#10841 CADevilsFan

CADevilsFan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Per Dmitry Chesnokov twitter

1. Kovalchuk's contract addressed all of the concerns raised by Bloch and the League, even those raised after the arbitrator's ruling.

Edit: Beaten! Curse you Amberlite!

Edited by CADevilsFan, 30 August 2010 - 06:02 PM.

Posted Image of MrTheMikes Curse and/or Magic & of the Chat Room Drinking Game

#10842 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

the league cannot plausibly say that it doesn't have time. it takes 10 minutes to review all of the terms of a contract and compare them to similar contracts. jersey shore isn't on again until thursday, so that's out as an excuse too.

the league may just let time run out, but i think that's a really terrible decision on the league's part. it makes the league look unsure of itself - the league would get raked over the coals for that. not that it's that concerned with its public image, but i think it would rather lose a rejection than just twiddle its thumbs until wednesday 5 pm comes and goes.

Ok fans might see it as the league being unsure of itself. But other teams will see it as: the league isn't going to let these long-term contracts pass without much reluctance and scrutiny.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#10843 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

they've had one full day.

Mr. Daly? Can you please give Triumph his handle back. Thank you.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#10844 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

Mr. Daly? Can you please give Triumph his handle back. Thank you.

Haha I was just thinking earlier today about how if I didn't know better, I would be sure that Triumph is some league spokesperson. I think it's more of a case where Tri likes to purposely go against the grain and cause conflict, so while everyone else is blasting the NHL, Tri defends it.

#10845 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

http://twitter.com/RealKyper

Last 3 yrs of Luongo's deal ave is 1.2M per. Hossa's 833,000. Ilya last 3 yrs will now ave 2.6M including base of 4M in last 24/25 season..

they're running out of reasons to not let this go through - when the last year is to pay $4MM, i think they've done what is necessary.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#10846 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

they're running out of reasons to not let this go through - when the last year is to pay $4MM, i think they've done what is necessary.

Wow, $4M on the last year, that's pretty ballsy. Kovy is leaving a lot of money on the table if he retires early. As you said, I don't see how they can refuse to put this through at this point. Honestly, I'm shocked the Devils even got Kovalchuk to accept that.

#10847 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

haha that'd be pretty clever if they had a valley in the middle that went 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 4 at the end. thus there's no real 'tail'. no wonder why they're taking so long.

amber: probably because he's getting paid 90 million in the first 10 years.

Edited by Triumph, 30 August 2010 - 06:35 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10848 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

That's a nice idea, bumping the dollars up the very last year, really shows that there is great incentive to play the contract out until the end, more than a flat 2 million through the last 5 years would.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#10849 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

if what kypreos said is true, i think this contract will be accepted.

#10850 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

Thank you captain obvious. Still, Kovalchuk is giving up what probably amounts to close to $6M if he retires even as late as 40. That's a big chunk of change, and a lot more than he would have lost with the previous contract. It's good to see that he's willing to give up some money to make this signing work (if his mindset really is to retire earlier than the contract end date).

Edited by Amberite, 30 August 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#10851 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

But seriously though, what do you think the possibility is that the NHL simply doesn't rule on it and lets the time expire. Is that a actual possibility?

Edited by newarkdev01, 30 August 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#10852 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

haha that'd be pretty clever if they had a valley in the middle that went 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 4 at the end. thus there's no real 'tail'. no wonder why they're taking so long.

since the last three years total 7.8 (per kyper), and the last year is 4, and the last 5 years is 10 we're likely looking at the last 5 years like this:

1.1 1.1 2.0 1.8 4

20082719943.png
-

#10853 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

what takes so long to think that over? seems much less egregious than the constant stepdown contracts. at least he has something very legitimate to play for.

i wonder if the last 5 years actually all step up. .750k, 1.25M, 1.75M, 2.25M, 4M or something to that effect.

#10854 Par9

Par9

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

Catchup on tweets for those who missed it..

dchesnokov: Kovalchuk's friend and a former Pen Alexei Morozov to SovSport: "I spoke to Ilya and he only wants to play in the NHL." Via twitter

dchesnokov: Kovalchuk's contract addressed all of the concerns raised by Bloch and the League, even those raised after the arbitrator's ruling. Via twitter

TGfireandice: I'm told there will be nothing from NHL on the Kovalchuk contract coming today. Via twitter Also confirmed by CraigCustance

Edited by Par9, 30 August 2010 - 07:34 PM.

Official Keeper of Adam Henrique, White on the PP, and Darcy Zajac

#10855 jkrdevil

jkrdevil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

what takes so long to think that over? seems much less egregious than the constant stepdown contracts. at least he has something very legitimate to play for.

i wonder if the last 5 years actually all step up. .750k, 1.25M, 1.75M, 2.25M, 4M or something to that effect.

Because while it addresses concern that the player doesn't have an incentive to play to the end, it makes it very clear that the team has no incentive for the player to play to the end. The likely scenario is at the end of the deal they waive him and loan him out to a team in Russia that would take care of the additional money at the end. This would probably be cheaper than a buyout.

I think it will depend on if there is a No move at the end or a no trade. If there is a full no-move then it is in the hands of the player and he technically has the incentive to play to the end. Of course at that point he probably would waive the no move and move to a less physical league and still get his money, but there is no way the league can get into his head 12-15 years from now. A deal with a No move likely will get approved. I think just a no trade at the end will get rejected. Because there is an escape for the team. They can just easily waive (with or without his consent) him and loan him out and presumably only pay part of with it off the cap.

#10856 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

not sure if anyone has posted this yet http://intenttoblow.com/?p=956 it pretty funny

#10857 njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

1) $10M on the final 5 years
2) $8M over the final 3 years - $2.6avg
3) $4M on the final year.

That makes a ridiculously odd structure.

Even if he meant $20M, it's still an odd structure:

6-6-2-2-4

I feel there is a typo...but Kypreos didn't answer my question to him whether or not this contract 'has a structure not seen in those before it.'

Apparently the Mikko Koivu contract fluctuates, but that's because the signing bonus is spread out over varying years.

Edited by njdevsfn95, 30 August 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#10858 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

the hossa deal has no clause at all, though. i think an NTC through the contract should be fine. it'd be absolutely outrageous if the NHL demanded that a no move clause is necessary.

#10859 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

not sure if anyone has posted this yet http://intenttoblow.com/?p=956 it pretty funny

:rofl:

One has to wonder if the NHL is trying to destroy the game of hockey. There is NO reason to reject this contract considering the ones that have been approved. Bettman & Co. will have to wait until the next CBA to end this contracts. Hopefully they won't end another season as well.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#10860 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Catchup on tweets for those who missed it..

dchesnokov: Kovalchuk's friend and a former Pen Alexei Morozov to SovSport: "I spoke to Ilya and he only wants to play in the NHL." Via twitter

dchesnokov: Kovalchuk's contract addressed all of the concerns raised by Bloch and the League, even those raised after the arbitrator's ruling. Via twitter

TGfireandice: I'm told there will be nothing from NHL on the Kovalchuk contract coming today. Via twitter Also confirmed by CraigCustance

whatever happened to morozov? :offtopic: :offtopic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users