevil:

Don't worry bud, Kovy's alright when it comes to a scrap. In every sense.

Kovy's first fight

vs. McCabe

I remember reading McCabe's interview after that...he said he might have given Kovy a bit of slack to begin with as he couldn't quite believe what was going on, but quickly realised he had to 'give it his all'. I'll try and dig that interview out. It was in the (Miami) Herald.

Posted Image
Of Timo Blomqvist
Of Janne Ojanen
Of Esa Tikkanen
Posted Image

#6865 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Ooh but there was a clip of Gomez getting a good shot in on Ilya -- well good == Kovalchuk has a score to settle with the little jerk

:unsure: did you all catch that? :saddevil: It snuck out... my inner Chico :unsure:

I'm here for the party

#6866 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

Again, this mushy "dominating play" has no meaning at all. If you're getting a lot of glorious chances, but you can't put the puck in the net, you're not dominating anything that matters. Being able to finish, has just as much, if not more, to do with "dominating play" than anything else does.

You can out-chance the other team 20 to 3. If the other team ends up winning though, they're doing something right, and you're doing something wrong. That holds even more true over the course of a seven game series.

And so far as law of averages goes, you maybe can win/lose a game here or there on a funky bounce, an Ed Hockulee-esque blown call, something like that. It's not going to happen in all four of your losses in a playoff series.

you're just incorrect about this. you don't understand the way that we can understand chance events through probability, or the non-repeatability of certain events (which is much of what i characterize as 'luck' - 'luck' is a loaded word, so i can't blame people for not understanding what i mean by it). nothing will explain it to you, and you're using absurd outliers to drive home your 'position'.

here's a hint: what could possibly separate a group of NHL players who outchance another given NHL team 20 to 3 from all other hockey teams who have outchanced any other NHL team 20 to 3? when you understand that the answer to this is 'very little', perhaps you'll have nudged slightly closer to understanding what i am talking about.

goal scoring is fundamentally chance-related. the key is getting MORE chances, thus bending luck to your favor.

Edited by Triumph, 23 July 2010 - 06:12 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6867 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

Kovy is a pretty big dude what is he like 6'3 230

#6868 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Time for crazy rambling...

Goaltending is based on probability a whole lot. You want to cover as much net as possible, and be in the position the puck is likely to come. Great goal scorers get the goalie to move and beat him in transition. With a sniper, if a goalie is covering 90% of the net, the sniper is accurate enough to hit the open 10% forcing the goalie to make a reaction save.

If a team is CONSISTENTLY outchancing its opponents, "they're doing something right" could be as simple as the goalie making reaction saves to bail out his defense, or it could be "you're doing something wrong" and your shooters are not accurate enough to hit the open net, forcing the goalie to move. If you are consistently outchancing your opponents, it means you are playing a solid positional game. At that point it comes down to skill and execution.
Posted Image

#6869 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

here's a hint: what could possibly separate a group of NHL players who outchance another given NHL team 20 to 3 from all other hockey teams who have outchanced any other NHL team 20 to 3? when you understand that the answer to this is 'very little', perhaps you'll have nudged slightly closer to understanding what i am talking about.

Obviously more can separate them than you think, since the team that dominates play sometimes will lose a seven game series, or team that gets dominated will win. Yes, you're right, it won't happen as often as it doesn't, but it does, and probably more often than you're giving it credit for. And plenty of teams will advance far in the playoffs that don't follow the formula (having more dynamic scorers or superstars than the other guy) that I originally wrote wasn't the end all be all of success in the post lock out league, and vice versa.

And by the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6w4eIQuhac

Edited by Daniel, 23 July 2010 - 07:08 PM.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#6870 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

"You've probably read it" :giggle:

:lol: :rofl: I'm so childish!

Edited by Pepperkorn, 23 July 2010 - 08:35 PM.

I'm here for the party

#6871 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Obviously more can separate them than you think, since the team that dominates play sometimes will lose a seven game series, or team that gets dominated will win. Yes, you're right, it won't happen as often as it doesn't, but it does, and probably more often than you're giving it credit for. And plenty of teams will advance far in the playoffs that don't follow the formula (having more dynamic scorers or superstars than the other guy) that I originally wrote wasn't the end all be all of success in the post lock out league, and vice versa.

And by the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6w4eIQuhac

the fact that you color the idea with 'be all end all' shows you're not understanding what i'm saying or deliberately misunderstanding. you can win without superstars. it's just difficult, and very likely involves good fortune.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6872 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

the fact that you color the idea with 'be all end all' shows you're not understanding what i'm saying or deliberately misunderstanding. you can win without superstars. it's just difficult, and very likely involves good fortune.

"Be all end all" was a response to someone else's post, way back. I used as a counter-example to that post was the Carolina/Edmonton finals, and other SC playoffs where undynamic teams have done better than more dynamic ones. You jumped in and said I was wrong on that point, so I assume you agreed with what the other guy wrote. Ok, so we're on the same page, and probably aren't disagreeing about all that much here.
Posted Image

#6873 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Don't worry bud, Kovy's alright when it comes to a scrap. In every sense.

Kovy's first fight

vs. McCabe

I remember reading McCabe's interview after that...he said he might have given Kovy a bit of slack to begin with as he couldn't quite believe what was going on, but quickly realised he had to 'give it his all'. I'll try and dig that interview out. It was in the (Miami) Herald.

That first fight was against Mr. Hillary Duff!!
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#6874 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

where's the video of his fight against some Swiss guy in an international game. :lol: the guy basically turned his back and tried to get away

#6875 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

That first fight was against Mr. Hillary Duff!!

my favorite part of the mccabe fight is that he took off his helmet right away, thus removing the visor so mccabe had no reason not to go. that and the pumping the crowd up, just freaking awesome.

freakin crosby wanted to fight i think scott thornton from boston, and thornton said "i will when you take off that visor you_____" so rather than strip off the helmet, he goes to the bench, takes it off, then goes after thornton right in the middle of a rush by the bruins to tie the game. then certain sports writers blew crosby saying he's a tough guy and thornton got cold feet.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#6876 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

i can't wait to see Kovy destroy Gay-very this season. That douche loves to mess with the big dogs, first Marty, now Kovy. He'll never learn :lol:

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#6877 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

In other news I enjoyed looking at this picture of Sean Avery bleeding so much that I made it my Avatar.

815631765.gif

#6878 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

I think Crosby will eventually grow a pair, or at least be able to succesfully fake it. When Mario was playing he didn't whine a single time, and Gretzky was twice the cry baby Crosby is now back in the day. Crosby will toughen up in the future, I'm certain of that.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#6879 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

When Mario was playing he didn't whine a single time

I could be wrong since I was young but wasn't he one of the original spokesmen of anti-clutching/grabbing? I remember him bitching every time someone played defense.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#6880 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:28 AM

Since I can't imagine reading this whole thread to see if this has already been posted, this is from downgoesbrown.com:
Posted Image
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users