12306 replies to this topic

#10841 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

How soon after he signs do you think we will see deals made?

This is the part the makes the saga interesting. Not so much *if* kovalchuk's deal will be approved (i think it's a fair assumption to call it a lock), but what players are moved in order to accommodate for it.

Like we've all said, Zubrus/Salvador are the most movable based on salary and overall worth. Two pretty solid mid level guys who can definitely help a team out. I'd really hate to lose Zubrus' energy and work ethic, but he may be a likely victim in this.

Everyone's wet dream is to move Rolston, but given his contract, ntc, age, small worth, etc... unlikely unless NJ gives up something significant with him, such as a good prospect or 1st round pick. And then you have to think "is it worth it to give that much up just to save Zubrus", and the answer is likely no. If Lou can pull a magic rabbit out of his ass and somehow move Rolston, then we'll have a lot to celebrate. But don't count on it.

#10842 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

njdevsfn95: kypreos did not mean 15M. also, i hope it isn't a bonus, that makes it much easier for the league to construct a scenario where kovalchuk collects a check in year 15 and then bounces.

the league approved the Koivu contract where the signing bonus was spread out over different years including the final one.

$7,290,000*
$5,400,000
$7,290,000*
$5,400,000
$7,290,000*
$5,400,000
$9,180,000*

granted, $9.18M is a helluva lot more enticing...but just the idea has passed the NHL's...."rules" or whatever they're called now

Edited by njdevsfn95, 31 August 2010 - 10:32 AM.

#10843 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

call me crazy but could anyone see tedneby getting trade with someone like roloston? ..... he is a left winger and we are going to be stacked with left wingers for a while... it would make no sense giving up one of our young centers. Also i do love the kid but i just threw it out there for some food for thought

#10844 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,755 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

call me crazy but could anyone see tedneby getting trade with someone like roloston? ..... he is a left winger and we are going to be stacked with left wingers for a while... it would make no sense giving up one of our young centers. Also i do love the kid but i just threw it out there for some food for thought

Roloston plays for the Isles

#10845 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Roloston plays for the Isles

While we're being technical, Roloson plays for the Isles, not Roloston :whistling:

#10846 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,573 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Devils have until September 17th to get under the cap. The start of training camp.

I could have sworn it was the last day of camp.

Edited by Rock, 31 August 2010 - 10:43 AM.

Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#10847 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

we can add roloson as well, since we are apparently after niemi, that way we can confuse the hell out of the opposition as to why there are 3 bench warming starting goalies.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#10848 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,953 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

the league approved the Koivu contract where the signing bonus was spread out over different years including the final one.

$7,290,000*
$5,400,000
$7,290,000*
$5,400,000
$7,290,000*
$5,400,000
$9,180,000*

granted, $9.18M is a helluva lot more enticing...but just the idea has passed the NHL's...."rules" or whatever they're called now

koivu is 35 when that happens, not 41.

I could have sworn it was the last day of camp.

you swear correctly.

Edited by Triumph, 31 August 2010 - 11:01 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10849 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

Devils have until September 17th to get under the cap. The start of training camp.

They have until the end of training camp, which is early October. Check your sources.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#10850 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

They have until the end of training camp, which is early October. Check your sources.

you are correct. Its October 1st, 2010.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#10851 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Devils latest attempt to sign Kovy is to "disguiise circumvention." "Trying to hide the crime makes this even worse," says NHL exec. TSN.ca

oh oh.... :blink:

www.SterioDesign.com

#10852 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,953 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

rut roh

DarrenDreger - Devils latest attempt to sign Kovy is to "disguiise circumvention." "Trying to hide the crime makes this even worse," says NHL exec. TSN.ca

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10853 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

DarrenDreger Devils latest attempt to sign Kovy is to "disguiise circumvention." "Trying to hide the crime makes this even worse," says NHL exec. TSN.ca

#10854 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 24,937 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Fine, just shut down the sport now and take this to court and litigation if they think the Devils are the only team in history to try to disguise circumvention. I could care less about hockey beyond this year if it's being run by Bettman and Daly.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#10855 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

While I've always been in favor of signing Kovalchuk if possible and I know that you have to give value to get value in a trade especially if you're painted into a corner the way this contract will do to us, I really have to hold my nose and wince at the idea of trading Zubrus or Salvador. I agree with NJD26 in that those guys are valued contributors to this team. I would not be sad to see Langenbrunner or Colin White go. Brian Rolston is a given. I think just about everyone wants him gone.

If Urbom's as good as we hope, Sal's just holding his roster space anyway. We may very well have some combination of Corrente, Eckford and Taormina ready too, and Greene, Tallinder and Volchenkov all have line up spots locked up. Fraser and Salmela (when he's healthy) are on the roster. If they can't trade White, they have to trade Sal or risk slowing down the kids' development.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#10856 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=332232

ok now im really nervous...

www.SterioDesign.com

#10857 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

Oh for the love of tits, this is just getting ridiculous. First they circumvented the cap, now they're disguising the circumvention? I'm sorry, but if the Devils are at least disguising the circumvention, then the Hossa, Luongo, Pronger, etc. deals that are blatant circumventions HAVE TO be rejected.

Fvcking ridiculous. If this gets rejected, can the Devils sue the league for operating in poor faith, allowing certain deals for certain teams to pass while holding them up to a completely different standard?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#10858 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

It's possible, but if he's involved in the deal, the Devils would have to be getting some real value in return. A first round pick from a mediocre team is what I'd demand if that's what's going the other way.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#10859 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

TSN/Dreger: One NHL general manager doesn't believe for a second the league will allow this one to pass either, stating Lou Lamoriello, the Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk are simply trying to "disguise circumvention," adding, "trying to hide the crime, makes this even worse."
Posted Image

#10860 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

Ok upon reading the article, this is some anonymous GM that is saying these remarks. He sounds like he has sand in his vag!na and is just bitching. At first I thought this was an actual NHL league executive saying these comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users