12306 replies to this topic

#9961 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,946 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

chesnokov says KHL is offering kovalchuk between 1-3 years. i don't think any of those contracts make sense for ilya unless they are for some outlandish amount of tax-free money.

Edited by Triumph, 26 August 2010 - 10:40 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9962 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

chesnokov says KHL is offering kovalchuk between 1-3 years. i don't think any of those contracts make sense for ilya unless they are for some outlandish amount of tax-free money.

Plus something that was under-reported that the parent company of SKA was starting to express uneasiness with giving huge amounts of money to players. I can't imagine that any of these KHL teams, even the big ones, can make any money with even a $20 million pay roll. Most of them play in arenas that are about the size of South Mountain Arena.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#9963 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Plus something that was under-reported that the parent company of SKA was starting to express uneasiness with giving huge amounts of money to players. I can't imagine that any of these KHL teams, even the big ones, can make any money with even a $20 million pay roll. Most of them play in arenas that are about the size of South Mountain Arena.

I think it's just a couple like SKA who have the means to offer guys like Kovy. the rest just sit back and basically operate like it's still the superleague, not something that's designed to compete with the NHL
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#9964 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

Maybe we should get Chris Christie involved. I hear he's good with numbers! :rolleyes:

#9965 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,946 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

meh. it's the president's brother, what are they going to do about it? still, a 1 year deal makes little sense unless it pays him like $10 million tax-free, because he can probably wave bye-bye to a lot of those front-loaded deals; most of the teams that could offer them won't really have the ability to do so in a year. plus a year where he doesn't lead the KHL in goals would look bad (and he didn't lead the league in 2004-05). 2 and 3 year deals have him heading into labor strife if he wishes to return to the NHL, and teams will be wary of making huge commitments coming into or going out of labor difficulties.

i did forget that kovalchuk played in the KHL in 2005-06 while holding out from atlanta. it's possible he could do that again.

#9966 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

Kovy is not going to the KHL, end of story...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#9967 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

NHL says they wanta contract shorter than 13 years...... Kovy probably wants same money, Devils cap hit would end up being 8 or more higher.....

KHL could pull this off no problem.

its illegal for the NHL to dictate contract lengths

#9968 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Yeah but the can do an end around by just rejecting the contract based on length. That's the Catch-22

#9969 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

Apparently not when the Devils are trying to land the "big fish"....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#9970 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

Kovy is not going to the KHL, end of story...

You don't know this...

#9971 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

You don't know this...

I will make a sig bet with anyone who wants to....Kovy will not play in the KHL next year, if anyone wants to bet that he will and is adamant about it, you let me know....

#9972 gogonjdevil

gogonjdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

There's also no way they could reject a contract based on the precedent they set earlier. Haven't you heard...Bettman is the law. Judge Dredd eat your heart out.

believe-mb30.jpg
gallery_47_36_882.png of ALL Devil's Fans' Hatred and Animosity toward Bettman!
I HOPE YOU GET A DISFIGURING DISEASE AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE LOOKING LIKE A TROLL, BETTMAN. Oh...TOO LATE!!

#9973 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

say 17 years or so. done deal.

Bettman has already said he would sign off on that... Anyone but the Devils right?
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#9974 dejaentendu2101

dejaentendu2101

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

I will make a sig bet with anyone who wants to....Kovy will not play in the KHL next year, if anyone wants to bet that he will and is adamant about it, you let me know....

I bet he will.

#9975 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

There's also no way they could reject a contract based on the precedent they set earlier. Haven't you heard...Bettman is the law. Judge Dredd eat your heart out.

Bettman and his sidekick Daly need to be burned in town square. They are making a joke out of the free agency process....

#9976 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

if you want to go on precedent, then the Devils didn't give Kovalchuk a contract like Hossa or Luongo. those contracts earn about 6.5% of the total salary over the last 4 years of the deal. Kovalchuk's was around 3% for the last 6 years of the deal.

give a 15 year deal where Kovalchuk earns 13%+ over the last 4 years and its a significantly different ball game.

it would give the NHL pause when considering a rejection.

if they lost, fine, it's a different contract than Hossa/Luongo and others 'under investigation' and you can just move on.

but if they WON and they rejected a contract where 13%+ was earned over the last 4 years but DO NOT FINE teams for contracts where under 7% are earned over the last 4 years....they are faced with fining BIG MARKET US clubs and a Canadian market.

the NHL and Bloch agreed that as the contract was written, there was nothing illegal. this means term, money, raises/decreases. what really stood out was the amount of money earned in the first 11 years and the lack of money earned in the final 6.

going from 3% to 13% is a 400% increase in the amount of money he is earning over a shorter contract. that's a significant inrease.

#9977 PattyElias26

PattyElias26

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

This may have been posted earlier but I dont remember seeing it.

Bettman rejects the fact that the NHL rejected a 2nd attempt

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5497013
Posted Image of Devils Fans in Caps Country Posted ImagePosted Image

#9978 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

This may have been posted earlier but I dont remember seeing it.

Bettman rejects the fact that the NHL rejected a 2nd attempt

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5497013

Bettman rejects the fact that he is in fact a reject.... Throw him under a moving bus on its way to Nashville!
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#9979 dejaentendu2101

dejaentendu2101

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

This.

Why do people keep saying that? Maybe he is tired of the NHL after all this.

#9980 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,946 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

if you want to go on precedent, then the Devils didn't give Kovalchuk a contract like Hossa or Luongo. those contracts earn about 6.5% of the total salary over the last 4 years of the deal. Kovalchuk's was around 3% for the last 6 years of the deal.

give a 15 year deal where Kovalchuk earns 13%+ over the last 4 years and its a significantly different ball game.

it would give the NHL pause when considering a rejection.

if they lost, fine, it's a different contract than Hossa/Luongo and others 'under investigation' and you can just move on.

but if they WON and they rejected a contract where 13%+ was earned over the last 4 years but DO NOT FINE teams for contracts where under 7% are earned over the last 4 years....they are faced with fining BIG MARKET US clubs and a Canadian market.

the NHL and Bloch agreed that as the contract was written, there was nothing illegal. this means term, money, raises/decreases. what really stood out was the amount of money earned in the first 11 years and the lack of money earned in the final 6.

going from 3% to 13% is a 400% increase in the amount of money he is earning over a shorter contract. that's a significant inrease.

but kovalchuk probably wouldn't accept this deal. so okay, the deal has to give kovalchuk 13% in the final 4 years, so let's call that 4 3 3 3. with a 15 year, 100 million dollar contract, kovalchuk would have a structure like 7 7 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 6 6 6 4 3 3 3. he's not going to be playing those final years, so he probably loses out on at least $6 million, and with any injuries, he could easily lose out on $19 million. plus this deal doesn't make him the highest paid player in the NHL. plus time value of money, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users