12374 replies to this topic

#801 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

Pretty credible source from HF has the deal for 7 years @ 8.8 per. Holy fizzle is that steep if true. I would never have thought we would go anywhere near a figure like that.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#802 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

in case anyone missed it, Strang said the Isles are out and so are the Kings. So who's left? Russia?
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#803 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

how come all of a sudden we are making a big trade with St.Louis? (Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) 2.3%) :noclue:
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#804 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

Pretty credible source from HF has the deal for 7 years @ 8.8 per. Holy fizzle is that steep if true. I would never have thought we would go anywhere near a figure like that.

I'm going to throw up if that's true. That's way too much money, and I don't know why Lou would go that high. It doesn't make sense.

#805 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

Unless Lou is dumping Rolston,Salvador and Zubrus I think this deal would make me sick to my stomach.

Edited by SS-SS, 05 July 2010 - 10:10 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#806 The Facepainter

The Facepainter

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, I just read that. Dagoon pretty much nailed the Kovy and Jokinen trades a couple days before they happened. I would normally be excited, but I don't like that contract at all. We'll have no choice but to go with a very young roster, who might not all be ready. Salvadore seems like the most obvious to go at 2.9. But up front we might lose someone very valuable like Zubrus, Lags and/or Elias. Rolston would be a miracle.

Anyway the contract in itself does not sound good at 8.8. He is not worth that money. That's an over payment by about 1.5-2 million. I hope his numbers are wrong.

#807 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

the original post report had it at 7 yrs $60 mil which is just over 8.5 and nobody was complaining really. And now it's 8.8 and everyone's going crazy. It's $300,000 aka not a big deal

#808 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

I'm going to throw up if that's true. That's way too much money, and I don't know why Lou would go that high. It doesn't make sense.

Very little about the Kovy treatment has made sense from the moment we got him...from letting him freelance and stay out for four minute power plays to giving him a Rangers-like contract to re-sign. Christ, I get that he's important from the business aspect and I like that he was one of the few to show heart last year but this would feel like a pyhrric victory.

If you can promise me that we get rid of Rolston and Salvador or White relatively pain-free with no other casualties this offseason then manage to re-sign Zach before arbitration preferably then I'll say fine, give Kovy what he wants but if I'm Zach's agent now I'm asking for $9 million, no ifs ands or buts.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#809 The Facepainter

The Facepainter

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

This also is the same numbers in the earlier rumor today which was 60-63mil over 7 years.
8.8 works out to about 62 over 7 years.

#810 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

Very little about the Kovy treatment has made sense from the moment we got him...from letting him freelance and stay out for four minute power plays to giving him a Rangers-like contract to re-sign. Christ, I get that he's important from the business aspect and I like that he was one of the few to show heart last year but this would feel like a pyhrric victory.

If you can promise me that we get rid of Rolston and Salvador or White relatively pain-free with no other casualties this offseason then manage to re-sign Zach before arbitration preferably then I'll say fine, give Kovy what he wants but if I'm Zach's agent now I'm asking for $9 million, no ifs ands or buts.

but you're not getting it next year before arbitration. He could get that per year if he signed something like a 15 yr deal though. He'd have to wait an extra year to get it unrestricted and usually players like him don't make it to free agency

#811 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Addressing all posts:

A. Kovy isn't going to Russia

B: If 8.8 is correct then he is making 61.6 over 7 years, which isn't much higher than the reported 60 mill.

C. WE NEED (not should) to get rid of 2 of either Rolston, Salvador, Zubrus or White (Zuby ad White are hard to let go of but we might have to move them)

D. Parise will never get 9 million dollars a year nor will he ask for it, never. If he asks for that Lou will laugh in his face and be like, "no really, how much you asking for?" At the very most he gets 8, but I put it at about 7.5

but you're not getting it next year before arbitration. He could get that per year if he signed something like a 15 yr deal though. He'd have to wait an extra year to get it unrestricted and usually players like him don't make it to free agency

Let me get this straight: You're saying that Parise can get 9 mill a year if he signs for 15 yrs?

Edited by ben00rs, 05 July 2010 - 10:26 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#812 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, I just read that. Dagoon pretty much nailed the Kovy and Jokinen trades a couple days before they happened. I would normally be excited, but I don't like that contract at all. We'll have no choice but to go with a very young roster, who might not all be ready. Salvadore seems like the most obvious to go at 2.9. But up front we might lose someone very valuable like Zubrus, Lags and/or Elias. Rolston would be a miracle.

Anyway the contract in itself does not sound good at 8.8. He is not worth that money. That's an over payment by about 1.5-2 million. I hope his numbers are wrong.

It's steep for sure but if you want to land a big fish like Kovalchuk you're going to have to pony up. Look at Rolston at 5 million. Ilya is only worth 1.5 million more? That would be hard to justify. And that would mean he wouldn't even get a raise on this contract. Gomez at 7 million? Granted, all these contracts are crazy but it is what it is. I would have been thrilled at 7.5 million and very content even at 8 million fwiw.

Lou is not stupid and you have to believe that he is considering Parise's place in all of this. I'm not sure what the plan is but this will force the team to cut some dead weight and move in a different direction. The cap is likely to go up I would guess so hopefully things will be ok.

These figures may not be exact but considering the source's history I can't see it being that far off at all.

Edited by Sickman, 05 July 2010 - 10:27 PM.

New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#813 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

D. Parise will never get 9 million dollars a year nor will he ask for it, never. If he asks for that Lou will laugh in his face and be like, "no really, how much you asking for?" At the very most he gets 8, but I put it at about 7.5

Why? Zach's a better all-around player than Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk's a slightly better scorer but Zach is so much better defensively and intangibles-wise (intelligence, the fact he is probably the future captain) it's not even a question. He'd have every right to ask for more money.

