12374 replies to this topic

#10041 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

dchesnokov: There is a chance Kovalchuk will start the season in the KHL (Sep 8), but will come back to the NHL when the contract is done.

Next we'll hear "Kovalchuk will play out 2010-2011 season in Russia, and then come back to NHL once contract is finalized later this year." This is not heading in a good direction.

once a player plays a game in another league past the date of the opening of the NHL season, he is ineligible to play in the NHL that season. (nothing you say contradicts this, just mentioning it).

i don't think it makes very much sense for kovalchuk to play in the KHL in september. nor, again, do i think it makes sense for him to play there at all.

Edited by Triumph, 26 August 2010 - 11:58 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10042 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

dchesnokov A source just told me that in his opinion it is very possible that Kovalchuk will indeed sign in Russia. NHL is blocking his efforts.

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: I may seriously have to take a break from the NHL this year.

Edited by Amberite, 26 August 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#10043 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Bettman also denied the Chicago Blackhawks' recent loaning of Cristobal Huet to a Swiss club was a kind of circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement given Huet's salary comes off the Blackhawks' books and doesn't count against the salary cap. Huet's cap hit this season would have been $5.625 million.

"It's known as cap management," he said.

I really believe Bettman makes these rules as he goes along. Maybe we can get Rolston to play for a team in the international league while he is under contract.. Let's see what Bettman says then I would bet it would not be " well it's known as cap management " he would find a difference because it would help the Devils.

Edited by Devs1965, 26 August 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#10044 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

Bettman also denied the Chicago Blackhawks' recent loaning of Cristobal Huet to a Swiss club was a kind of circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement given Huet's salary comes off the Blackhawks' books and doesn't count against the salary cap. Huet's cap hit this season would have been $5.625 million.

"It's known as cap management," he said.

I really believe Bettman makes these rules as he goes along. Maybe we can get Rolston to play for a team in the international league while he is under contract.. Let's see what Bettman says then I would bet it would not be " well it's known as cap management " he would find a difference because it would help the Devils.

remember when the devils did this with vitali vishnevski? probably not.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10045 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

dchesnokov A source just told me that in his opinion it is very possible that Kovalchuk will indeed sign in Russia. NHL is blocking his efforts.

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: I may seriously have to take a break from the NHL this year.

Sounds like more propaganda from Russia to me....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#10046 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

If Kovalchuk does indeed sign in Russia, I think things will get pretty ugly between the Devils and the league. I'm sure a lot of fans will be so disgusted that they will take time off from the sport, which will impact the Devils ability to make money. Not to mention the millions lost from potential season ticket sales.

#10047 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

OK has this guy really been 100% right about anything?

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#10048 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

If you're asking about his reliability, yes, he is a very reliable source.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#10049 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

I've been following him for the past two months, and everything he says is pretty spot on, especially any news from Russia.

#10050 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

I agree how frustrating this is as a fan but all these sources have spewed so much bs. No one knows what is reallly happening, I mean really let's face it LL and JVB have been known to keep things so tight lipped that the CIA would be jealous. Everything could be totally different than what we are reading, everyone just wants to be the first, I will be patient and wait for the truth!

#10051 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

but kovalchuk probably wouldn't accept this deal. so okay, the deal has to give kovalchuk 13% in the final 4 years, so let's call that 4 3 3 3. with a 15 year, 100 million dollar contract, kovalchuk would have a structure like 7 7 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 6 6 6 4 3 3 3. he's not going to be playing those final years, so he probably loses out on at least $6 million, and with any injuries, he could easily lose out on $19 million. plus this deal doesn't make him the highest paid player in the NHL. plus time value of money, etc.

And if he really believes "this is team" he should suck it up. He's not Ovechkin or Crosby, IMO he's not as good as Parise, despite his higher ceiling. He will not win a cup on a mediocre team, and if he plays for a bigger cap hit, this team has the vast potential to be mediocre, even with 2 superstars, for the foreseeable future. We tried to sign a deal that would minimize the cap hit and keep him happy. It didn't work. No one else in the NHL seems to want Kovy, except MAYBE the hapless Isles. He needs to stop making us bid against ourselves if he wants to win, or go to Russia if he wants the money. Something has to give here, and Kovy doesn't seem willing. I'm close to saying good riddance.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#10052 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

God I hate Bettman, I really do.
Posted Image Posted Image

#10053 cgosha21

cgosha21

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

As per Twitter:

TGfireandice RT @dchesnokov According to @plysenkov who called Kovy's Rus agent,agent confirmed discussions with the KHL but refused to comment further.

Not Good!

#10054 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

As per Twitter:

TGfireandice RT @dchesnokov According to @plysenkov who called Kovy's Rus agent,agent confirmed discussions with the KHL but refused to comment further.

Not Good!

Any good agent would do their due diligence to find out ANY AND ALL options available to their player. However, I really would be shocked if Kovy played in Russia...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#10055 PattyElias26

PattyElias26

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

As per Twitter:

Not Good!

Until something is official this is how I feel about all this speculation. :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:
Posted Image of Devils Fans in Caps Country Posted ImagePosted Image

#10056 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

Guys, let's chill with the Gamebreaker stuff for a while, okay? I turned off his ability to post for now, it'll be up to DevilMinder and/or msweet as to what to do with him going forward.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#10057 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

Guys, let's chill with the Gamebreaker stuff for a while, okay? I turned off his ability to post for now, it'll be up to DevilMinder and/or msweet as to what to do with him going forward.

cough:BAN:cough

The overwhelming evidence has been presented. Not even his own mother would be able to defend his atrocious behavior on here. Combined with 0 worthwhile posts= JUSTIFIED BAN.

#10058 PattyElias26

PattyElias26

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:47 PM

I mean honestly he provides no benefit to this board. Nothing but someone that takes shots at people, that's all.
Posted Image of Devils Fans in Caps Country Posted ImagePosted Image

#10059 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

cough:BAN:cough

The overwhelming evidence has been presented. Not even his own mother would be able to defend his atrocious behavior on here. Combined with 0 worthwhile posts= JUSTIFIED BAN.

Trust me, I agree with you, but they're the admins, they'll make the final decision.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#10060 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

the deal could get done september 29th and leave lou enough time.

I agree but how smart would it be to let things wait until then? Even greater chance we'd have to take a bad deal or waive players.

Post #10,000?

Edit: Off by one.

Triumph snuck in there and nabbed it.

Posted Image JKJK Posted Image It's about time.

Edited by ben00rs, 26 August 2010 - 12:56 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users