12374 replies to this topic

#7061 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

They're submitting them to an arbitrator who will decide which arbitrator they should use.

But...but how do we decide on the arbiter for the arbiter, and the arbiter for that decision, and the arbiter for the arbitor for the pizza order, and the arbi..... :headless chicken: :headless chicken: :headless chicken:
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#7062 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5363951

Looks like
Out: July 4
In: July 7
Out: July 8
In: July 11? http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5372277

thanks I will update as soon as we fix the editing on the thread ... there is a bug

Good summation, although I think the order should be reversed, so if one were to read if from top to bottom, it would start with the rumor and end with the arbitration.

Also, some quick links to where each milestone began would be excellent. That way, if you want to jump to where the Kovy signing was first announced, you could just get there without slogging through the thread. While I can't do it now, I'll offer to wade through the thread tonight and collect those links for you to add with your divine admin powers.

Let's be fair, an epic thread deserves epic treatment.

AOK...will add them thanks
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#7063 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

http://twitter.com/w...tus/19601234541

Regarding Kovalchuk and "systems arbitrator": Source just told me that NHL/NHLPA may agree on arbitrator who *isn't* systems arb.

Systems arbitrator=permanent job; NHL/NHLPA may opt for arbitrator who simply decides this case only. (2/2)

http://twitter.com/S...content=profile
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#7064 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

http://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/19601234541

Regarding Kovalchuk and "systems arbitrator": Source just told me that NHL/NHLPA may agree on arbitrator who *isn't* systems arb.

Systems arbitrator=permanent job; NHL/NHLPA may opt for arbitrator who simply decides this case only. (2/2)

http://twitter.com/S...content=profile

That makes sense, they appear to need one so infrequently it's probably cheaper in the long run to just do a one off deal.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7065 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

http://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/19601234541

Just got off the phone with Bettman. Let him know I was available.

#7066 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

That makes sense, they appear to need one so infrequently it's probably cheaper in the long run to just do a one off deal.

doesn't really make sense to me. for one, the league hasn't needed one for 6 years. two, how does that exactly speed up the process?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#7067 Cal914

Cal914

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

in my opinion the NHL is just doing this to exploit the need for a maximum length on a contract when the CBA is up next year, but if Crosby signed a 35 yr deal it would be perfectly fine
-Cal
Official NJDevs.com keeper of "Zajac's first playoff goal
Official NJDevs.com keeper of The Colorado Rockies

#7068 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

Yeah my phone has been ringing off the hook, he won't stop calling me... :blahblah:

#7069 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

doesn't really make sense to me. for one, the league hasn't needed one for 6 years. two, how does that exactly speed up the process?

Who said anything about speed? I said it's cheaper to use a guy as a one off rather than pay a guy a retainer to do something you almost never use.

The speed of this is almost always fine anyway, since it's almost never used, and we have no idea how much using a 1 off is going to affect the speed now. It looks like both sides are going to try to keep it quick.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7070 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

This is thread?

nice!

Look at the Devils Roster. Kovy is on it. Now look at his contract. Back at the Roster. Kovy is gone. So is the contract. I'm on a horse.

Excellent

...and the feelings so real, you can feel the feeling...

I'm hooked on the feeling!

Guys, I don't know if I'm freaking out about Kovalchuk's situation... and I don't know if somebody already commented about it but I think Kovalchuk has different colored eyes. I think I was staring at his pictures for too long... LOL
I know that it doesn't matter, I think it is cool. Can somebody tell me if I am wrong?

'Bout time someone tackled the tough subjects on this thread!!!
His left eye is darker then the right, he's a cyborg. Either it's what they had in stock in Tvar, or the eyes have two different jobs. Posted Image

Slut. ewwww. :puke:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#7071 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

I want to see naked pictures of Scott Stevens... :rant: I read in some comments on one of GW's blogs that some guy didnt' expect everyone to have a tea party on Scott Stevens dick... I wish he hadn't written that. I havent' thought about it in such a long time. He's old now and stuff - but... I still want to see him naked...

oh nevermind <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn, 26 July 2010 - 05:10 PM.

I'm here for the party

#7072 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

dear me
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#7073 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

If there is a retainer for a system arbitrator, I imagine it's something negligible from the league's point of view, something like $10k to 20k per year, so it's not a cost issue.

The arbitrator for this, if it's a lawyer in NYC, will cost something like $700 an hour.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#7074 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

I have to say, if we lose, this can get very ugly. Bettman can cause all kinds of very serious damage should the NHL win, and seeing as how he absolutely loves the Devils ( :whistling: ), I have no doubt he will use every one of the abilities given to him under the CBA. He can impose up to a $5M fine on the Devils, which counts against the cap, plus another $1M fine on Kovalchuk. As if that weren't enough, he can also take draft picks away.

Eh, we already have a 5 million dollar fine that counts against the cap.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#7075 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

:rimshot:

Sucks that Frolov seems like he is going to the rags. Will be interesting to see what they do to clear the cap space.

#7076 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

That 5mil you speak of =Rolston?

#7077 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

:hail: We should keep this thread open till Kovalchuk retires, maybe we could get 1 million replies! :offtopic:

#7078 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

That 5mil you speak of =Rolston?

Good one
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#7079 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

they are not punished for losing the case. only the player/agent can be fined for the case. I don't even see how they can be punished by the league because it's a non existant incident. they wrote a bad contract and the player/agent went to the PA and complained. the Devils did none of the kind. it's not circumvention if it didn't happen, and the league would have to have an investigation in order to find out if there was some kind of deal under the table that would lead you to believe actual circumvention.

you guys spazz too easily about this stuff, and if TG says they can be punished in the hearing, he's wrong.

if Bettman pushes too hard, he's done... because it will end up in the real courts and he'd be forced to punish other teams. he needs all the votes he can get. let's not forget, he almost lost his job for the head of Texas Motor Speedway following the lockout. and he knows what about what?!

his position is not as strong as it seems. if they were really interested in dropping the hammer, they should have allowed the contract and then investigated it. really, the way I see it, the only realistic way the team can be punished is if the arbitrator rules FOR the PA, not against it.

#7080 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,013 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

:rimshot:

Sucks that Frolov seems like he is going to the rags. Will be interesting to see what they do to clear the cap space.

? they have plenty of cap space to sign him, if I recall.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users