12374 replies to this topic

#6921 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

well if he is serious about being a devil, and wants to prove it's not for the money -at least not totally- then it'd be in his best interest to be prepared to accept a smaller sum, should it come to that. we'd then have proof that he was serious when he said "this is team".

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#6922 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:23 AM

i am not worried. i have a feeling he is going to be a Devil :burn:

#6923 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

All I'm saying is, this better be official before the Ice Jerseys Summer Sale is over. I want to get my Kovy jersey!
Bettman, not only are you pissing me off, but you are now costing me money...Sh-thead.

Edited by mmajeski06, 25 July 2010 - 12:50 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6924 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

Posted Image

Because this thread has been lacking this lately. And because there is nothing new going on.

Edited by mmajeski06, 25 July 2010 - 12:59 AM.

#6925 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

I don't know about that...If Kovy signs it, Ebay might not allow it.

Find an Arbitor were going the hard way. :P
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#6926 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,884 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

I don't know about that...If Kovy signs it, Ebay might not allow it.

Clearly, the signing of a 347-page thread is in violation of the CBA. It's right next to the clause about 17-year contracts.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#6927 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

Posted Image

Because this thread has been lacking this lately. And because there is nothing new going on.

Love how the Ninja cast no shadow, sexy.

815631765.gif

#6928 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

ESPN SportsNation Poll on the Kovalchuk contract... I found it on a Devils Blog

SportsNation Poll Map

Screw ESPN :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#6929 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

This from the NY Post:

NHL could fine Devils for Ilya deal

http://www.nypost.co...q39al96Nmvg6d9J

A league source said the NHL is not threatening, but also not dismissing the possibility that the Devils might be liable for a fine of at least $1 million. The fine could go up to $5 million should an arbitrator finds that their $102 million, 17-year contract is indeed a circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement.

Edited by Rock, 25 July 2010 - 09:47 AM.

Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#6930 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

This from the NY Post:

A league source said the NHL is not threatening, but also not dismissing the possibility that the Devils might be liable for a fine of at least $1 million. The fine could go up to $5 million should an arbitrator finds that their $102 million, 17-year contract is indeed a circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement.

Legal Maneuvering and posturing. The arbitrator, more than likely, will prevent this from happening in his settlement
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#6931 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

This From Brooks - NY Post

Bettman’s Kovalchuk prosecution merely a temper tantrum

http://www.nypost.co...ECwc5Mu0780RP4I

Bettman's ill-advised quest to impose a one-size-fits-all cap onto 30 teams with varying needs and constituencies is in tatters. The Kovalchuk contract, which meets every legal standard outlined in the collective bargaining agreement, is merely the latest example of a powerful team acting creatively in order to keep as much of its personnel intact as possible.

This case isn't about big market vs. small market, not with the Devils ranking between 13th and 16th in league revenues, though that's the umbrella under which the commissioner fights every battle. This one is simply about Bettman stamping his feet in a temper tantrum and using his power to force a moribund NHLPA to gear up and fight a fight it may or may not be prepared to wage.

The NHL hard-cap CBA doesn't necessarily discriminate against big-market clubs, it discriminates against successful clubs. The Devils aren't good because they have a high payroll, they have a high payroll because they've been a standard of excellence since the early '90s. The same applies to franchises like Detroit and Philadelphia, teams with ownerships that desperately want to win.

Edited by Rock, 25 July 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#6932 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

This From Brooks - NY Post

Bettman’s Kovalchuk prosecution merely a temper tantrum

http://www.nypost.co...ECwc5Mu0780RP4I

Bettman's ill-advised quest to impose a one-size-fits-all cap onto 30 teams with varying needs and constituencies is in tatters. The Kovalchuk contract, which meets every legal standard outlined in the collective bargaining agreement, is merely the latest example of a powerful team acting creatively in order to keep as much of its personnel intact as possible.

This case isn't about big market vs. small market, not with the Devils ranking between 13th and 16th in league revenues, though that's the umbrella under which the commissioner fights every battle. This one is simply about Bettman stamping his feet in a temper tantrum and using his power to force a moribund NHLPA to gear up and fight a fight it may or may not be prepared to wage.

The NHL hard-cap CBA doesn't necessarily discriminate against big-market clubs, it discriminates against successful clubs. The Devils aren't good because they have a high payroll, they have a high payroll because they've been a standard of excellence since the early '90s. The same applies to franchises like Detroit and Philadelphia, teams with ownerships that desperately want to win.

Sometimes children get their way when they have a tempter tantrum. Hopefully this isn't one of those times.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6933 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

This from Slam Sports:
http://slam.canoe.ca...4/14819231.html

What the Devil was he thinking?

Considering Lamoriello’s close professional relationship with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his right hand man, Bill Daly, it’s almost impossible to imagine that Lamoriello didn’t know the league would object to the more than $100 million contract. In fact, many believe Lamoriello would have made the league aware of the deal before going public with the details.

Which begs the question: What exactly is Lamoriello’s game here?

#6934 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

This from the NY Post:

Legal Maneuvering and posturing. The arbitrator, more than likely, will prevent this from happening in his settlement

Yeah, that's really desperate and low of Bettman. The NHL has a lot to lose here though; if Kovy's contract goes through then anything ecen the slightest bit less will need to be approved simply on Kovy's precedent. Lots of teams might decide to lock up all their talent right now before the new CBA comes in and the NHL wouldn't be able to do anything about it. The whole mess has a lot of repurcussions and it will be really intersting to see how this all plays out.

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#6935 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

This from Slam Sports:
http://slam.canoe.ca...4/14819231.html

What the Devil was he thinking?

Considering Lamoriello’s close professional relationship with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his right hand man, Bill Daly, it’s almost impossible to imagine that Lamoriello didn’t know the league would object to the more than $100 million contract. In fact, many believe Lamoriello would have made the league aware of the deal before going public with the details.

Which begs the question: What exactly is Lamoriello’s game here?

I think the guy is close, but not touching. For example this bit "Lamoriello is a league guy and a loyalist if nothing else" sort of forgets that that "nothing else"he speaks of includes a paid employee opf the New Jersey Devils. I guess "Lamoriello is a New Jersey Devil first, and a league guy and loyalist second" sinks his whole point though.

Well, off to the Flyer's SkateZone for two hours on ice with my son :)

Edited by jim777, 25 July 2010 - 11:16 AM.

believe-elias.jpg

#6936 Chambers Scored Twice

Chambers Scored Twice

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Had a look and couldn't see that anybody had linked this yet, so here goes.

Decent piece. Nothing really new there, but encouraging to see that not everyone is bashing Lou and the Devils.

John Jasper blog

Posted Image
Of Timo Blomqvist
Of Janne Ojanen
Of Esa Tikkanen
Posted Image

#6937 Stolen

Stolen

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

Look at the Devils Roster. Kovy is on it. Now look at his contract. Back at the Roster. Kovy is gone. So is the contract. I'm on a horse.

#6938 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Look at the Devils Roster. Kovy is on it. Now look at his contract. Back at the Roster. Kovy is gone. So is the contract. I'm on a horse.

:giggle: Excellent!
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#6939 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

THAT.

WAS.

AWESOME!

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#6940 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

One of the best posts in this entire thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users