12374 replies to this topic

#10021 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

NHL says they wanta contract shorter than 13 years...... Kovy probably wants same money, Devils cap hit would end up being 8 or more higher.....

KHL could pull this off no problem.

its illegal for the NHL to dictate contract lengths

#10022 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Yeah but the can do an end around by just rejecting the contract based on length. That's the Catch-22

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#10023 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

Apparently not when the Devils are trying to land the "big fish"....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#10024 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

Kovy is not going to the KHL, end of story...

You don't know this...

#10025 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

You don't know this...

I will make a sig bet with anyone who wants to....Kovy will not play in the KHL next year, if anyone wants to bet that he will and is adamant about it, you let me know....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#10026 gogonjdevil

gogonjdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

There's also no way they could reject a contract based on the precedent they set earlier. Haven't you heard...Bettman is the law. Judge Dredd eat your heart out.

believe-mb30.jpg
gallery_47_36_882.png of ALL Devil's Fans' Hatred and Animosity toward Bettman!
I HOPE YOU GET A DISFIGURING DISEASE AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH LIFE LOOKING LIKE A TROLL, BETTMAN. Oh...TOO LATE!!

#10027 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

say 17 years or so. done deal.

Bettman has already said he would sign off on that... Anyone but the Devils right?
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#10028 dejaentendu2101

dejaentendu2101

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

I will make a sig bet with anyone who wants to....Kovy will not play in the KHL next year, if anyone wants to bet that he will and is adamant about it, you let me know....

I bet he will.

#10029 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

There's also no way they could reject a contract based on the precedent they set earlier. Haven't you heard...Bettman is the law. Judge Dredd eat your heart out.

Bettman and his sidekick Daly need to be burned in town square. They are making a joke out of the free agency process....

#10030 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

if you want to go on precedent, then the Devils didn't give Kovalchuk a contract like Hossa or Luongo. those contracts earn about 6.5% of the total salary over the last 4 years of the deal. Kovalchuk's was around 3% for the last 6 years of the deal.

give a 15 year deal where Kovalchuk earns 13%+ over the last 4 years and its a significantly different ball game.

it would give the NHL pause when considering a rejection.

if they lost, fine, it's a different contract than Hossa/Luongo and others 'under investigation' and you can just move on.

but if they WON and they rejected a contract where 13%+ was earned over the last 4 years but DO NOT FINE teams for contracts where under 7% are earned over the last 4 years....they are faced with fining BIG MARKET US clubs and a Canadian market.

the NHL and Bloch agreed that as the contract was written, there was nothing illegal. this means term, money, raises/decreases. what really stood out was the amount of money earned in the first 11 years and the lack of money earned in the final 6.

going from 3% to 13% is a 400% increase in the amount of money he is earning over a shorter contract. that's a significant inrease.

#10031 PattyElias26

PattyElias26

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

This may have been posted earlier but I dont remember seeing it.

Bettman rejects the fact that the NHL rejected a 2nd attempt

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5497013
Posted Image of Devils Fans in Caps Country Posted ImagePosted Image

#10032 Devildude

Devildude

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

This may have been posted earlier but I dont remember seeing it.

Bettman rejects the fact that the NHL rejected a 2nd attempt

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5497013

Bettman rejects the fact that he is in fact a reject.... Throw him under a moving bus on its way to Nashville!
Still a Fan of Friesen!

Those Devils are Damn Good... DAMN GOOD!!!!

#10033 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

Kovy is not going to the KHL, end of story...

This.
25smul5.png

#10034 dejaentendu2101

dejaentendu2101

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

This.

Why do people keep saying that? Maybe he is tired of the NHL after all this.

#10035 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

if you want to go on precedent, then the Devils didn't give Kovalchuk a contract like Hossa or Luongo. those contracts earn about 6.5% of the total salary over the last 4 years of the deal. Kovalchuk's was around 3% for the last 6 years of the deal.

give a 15 year deal where Kovalchuk earns 13%+ over the last 4 years and its a significantly different ball game.

it would give the NHL pause when considering a rejection.

if they lost, fine, it's a different contract than Hossa/Luongo and others 'under investigation' and you can just move on.

but if they WON and they rejected a contract where 13%+ was earned over the last 4 years but DO NOT FINE teams for contracts where under 7% are earned over the last 4 years....they are faced with fining BIG MARKET US clubs and a Canadian market.

the NHL and Bloch agreed that as the contract was written, there was nothing illegal. this means term, money, raises/decreases. what really stood out was the amount of money earned in the first 11 years and the lack of money earned in the final 6.

going from 3% to 13% is a 400% increase in the amount of money he is earning over a shorter contract. that's a significant inrease.

but kovalchuk probably wouldn't accept this deal. so okay, the deal has to give kovalchuk 13% in the final 4 years, so let's call that 4 3 3 3. with a 15 year, 100 million dollar contract, kovalchuk would have a structure like 7 7 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 6 6 6 4 3 3 3. he's not going to be playing those final years, so he probably loses out on at least $6 million, and with any injuries, he could easily lose out on $19 million. plus this deal doesn't make him the highest paid player in the NHL. plus time value of money, etc.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10036 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Stopped for a 502, next time it's gonna be you...
502 ...LoL!
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#10037 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Why do people keep saying that? Maybe he is tired of the NHL after all this.

Not tired enough to move his entire family to Russia to play for a league that in my opinion won't be anything in 5 years.
25smul5.png

#10038 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Will this thread hit 600? The world waits with baited breath......

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#10039 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

dchesnokov: There is a chance Kovalchuk will start the season in the KHL (Sep 8), but will come back to the NHL when the contract is done.

Next we'll hear "Kovalchuk will play out 2010-2011 season in Russia, and then come back to NHL once contract is finalized later this year." This is not heading in a good direction.

Edited by Amberite, 26 August 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#10040 dejaentendu2101

dejaentendu2101

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

dchesnokov: There is a chance Kovalchuk will start the season in the KHL (Sep 8), but will come back to the NHL when the contract is done.

Next we'll hear "Kovalchuk will play out 2010-2011 season in Russia, and then come back to NHL once contract is finalized later this year." This is not heading in a good direction.

Yup. He's gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users