12374 replies to this topic

#7041 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

NHL certainly has a lot of credibility to lose before the arbitrator if it's obvious they're dragging their feet. If worst comes to worst, the NHLPA could go to court to force the NHL to fish or cut bait by a firm deadline, or, if it really wanted to be bold, request that the court to rule the contract is valid as a remedy for the NHL's failure to arbitrate.

Puck Daddy says each side is submitting a list of three arbitrators. Not clear on how the aribtrator is eventually chosen from the list.

Who are they submitting it to? Each other? Or is there a third party that's holding this in escrow like some mortgage company?

I think Puck Daddy is probably accurate. They're all saying stuff that makes us think that this resolves with all due haste, but in reality they can't decide on which donuts and coffee to have for the arbitor picking hearing. I'm with Tri on this one; about a month or so before this gets resolved. Worse if they have some kind of reality show to figure out who's the arbitor. "Mr. Namtteb, you are the weakest link, goodbye."
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#7042 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

In Space.

Well done sir. That got a good laugh out of me.
Posted Image Posted Image

#7043 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Worse if they have some kind of reality show to figure out who's the arbitor. "Mr. Namtteb, you are the weakest link, goodbye."

That would be brilliant. You could call it "Kovy Stay Or Kovy Go?". This is, of course, the next logical step after "Ilya Gonna Go My Way?" and "Klusterchuk 2010".

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#7044 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Could you add the dates the Kings dropped out, got back in, dropped out, and got back in?

if you find it for me
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#7045 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

I have to say, if we lose, this can get very ugly. Bettman can cause all kinds of very serious damage should the NHL win, and seeing as how he absolutely loves the Devils ( :whistling: ), I have no doubt he will use every one of the abilities given to him under the CBA. He can impose up to a $5M fine on the Devils, which counts against the cap, plus another $1M fine on Kovalchuk. As if that weren't enough, he can also take draft picks away.

#7046 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Who are they submitting it to? Each other? Or is there a third party that's holding this in escrow like some mortgage company?

I think Puck Daddy is probably accurate. They're all saying stuff that makes us think that this resolves with all due haste, but in reality they can't decide on which donuts and coffee to have for the arbitor picking hearing. I'm with Tri on this one; about a month or so before this gets resolved. Worse if they have some kind of reality show to figure out who's the arbitor. "Mr. Namtteb, you are the weakest link, goodbye."

Ordinarily, a third-party, like the American Arbitration Association, will come up with a list of arbitrators for the parties to choose from. Each side ranks the arbitrators, and the Association will choose pursuant to some formula.

Thinking about it a bit more, my guess is that Puck Dadddy's source is either wrong or there was some miscommunication, otherwise the process doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's highly unlikely that the lists will overlap. So presumably if each side were ranking all six, the 3 the other side chose would necessarily be at the bottom. Unless the goal is to just get six names, and pick one at random. A coin-flip like process like that doesn't seem right though.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#7047 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Thinking about it a bit more, my guess is that Puck Dadddy's source is either wrong or there was some miscommunication, otherwise the process doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's highly unlikely that the lists will overlap. So presumably if each side were ranking all six, the 3 the other side chose would necessarily be at the bottom. Unless the goal is to just get six names, and pick one at random. A coin-flip like process like that doesn't seem right though.

Why start making sense now though?

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#7048 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

i find it funny that if the devils are wrong they can lose money and and cap space and picks, but if the nhl is wrong contract goes through and thats it. the nhl has nothing to lose here that why they did it

#7049 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hey you guys!! DarrenDreg... :unsure:

nevermind :evil:

Posted Image

Sloth loves (Koval)Chuk.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#7050 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have to say, if we lose, this can get very ugly. Bettman can cause all kinds of very serious damage should the NHL win, and seeing as how he absolutely loves the Devils ( :whistling: ), I have no doubt he will use every one of the abilities given to him under the CBA. He can impose up to a $5M fine on the Devils, which counts against the cap, plus another $1M fine on Kovalchuk. As if that weren't enough, he can also take draft picks away.

everything you read says there is almost no chance of this. furthermore, i'd bet that JVB would sue the league if they pursued this anymore. while the media coverage is something, the league doesn't want to make this a marquee public thing. winning in arbitration would be MORE than enough for the league because they would've gotten their unofficial cap on contract length.

the NHL wants kovalchuk playing and for a full season- regardless of team. the worst case scenario is that he signs an altered deal that's like 15/100 w/ NJ.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#7051 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

I can't wait for this to end. I won't be shocked it this takes to mid to late August but I hope it moves quickly. While I still believe the Devils and Kovalchuk will come out on top there is that tiny bit of doubt that is making me nervous about this getting rejected and the Devils facing fines/reduced salary cap/loss of picks.

Go Devils, NHLPA, and Kovalchuk!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#7052 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

I created a time-line/synopsis at the beginning of this thread

can every one check it out and make sure it looks good?

thanks

http://www.njdevs.co...ndpost&p=898502

Good summation, although I think the order should be reversed, so if one were to read if from top to bottom, it would start with the rumor and end with the arbitration.

Also, some quick links to where each milestone began would be excellent. That way, if you want to jump to where the Kovy signing was first announced, you could just get there without slogging through the thread. While I can't do it now, I'll offer to wade through the thread tonight and collect those links for you to add with your divine admin powers.

Let's be fair, an epic thread deserves epic treatment.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#7053 mugsywwiii

mugsywwiii

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

They're submitting them to an arbitrator who will decide which arbitrator they should use.

#7054 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Well our season starts now! lol
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#7055 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

I have a bad feeling about all of this. Looking at the possible punishments that TG listed (if we lose) it will be bad. Just imagining the sh-t eating grin on Bettman's face as he takes away draft picks, fines Lou and Kovy, and takes more from our cap, pisses me off.
Posted Image Posted Image

#7056 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I created a time-line/synopsis at the beginning of this thread

can every one check it out and make sure it looks good?

thanks

http://www.njdevs.co...ndpost&p=898502

There's no mention of lawns being mowed anywhere? ;)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#7057 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

the devils will not get fined for this, TG is just stirring stuff up like he's good at

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#7058 mugsywwiii

mugsywwiii

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

if you find it for me

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5363951

Looks like
Out: July 4
In: July 7
Out: July 8
In: July 11? http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5372277

#7059 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

the devils will not get fined for this, TG is just stirring stuff up like he's good at

I wouldn't put anything past this league right now...though I do agree it's unlikely any penalties get imposed, I'm guessing those are outlined in the CBA basically for either repeat offenders or if there happens to be a smoking gun that comes out in the hearing (which there almost surely won't be) like a taped conversation that Kovy says he's not playing till he's 44.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#7060 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

I believe the loss of picks and such would be the result of an investigation into already approved contacts, like the Devils rented him a mansion for $1 a month and didn't count it towards his salary or hired his wife for 1Mil per year as a secretary or something - that sort of thing. I don't think they can charge you draft picks and millions of dollars because you put forth a straightforward contract to the league for approval and they said no.

The big fines are for actual circumvention - not planning on doing something and asking permission and being told no.

Edited by jim777, 26 July 2010 - 04:12 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users