12374 replies to this topic

#7361 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

ugh why wait till wednesday to start this, lets start this process monday!

Canadian holiday Monday
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7362 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

:offtopic: but I watched Brodeur: A Winner Above All on NHL network and wow we all know how amazing he is as an athlete but the show made me truly respect him more then I ever had the games played the saves playoff shutouts year after year doing just about the same thing. Any Devils fan should see this if you have not already, with that show and this thread this has been the best off season without winning a cup! Thanks Lou and Kovy, and Marty will always be the face of the Devils IMO!
Oh and Thank you to all on this site for making my summer a hockey filled one. :cheers:
GO Devils!

#7363 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Well here's hoping Dick Block can do us a favor.

LOL
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#7364 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Well here's hoping Dick Block can do us a favor.

Was going to make the *exact* same post LMAO
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#7365 HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Getting To Know Richard Block, the Kovalchuk Arbitrator, by Bobby Scribe (LA Kings)

http://lakingsnews.c...huk-arbitrator/

Posted on July 30, 2010 by Bobby Scribe

It is now widely believed that the arbitrator for the NHLPA v. NHL grievance regarding the Ilya Kovalchuk 17 year, $102 million dollar contract and whether its terms violate the CBA will be Richard Bloch. Bloch is a graduate of Dartmouth and received a Masters in Business and a Law Degree from the University of Michigan. He has been arbitrating sports related matters for well over 20 years.

He may be best known for upholding the suspension of Terrell Owens (that’s football for those who are wondering what NHL team Owens may have played for). Thereafter, the NFLPA executive director, Gene Upshaw said emphatically that he would have Bloch removed from the process. He stated, “when an arbitrator decides to (mis)interpret and add on to the collective bargaining agreement, he can’t be an arbitrator any more.”

Bloch has been involved in many NHL arbitrators. To pick a few, he gave Scott Gomez (when he was a Devil) a $5 million dollar award for the 2006-2007 season. That left New Jersey scrambling to figure out how to sign him with the cap issues (sound familiar?) and we all know what happened then. He awarded Ray Bourque $2.25 million (with which Bourque was very disappointed) for the 1993-1994 season. That award made Bourque the highest paid defenseman for that coming season. He ruled that the Rangers had to pay Bobby Holik and Jed Ortmeyer their respective signing bonuses the team withheld during and after the 2004-05 NHL lockout.

His decisions do not give a clear indication of any bias. One I suppose can read into the Owens decision. LAKingsnews is still digging to see what else we can find about Bloch and his past NHL decisions. If we find anything useful that may show a pattern, we will update this article.

As a side note, do not be surprised if members of our Kings are asked to testify. They are after all witnesses to the negotiations that took place and those negotiations may not be confidential. This may be the topic of another article.

#7366 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

The arbiter has been chosen (hope this joke hasn't been used yet :giggle: )

Posted Image

We've got jackals in the courtyard!!
Posted Image

#7367 ClarkyDano23

ClarkyDano23

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

Beat me to it, lol
-CD23

"Not one camera, not one reporter. But, guess what? If that kid was hurt, I woulda had everyone in that friggin building in front of my face. Isn't that true? But guess what, no one's hurt, so there's nothing to write about."
-Scott Stevens regarding both, his hit in Game 4 on Sami Kapanen during Round 1 against the Hurricanes in 2001, and the media looking for something to write about

My Youtube Page! - http://www.youtube.com/McKay4429061

My Devils Photos! - http://www.flickr.co...57602625649087/

http://www.pokerroad.com

#7368 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Let's all go to the arbitration site with signs and banners! FREE KOVY!

HELL NO!!!!

WE want

"LOCK UP KOVY" signs!!!

17 years to life!!! Posted Image

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#7369 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Don't know why, but for some reason I feel the fact that Bloch is originally from NJ could only help us. Unless he grew up a Rangers / Flyers fan and is now a Caps fan...then we are screwed.
Posted Image Posted Image

#7370 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Don't know why, but for some reason I feel the fact that Bloch is originally from NJ could only help us. Unless he grew up a Rangers / Flyers fan and is now a Caps fan...then we are screwed.

Yep, it could hurt us as much as help us. At least if he was from Arizona or somewhere like that, we can say he probably has no real thoughts about the Devils. But if he's from NJ, he can be a fan of any number of the rivalry teams we have in the area, at which point it could definitely hurt us.

#7371 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

This guy doesn't seem to rule in favor of the player/team much...
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#7372 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

i think if we all wear our tinfoil hats it will go okay.

give me a break, this guy being from new jersey means absolutely nothing. he's been a sports arbitrator for years. he ruled against the rangers in 2008. he ruled that gomez should be paid 5 million a season in 2006.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#7373 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

He's by the book...hence why he was chosen.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#7374 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

give me a break, this guy being from new jersey means absolutely nothing. he's been a sports arbitrator for years. he ruled against the rangers in 2008. he ruled that gomez should be paid 5 million a season in 2006.

Absolutely, I agree with you. But still, we're all human and and you never know what's going on inside a guy's head. All I'm saying is I would have felt better about him if he wasn't from NJ.

#7375 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Maybe we are reading into it too much, but I do find it strange the league went with ties to Jersey. You would think it would be someone from a neutral area. Especially since this decision will have a big effect on the Devils, as well as Newark. Kovy = More ticket sales.
If he does accept the contract I see other teams fans crying foul and saying his roots had something to do with the decision.
Posted Image Posted Image

#7376 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

Maybe we are reading into it too much, but I do find it strange the league went with ties to Jersey. You would think it would be someone from a neutral area. Especially since this decision will have a big effect on the Devils, as well as Newark. Kovy = More ticket sales.
If he does accept the contract I see other teams fans crying foul and saying his roots had something to do with the decision.

the guy has been an arbitrator for the NHL for years. where he comes from has nothing to do with it. it's entirely possible that he is not even a hockey fan, as he is 67 years old and grew up in new jersey in the 1950s.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#7377 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Right. I'm sure this guy takes his profession seriously. It doesn't matter who the hell he's a fan of or where he grew up.

This guy doesn't seem to rule in favor of the player/team much...

This makes absolutely zero sense. Arbitrations are usually Player vs. Team.

HELL NO!!!!

WE want

"LOCK UP KOVY" signs!!!

Well done Mr. Fan. Clever.

Edited by ben00rs, 31 July 2010 - 08:13 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#7378 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

Too bad it wasn't an 18 yr deal or we could just play 18 and life by skid row. Missed opportunities
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#7379 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

HELL NO!!!!

WE want

"LOCK UP KOVY" signs!!!

haha unless he gets off at age 40 for good behavior :evil:

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#7380 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

Too bad it wasn't an 18 yr deal or we could just play 18 and life by skid row. Missed opportunities

Well there's always a rewrite of Winger's " Seventeen" that we could work with.
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users