Edited by Hasan4978, 05 July 2010 - 10:27 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#814 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

Why? Zach's a better all-around player than Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk's a slightly better scorer but Zach is so much better defensively it's not even a question. He'd have every right to ask for more money.

duncan keith should demand more money than brian campbell. what a joke that he doesn't make more.

edit - oh and marc savard making less than milan lucic, and kimmo timonen makes more than chris pronger, and cristobal huet - more than roberto luongo!

Edited by Triumph, 05 July 2010 - 10:28 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#815 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

here's what i don't get re: kovy and the contract.

you're 27 - once you've signed 7 years, you can consider this your last big payday - is it possible at 34 he gets another mammoth deal - sure, i suppose if he's scored 35+ goals the last 7 years (let's surely hope so). but it's not entirely likely. so i don't understand why, knowing how the cap works, they don't give him a 13 year, $91MM deal and structure it so he's paid plenty over the first 7 years to work the present day value to an acceptable level and then start stepping down the last 6 years to make them relatively small payments. this is not a new loop hole - plenty of teams are already doing this.

again - unless he thinks he's going to be able to get another $60MM in 7 years to net him $120 over the next 14 years, i don't see why lou and him don't work this out - sure it's more $ for JVB but hey, he's probably the one telling Lou to get him in the first place.

i would do the similar w/ Parise. you'd be amazed what even an extra $1MM in cap space can do for you.

as for what Lou needs to do - it's going to cost a 1st to get out of this mess should Kovy sign - the islanders trade i proposed previously makes sense for every one involved.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#816 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

Why? Zach's a better all-around player than Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk's a slightly better scorer but Zach is so much better defensively and intangibles-wise (intelligence, the fact he is probably the future captain) it's not even a question. He'd have every right to ask for more money.

It's simple. First off, 8.8 is the max Kovy would get from anywhere.

Secondly, to say that Parise is a better all-around player doesn't tell the whole story. Teams don't invest their fortunes in hard-work, they invest in talent and hard-work. The level of Kovy's hockey talent is miles above Parise's. You know that if you invest in Kovy you are going to get that talent for seven years. If Parise gets injured he might become half the player he once was. That doesn't happen for a Kovalchuk or a Heatley type player unless the injury is very serious.

Then there is the fact that Parise is going to be a RFA. The Devils will be able to give him the best offer without breaking 8 mill.

Then there's the point that Kovy playing at his worst is still going to register a 40 goal/85 point season. Parise at his worst would be somewhere around 30 goals/ 70 points. That's the difference between a premier NHL player like Parise and a NHL superstar like Kovy.

I say all this and I love ZP9 as a player and a person.

#817 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,051 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

duncan keith should demand more money than brian campbell. what a joke that he doesn't make more.

edit - oh and marc savard making less than milan lucic, and kimmo timonen makes more than chris pronger, and cristobal huet - more than roberto luongo!

Oh please, I know you're tired of people worrying about Zach but your sarcasm got old two years ago. You know they're comparable, they'll both be going UFA in the prime of their careers. I'm not saying Zach will hold out for nine I'm saying we'd better make nice with him and his agent pretty darn soon.

I don't even think a couple of those examples are true, Pronger's getting paid much more than Timonen the next three years, until the last two years of his contract when he's at retirement age plummet the cap number. Plus Huet and Luongo don't play on the same team, come on now.

#818 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

Duncan Keith is making more money than Brian Campbell, until the voidable years kick in. In 2017, when he'll be 34.

Look, when a player like Parise has a "comparable", and the player is on another team, Lou can say "that GM is nuts!"
But when Lou gives out the contract himself, he can't go and say "I'm nuts!". That won't fly, even if it's true. :lol:

This is nuts. In a league without a cap, who cares, although you wouldn't get him for that in a league without a cap, because the Teacher's Pension or Dolan could just buy him. Hopefully we get something out of him, and if we don't, he skips town in July 2013.

#819 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

here's what i don't get re: kovy and the contract.

you're 27 - once you've signed 7 years, you can consider this your last big payday - is it possible at 34 he gets another mammoth deal - sure, i suppose if he's scored 35+ goals the last 7 years (let's surely hope so). but it's not entirely likely. so i don't understand why, knowing how the cap works, they don't give him a 13 year, $91MM deal and structure it so he's paid plenty over the first 7 years to work the present day value to an acceptable level and then start stepping down the last 6 years to make them relatively small payments. this is not a new loop hole - plenty of teams are already doing this.

again - unless he thinks he's going to be able to get another $60MM in 7 years to net him $120 over the next 14 years, i don't see why lou and him don't work this out - sure it's more $ for JVB but hey, he's probably the one telling Lou to get him in the first place.

i would do the similar w/ Parise. you'd be amazed what even an extra $1MM in cap space can do for you.

as for what Lou needs to do - it's going to cost a 1st to get out of this mess should Kovy sign - the islanders trade i proposed previously makes sense for every one involved.

First off, we don't want to be stuck with any player for 13 years.

Secondly, Kovy doesn't want to be stuck anywhere for 13 years. Some players do, some don't Kovy is the type thaat leaves his options open.

#820 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

the devils could easily front-load a parise contract and make it 13 years-65 million if it came down to that. and hell, they may not even have to do that if zach would agree to a one-year deal, because new jersey is losing so much salary over the next 3 years with expiring contracts that won't have to be replaced by lucrative RFA contracts until 2013-14 and beyond.

my point is that canuck fans, blackhawk fans, red wing fans were all like 'HOW THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO KEEP ALL THESE GUYS?!?!?!?!?!?!' and then they did.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users