12374 replies to this topic

#10481 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

it's not the length - it's the fact that kovalchuk is 42 at the end of it, making it unlikely he'll be playing.

True but both Hossa and Luongo go to that age. Definitely weakens NHL's argument at any potential arbitration since they already approved deals going to that age. IMO, the bigger issue is how the money is applied to the back end.

#10482 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

If the final years of the contract are $1.5-2M, and the NTC/NMC was fixed to the NHL's liking, I don't see why the league would reject it, 15 years or not. 42 is a very plausible age for a player to stay active until, and $3-4M is enough of an incentive to keep playing those extra 2 years.

#10483 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

So if Bettman doesn't try to railroad this then what do you think Lou has on him: A live boy or a dead hooker?

he has always been fond of Cindy Crosby and he is a well hmmm what is he again,, ??? I see what your saying...

Edited by Devs1965, 27 August 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#10484 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

Don't see a problem with the league accepting the 15/100. It all depends on how the remaing 5-years or the back end of this deal is structured. At $6.66 is not bad at all.

Bettman should heed this warning

Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#10485 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

True but both Hossa and Luongo go to that age. Definitely weakens NHL's argument at any potential arbitration since they already approved deals going to that age. IMO, the bigger issue is how the money is applied to the back end.

bloch's little codicil to his decision basically casts those deals in a poor light and both of them are under investigation.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10486 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

it's not the length - it's the fact that kovalchuk is 42 at the end of it, making it unlikely he'll be playing.

I don't disagree.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#10487 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

bloch's little codicil to his decision basically casts those deals in a poor light and both of them are under investigation.

Yeah, under investigation. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#10488 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'm a bit skeptical of the 15-100...if that's really the deal then it could have been done six weeks ago without any of this bs hassle. All you would have needed to do was lop off two years of the initial contract. I don't think we really went through six weeks of bs to try to save $666,666 of cap space.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#10489 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

I don't disagree.

not commenting on your post, but your sig:

Loved happy valley when i traveled there with University at Buffalo in 2005, loved it, and your fans were the most classy out there, with the exception of one buck-toothed piece of trailer trash driving a yellow hummer who cursed us out at a gas station as he sped off, right through a red light with a cop right behind him.

back on topic:

JUST SAY YES ALREADY GARY!

#10490 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

if you don't see the league having a problem with a 15/100, you got some pretty good crack. I'd like some. :lol:

if that is the offer, it's a colossal, colossal disappointment and I'll have plenty to say afterwards.

that would almost certainly, 100% be denied. he will not take a yearly salary low enough to make it work.

#10491 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Well if they do take 15 years then so much for the reports a few days ago that the NHL didn't want anything longer than 13. And if they don't take 15 then they're shown once again to be hypocrites. I think it's more or less riding on the NTC/NMC and the backloaded money since even Bloch admitted he didn't have a problem with a 15-year deal out of hand.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#10492 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

TGfireandice

The terms R close, not exact. RT @krwetzel: @TGfireandice so when ths deal holds, cn Kovy get own goal song from the Iron Maiden Collection?

not to toot my own horn here but TG just RT'd me lol

small victory, simple things make me happy, lol

Edited by jagknife, 27 August 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#10493 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Whachu talkin bout Maxpower?!?!

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#10494 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

if you don't see the league having a problem with a 15/100, you got some pretty good crack. I'd like some. :lol:

if that is the offer, it's a colossal, colossal disappointment and I'll have plenty to say afterwards.

that would almost certainly, 100% be denied. he will not take a yearly salary low enough to make it work.

it'd be interesting if it were a very flat contract. like it went from 8 to 5 or something like that. bloch said himself that a 17 year contract worth 6 million every season would not be a problem.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10495 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

The years is not the be-all end-all. The league is worried about Kovalchuk playing out his contract, instead of retiring 5 years early. If the deal is structured in a way that alleviates most of that concern (ie, significant money in the later years), then the league has no reason not to accept it.

#10496 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

BREAKING NEWS

kovalchuk to nj is done. E5

Єklund (2.3% accurate) Twitter

http://goo.gl/yt8i

lmao
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#10497 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

The years is not the be-all end-all. The league is worried about Kovalchuk playing out his contract, instead of retiring 5 years early. If the deal is structured in a way that alleviates most of that concern (ie, significant money in the later years), then the league has no reason not to accept it.

exactly what they needed to fix. get more money in later years so they cant say "it's a retirement contract" again

BREAKING NEWS

kovalchuk to nj is done. E5

Єklund (2.3% accurate) Twitter

http://goo.gl/yt8i

lmao

if i cared more, i'd make fun of him with a mention, but not worth it.

i'm going to follow you once i post this

#10498 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

I'm a bit skeptical of the 15-100...if that's really the deal then it could have been done six weeks ago without any of this bs hassle. All you would have needed to do was lop off two years of the initial contract. I don't think we really went through six weeks of bs to try to save $666,666 of cap space.

Lou was probably trying to bring the deal down as slowly as possible to keep the cap hit as manageable as possible. Instead of jumping straight to the 13-year/$91M deal spoken of so much around here, it probably went something like this:

Lou: How about $102M over 17 years.
Daly: We already rejected that.
Lou: OK, how about $101.5M over 17 years.
Daly: Come on, man.
Lou: OK, how about $101M over 16.5 years.
Daly: You can't have half-years in contracts.
Lou: OK, how about $101M over 16 years.
Daly: You're breakin' my balls, Lou.
Lou: OK, how about $101M over 16 years.
Daly: You just said that!
Lou: OK, how about $102M over 17 years.
Daly: You're going in the wrong direction there, chief.
Lou: OK, how about $100.5M over 16 years.
Daly: Only Luongo can play til he's 43.
Lou: OK, How about ... hey, that's B.S.!
Daly: Suck it.
Lou: You suck it.
Daly: Do you wanna sign this Kovalchuk guy or what?
Lou: OK, how about $100M over 15 years.
Daly: I don't hate that.
Lou: Suck it.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#10499 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

read the ruling all the way through. they basically had a problem with every feature of the contract.

I don't see how 15/100 (if real) solves any of those. it would smack of a panic attack by the owner/agent and a last ditch, destined to fail, but if you don't try, you fail anyway.

it doesn't mean the deal is 15/100, but if it is... wow. it's not going to work. not with what you already know. it could work (or come close) if he had alot of 7's and 8's in there, but you know that's not going to be the case.

#10500 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Tom Gulitti TGfireandice

It's probably not professional, but I might cry if NHL rejects this contract.

i literally just lol-ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users